Is this year pivotal for Cockers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is this year pivotal for Cockers?

Post by MrPartridge »

Aside from the hilarious Michael Cheika post... just wondering how people think about our DOR going into this year? 3 years without silverware isn't a great return and no Twickenham Finals in that time either. Of course he is doing a great Arsene Wenger impersonation and bringing us top 4 and Euro rugby each season, but we've not managed a home SF in that time (aside from Racing...).

Is he doing a great job with what he has available, or could someone else take it to the next level?
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is this year pivotal for Cockers?

Post by Snorbins »

Isn't AM taking the development to the next level? Any Director is only as good as the staff he surrounds himself with.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

The more sympathetic amongst us realise it's a very difficult job what with the salary cap, internationals, agents, injuries and snooty kids who want it all to contend with and all the time a more competitive Premiership building.
Some are very unforgiving but then Cockers has appeared very unforgiving himself in the past so is it fair game!
My own personal feelings are that Cockers or Mauger or both together threw away a great opportunity to reach the European Cup Final last season.
Once in a final then that can be a great leveller IMO and anything is possible.
Thacker over Bateman for the semi-final match against Racing was sheer stupidity IMO, if they can do that then I'm not sure what they are capable of and that occasion definitely has tested my levels of sympathy!
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Isn't every year pivotal for Cockers? However he seems to struggle through it. But another year without silverware of any kind and I do not count the Anglo/Welsh trophy, will pose serious questions as whether he is up to the job, just a simple European qualification won't do!
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

MrPartridge wrote:... but we've not managed a home SF in that time (aside from Racing...)...
Are you Irish, Mr Peurtag?
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

MrPartridge wrote:Aside from the hilarious Michael Cheika post... just wondering how people think about our DOR going into this year? 3 years without silverware isn't a great return and no Twickenham Finals in that time either. Of course he is doing a great Arsene Wenger impersonation and bringing us top 4 and Euro rugby each season, but we've not managed a home SF in that time (aside from Racing...).

Is he doing a great job with what he has available, or could someone else take it to the next level?
Finishing 4th in the Premiership is hardly doing a "great" job. Mauger was brought in because Cockers wasn't up to it. He has to be in the last chance saloon. Hopefully he will be served quicker than at Welford Road.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

SIBARITE wrote:
MrPartridge wrote:Aside from the hilarious Michael Cheika post... just wondering how people think about our DOR going into this year? 3 years without silverware isn't a great return and no Twickenham Finals in that time either. Of course he is doing a great Arsene Wenger impersonation and bringing us top 4 and Euro rugby each season, but we've not managed a home SF in that time (aside from Racing...).

Finishing 4th in the Premiership is hardly doing a "great" job. Mauger was brought in because Cockers wasn't up to it. He has to be in the last chance saloon. Hopefully he will be served quicker than at Welford Road.
Mauger was brought in because Paul Burke wasn't good enough for the Head Coach job.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The decision is for those in the know on the Board. I think Cockers will walk before pushed, however I suspect that he and AM will have two seasons.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

jgriffin wrote:The decision is for those in the know on the Board. I think Cockers will walk before pushed, however I suspect that he and AM will have two seasons.
From now? Surely not.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:

Mauger was brought in because Paul Burke wasn't good enough for the Head Coach job.

I thought that the buck stopped with the DOR. If we have another mediocre season (By Tigers standards) will Mauger be released and Cockers still be at the helm?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

SIBARITE wrote: Mauger was brought in because Paul Burke wasn't good enough for the Head Coach job.
I thought that the buck stopped with the DOR. If we have another mediocre season (By Tigers standards) will Mauger be released and Cockers still be at the helm?[/quote]

It does, and if we have a poor season RC will be the first to get the blame.

But Mauger was brought in to replace Paul Burke who took over head coach after MOC was left.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
SIBARITE wrote: Mauger was brought in because Paul Burke wasn't good enough for the Head Coach job.
I thought that the buck stopped with the DOR. If we have another mediocre season (By Tigers standards) will Mauger be released and Cockers still be at the helm?
It does, and if we have a poor season RC will be the first to get the blame.

But Mauger was brought in to replace Paul Burke who took over head coach after MOC was left.[/quote]

Are you right that he was left? Alternatively, Where was he left? We all know that Cockers tried to fill every post that season. I'm sure he served me a pie.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Some are very unforgiving but then Cockers has appeared very unforgiving himself in the past so is it fair game!
My own personal feelings are that Cockers or Mauger or both together threw away a great opportunity to reach the European Cup Final last season.
I couldn't agree more with both comments.

The Racing SF was there for the taking, but then again so was the 2014 AP SF away to Saints at HT...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I await the first third of the season to see how the new style pans out before even venturing a judgement. I have reservations - e.g. about heavy artillery - but even with my MOC vendetta I waited to see how it worked out on the pitch.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Cockers may be promoted backstage, but I doubt he will ever leave Welford Road at all. Aaron probably has another couple of seasons to bed in his plans and new players. Thankfully the club is run on a more professional basis than some of the knee jerk comments on here.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.