Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Is this year pivotal for Cockers?

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Roly wrote:
ourla wrote:
I think McCall is the only man sitting comfortably right now.
Not true, if he doesn't deliver the 'Double Double', the knives will be out

On the other hand, he's delivered 3 years in a row now, its all about expectation.

Innit.
What goes up... must come down at some stage.

We've all experienced it... Bath, Wasps, Glaws, Us to some extent.

I await the load raucous expletives from their fan and his dog when it does!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Darganj, you say Cockerill will be gone if we don't make the top 4. Not necessarily. If we get to the Euro final or win it, then he wouldn't be sacked.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think you have to put in perspective that our "lean years" are a far cry from every other club. Last year was an improvement on the last and I am comfortably that the squad has been improved again. So logic dictates with a fair wind we should exceed on last years efforts. Now of course, this is sport. And logic doesn't always come into it but it does most of the time. So for me all this talk of pivotal years is tattle. We've a lot to be positive about and look forward to. Even the pitch has been sorted! There is of course, no hope for the bar service.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ourla wrote:I think you have to put in perspective that our "lean years" are a far cry from every other club. Last year was an improvement on the last and I am comfortably that the squad has been improved again. So logic dictates with a fair wind we should exceed on last years efforts. Now of course, this is sport. And logic doesn't always come into it but it does most of the time. So for me all this talk of pivotal years is tattle. We've a lot to be positive about and look forward to. Even the pitch has been sorted! There is of course, no hope for the bar service.
Can't disagree with any of this - including the bar service - and think that the Cockers/Mauger partnership must get 2 clear seasons before any sensible judgment can be made.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

I bet he thought his time was up at half-time at Glos!!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

cpwhelan wrote:I bet he thought his time was up at half-time at Glos!!
For 'pivotal' substitute 'heart-attack threatening'. I know EXACTLY what he said in the post match talk.
"Don't ever, ever, (bleep)ing do that again, my (bleep)ing heart won't stand it."
Bleep.
Bleep.
BLEEP.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Was that a pivotal game for Cockers... and on...
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

After one particularly abject performance last season; (I think we came out with a win in spite of it.) Cockers himself said:
'We don't tell them to play like that.'
The guy looked exasperated and therein lies the problem.

Why, when the players get out there, do they forget to man the overlap, create a dogleg in defence (Manu), throw a speculative basketball pass straight in to the hands of the oppo, then later on decide that they have to throw the kitchen sink at them to get the win?

Are we playing high-risk rugby or stuff-it-up-your-jumper rugby?
Certainly the latter won it for us last night. But it was a fine dry evening, wouldn't you have said it was perfect conditions for the former?
I know we found a way to win; (We were jumping round the living room!), but can we remember that it's an 80 minute performance, not a final quarter performance?
My blood pressure can't take it and I'm sure Cockers' can't for much longer.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I, like most Tigers fans, was desperate at half time for some control. But remember, we don't have a divine right to win. Gloucester were really good in that first half, picking us off when we made the mistakes. However, once we had realised that our defensive line was had holes in it, we changed to less expansive, more controlled rugby. It was Gloucester who we making the errors, including the stupidity of not taking that penalty- I am sure that there would be questions asked about that, Mr Humphreys for not sending the tee on?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Bowden Tiger wrote:It was Gloucester who we making the errors, including the stupidity of not taking that penalty- I am sure that there would be questions asked about that, Mr Humphreys for not sending the tee on?
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/hu ... story.html

"That is the question everybody is asking. I don't have much of an issue in going for the corner as I do in that we lost the line-out," Humphreys continued.

"As a goal-kicker, you know yourself whether you can kick the goal. So, I have no issue with that decision with two internationals on the field who decided it was out of range.

Decision not a problem then, just the inability to execute the intended line out move, although I thought we disrupted it more then they 'lost' it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Whitecap, I understand, but most coaches take the decision away from the players and send the tee on. Once on, the decision is made.
spongebillybob1
Tiger Cub

Post by spongebillybob1 »

Personally I think he shouldn't be judged to quickly, (post Christmas) see where we are and how we are playing, with width, good strong forward pack and if handling is good.

Realistically I would like a home Europe quarter, semi premiership at home and then final. I think we need to make at least one final this year and prem is probably our best hope. And win the lv cup, with the youngsters we have coming up and some of the 2nd third choice first team I don't think that is unrealistic.

I think if we do all that then I think it has been a good enough season for cockers to stay but would expect title next year.

Obviously I would prefer to win it this year, and I think we have a good shot if we can get our defence sorted.

in the second half it was 1-4 try wise if we can keep something similar to that then great.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The question for me is not whether Cockers will go, but will Hansen?
The forward stuff and guts is very much Cockers and Blaze, and yesterday showed that it is the 'go-to' plan to win games.
Champagne rugby is Mauger's corner, and Hansen is half-backs and defence. We have to stop playing champagne rugby before the basic domination is established and restrict it to opportune turnover ball etc.
Half-backs is easy as we have three of the best 9s in the AP, and 3 good 10s (one at least near international class).
Defence is an issue. We have the disrupters to slow oppo ball and effect turnovers regardless of the system; the question is, do we revert to the very successful but limited catenaccio of two seasons ago (courtesy the Gambler)or the more dynamic but very patchy system that was very iffy last year, and seems the same this season so far.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.