Teams up v Gloucester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Gloucester

Post by mol2 »

The basics were there which frankly hasn't seemed to be the case for at least 2 seasons.

Or pack looked powerful and our maul worked. The once famous Tigers rolling maul is back after a glaring absence of a few years.
Bateman looked useful - as he did last season which begs the question why didn't he get used more at hooker when our pack was being pushed around? The same question applied to Van Vuuren as well last season)

Let's hope that the apparent blindness to individuals struggling doesn't continue when we do have fit alternatives.

Is Slater up to it to the extent that he keeps Kitchener on the bench?
Likewise with Tait keeping Thompstone on the bench.

Obviously one game is too soon to know for sure and to be fair to Slater he's just getting back into the game (a few brief appearances last season after a year out aside)

The front row will be interesting when Mulipola is fit. Which side will he play? Logically you would say tight head but are we thinner in terms of loose heads when presumably Genge will be with England. Balmain would come in for the absent Cole with Bateman starting.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

mol2 wrote:T

Let's hope that the apparent blindness to individuals struggling doesn't continue when we do have fit alternatives.

Are you being serious? I have now watched the game 3 times. Apart from one knock on Slater was fantastic and put in a big shift. People are focusing on Tait's intercepted pass and the penalty and charge down but those things could have happened to Burns and Youngs as well in the game. Apart from that Tait was actually very good in the game. The blindness seems to be in supporters who only see the negatives because they want to have a dig at Cockers or certain players. Thompstone deserves to replace Veianu on the wing.

I am going to go and watch the game for the 4th time, it just gets better everytime I watch it, especially the ending! :smt003
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Doghashadhisday wrote:

Are you being serious? I have now watched the game 3 times. Apart from one knock on Slater was fantastic and put in a big shift. People are focusing on Tait's intercepted pass and the penalty and charge down but those things could have happened to Burns and Youngs as well in the game. Apart from that Tait was actually very good in the game. The blindness seems to be in supporters who only see the negatives because they want to have a dig at Cockers or certain players. Thompstone deserves to replace Veianu on the wing.

I am going to go and watch the game for the 4th time, it just gets better everytime I watch it, especially the ending! :smt003
I'd pretty much agree with all of that Dog, I'll admit that watching the game live I was going Banzai at the screen and yes, Matt Tait did bear the brunt of much of the frustration at the time, but, having watched the match back online this morning - with the benefit of knowing the outcome (I know, I know) - there was far more to compliment the team for than to criticise. Yes, it was helter skelter in the first half, trying to force things, Manu popping out of the line (which when he gets it right - and he will again - is great to watch) causing other defenders to have to cover him and gaps being created as a result. Glaws played some good rugby but that's getting forgotten. Far more of their chances (points) came from 'mistakes' in our attack than by any massive defensive frailties IMO.

No, It wasn't perfect, yes, there are still things to work on, there often are.

It was the first match of the season. It was away. Hopefully, the cobwebs were blown away.

Better to be complaining about overturning a 24 point deficit away from home, than to be wondering how/why you've let a 24 point lead slip at home or who are the bigger 'Eeyores'.

Think I'll go watch it again too :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Yes, it was helter skelter in the first half, trying to force things, Manu popping out of the line (which when he gets it right - and he will again - is great to watch) causing other defenders to have to cover him and gaps being created as a result.
I think this is a valid point which is too often overlooked. In itself, Manu charging unsuccessfully out of the line isn't the problem - the dog-leg that ensues is. Surely it's not beyond the wit of Hansen / the back row to ensure the cover is in place to deal with it?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
johns12

Post by johns12 »

IMHO the 5 points we got on Friday will decide our position on May 7
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

johns12 wrote:IMHO the 5 points we got on Friday will decide our position on May 7
Well they will help more than, say, a LBP but there are a hell of a lot more games to play!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Doghashadhisday wrote:

No Tait wast pants last season. Not a shadow of the player he was and Friday was a howler. His mistakes alone cost 10 points. As you say lots of things could have happened to other players but didn't.....
The pass is perhaps one of those things but when you are the full back don't take a quick penalty if you haven't got the gas to run the ball back and you don't have someone to pass to. How many times did we see him break or evade the first tackler last season? Not enough to keep Veainu out of the full back slot.

Veainu was on crutches after the match so no doubt Tait will get the chance to redeem himself.

I think Slater is a good player but is her currently better than Kitchener?

Kitchener or Slater is a fair question.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Agree, the front row options will be interesting. In fact all the pack could be said the same.
The power of the bench was telling.
Rizzo, Mulipola, Cilliers and Balmain all to come into contention at some point. 3 international props and a Saxon.
Fitzgerald will add some serious grit to our second row or back row, likewise Williams physicality, and Croft's athleticism.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

For the first 50 minutes, it was painful, however, the result was very impressive. We may already have had the game of the season in that respect.

On the other hand, Tigers shipped 31 points in 50 minutes. They had better sort it out, because there are better teams than Glaws in that league who wont allow a come back. In fact, its very worrying and no amount of 'ring rust' can gloss over how easily Glaws scored. Arguably, they had sorted it out as the last 20 minutes were demonstrably better, can't be starting in the same vain every match though.

Tait looked vulnerable.

Manu needs matches to get back into form. Right now, he's not scaring anybody's defence.
Last edited by Roly on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:Roly, it's so stupid having Tuilagi running through people isn't it?!

I mean, it's just plain stupid having someone his size, pace and strength doing that!
So, when was that then? I must have missed it - oh no, I didn't. He did break the line, only he wasn't carrying the ball....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Ayerza is past it in terms of his peak, time for Genge to start and for Ayerza to give 20 mins off bench.

Kitchener works better with Barrow is the lineout master.

Evans has more upside than Hamilton, Hamilton is an average squad player.

Manu at 12 and Betham at 13, playing two players out of position and need someone solid to shore it up till Toomua arrives. Betham has played 15 before for the Waratahs and he can't be worse than Tait, allows Thompstone into the team.

Harrison is a solid club player but Ben Youngs is top 5 scrum halves in the world

Tait - said it before the game and said it last year, past it. Even Raging Bull agrees. Tait will unfortunately have to play in squad while Veainu is injured

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Barrow
5. Kitch
6. O'Connor
7. Evans
8. McCafferey
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. JPP
12. Smith
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompstone
15. Betham

16. Ayerza
17. McGuigan
18. Bateman
19. SLater
20. Hamilton
21. Harrison
22. Williams
23. Tait
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I agree with that team , apart from Evans/Hamilton. Sad to hear that Veianu is injured but I too would go for Betham at 15 . Tait was poor last season and Friday was not a one-off - he offers nothing in attack and unreliable in defence .
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Doghshadhisday's assessment of the match based on watching it in entirety exactly matches my own. Tait had a reasonable game but the quick throw in was a mistake, the attempted kick through was either unlucky or poorly executed. The interception was down to good anticipation by Sharples, had the ball gone to hand we had a two man overlap. if Tait had retained the ball and been tackled we would all have been saying why didn't he pass.
The game is much easier to play from the stands or the couch, there were errors, Cocker and his staff will be working on them this week but after eighty minutes we have an away win and five Premiership points, I am happy with that.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

fentiger wrote:Some excellent analysis here: http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/eng ... back-69141
Never seen this before - you are absolutely correct - it is a brilliant analysis of the play and what the players did and their reasons for doing it.

Just had some fun by reading the shedweb for the first time this year - they are not happy but have worked out some good reasons why they lost - no goal kick 8 mins from the end and a bench which is not good enough. There cannot be a club anywhere in the world who has a better front row and replacement front row than the one we have - doesn't make a team but goes a long way towards it.
Hehehehehehehehe