Is this year pivotal for Cockers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SIBARITE

Re: Is this year pivotal for Cockers?

Post by SIBARITE »

tigerburnie wrote:Cockers may be promoted backstage, but I doubt he will ever leave Welford Road at all. Aaron probably has another couple of seasons to bed in his plans and new players. Thankfully the club is run on a more professional basis than some of the knee jerk comments on here.
Three years is hardly Knee jerk. Professional rugby is about results. Ask the sponsors if they want to be associated with success or failure.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

SIBARITE wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Cockers may be promoted backstage, but I doubt he will ever leave Welford Road at all. Aaron probably has another couple of seasons to bed in his plans and new players. Thankfully the club is run on a more professional basis than some of the knee jerk comments on here.
Three years is hardly Knee jerk. Professional rugby is about results. Ask the sponsors if they want to be associated with success or failure.
Judging by the amount of sponsors we have announced it seems to me they are okay ATM.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It seems strange that the same people who have credited Mauger for the recent good signings and change in style of play are the same ones who will be blaming Cockerill if we are not successful. Surely if you are so convinced it's down to Mauger then he should be the to take the blame if it all goes wrong?
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

RagingBull wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
Judging by the amount of sponsors we have announced it seems to me they are okay ATM.
Its not about ATM. Its about the future. Lots of small sponsors chipping in for publicity does not equal a major sponsors endorsement. There is a difference.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Failure would be not qualifying for the European Cup or being relegated. Tigers are steeped in history and a recognised team around the world. Playing top flight rugby and being recognisable to the public is something that sponsors are happy to be associated with.
Realistically there are only two competitions (Euro and Premiership) up for grabs. The competition in these competitions is very strong and it would be a great achievement if Tigers were to succeed.
Priorities in my opinion are to Qualify for Euro, top four, Euro 1/4, Premiership final, Euro Semi, Euro Wiiners......anything less than Qualification for European Cup could be pivotal for Cockers!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Tigerbeat wrote:Failure would be not qualifying for the European Cup or being relegated. Tigers are steeped in history and a recognised team around the world. Playing top flight rugby and being recognisable to the public is something that sponsors are happy to be associated with.
Realistically there are only two competitions (Euro and Premiership) up for grabs. The competition in these competitions is very strong and it would be a great achievement if Tigers were to succeed.
Priorities in my opinion are to Qualify for Euro, top four, Euro 1/4, Premiership final, Euro Semi, Euro Wiiners......anything less than Qualification for European Cup could be pivotal for Cockers!
And the volunteers to be the pivot are? :smt040
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

SIBARITE wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:Failure would be not qualifying for the European Cup or being relegated. Tigers are steeped in history and a recognised team around the world. Playing top flight rugby and being recognisable to the public is something that sponsors are happy to be associated with.
You? It your choice of word in the first place :smt001
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
The clue is in the title of the thread which I did not introduce and your making a nomination which was not the question.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Can't wait till the 7th September, To get if nothing else threads about how the last match has gone & who to play in the next game.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

SIBARITE wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:And the volunteers to be the pivot are? :smt040
The clue is in the title of the thread which I did not introduce and your making a nomination which was not the question.
Apologies. When I first looked at this topic, your name was against it on the index page. Got the columns mixed up as you had been the last poster, not the OP. My post was (wrongly) based on you being the OP. :smt009 Hope that makes sense.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Every season gets harder for Tigers and Cockers to succeed, they have the burden of balancing the books and generating income to develop the ground. This is the reality of the situation. I assume the board will be taking a long term view, while some clubs are running huge deficits or being bankrolled by individuals or creative accounting we are building a sustainable model that will last and is not dependent on the whims of any individual. That being so I am sure that the board will not give Cockers unreasonable targets or ultimatums, he though may tire of the unreasonable expectations of some fans.

We have never won the European challenge cup, is this a failure to win silverware or a success in always qualifying for the main tournament?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tigerbeat wrote:Failure would be not qualifying for the European Cup or being relegated.
That's weapon grade Bullonium.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Is this year pivotal for Baxter. If the Chiefs fail to win the PREM or ERC will he have taken them as far as he can?

Is this year pivotal for Dai Young. Wasps now have the team, the ground and the infrastructure in place. Success is a must surely?

Is this year pivotal for Mallinder. The fans are restless and unhappy about the way the team are set up and playing as much as the results.

Is this year pivotal for Blackadder. He's a bit of a risky appointment and there needs to be a quick turnaround in results to satisfy an ambitious owner.

Is this year pivotal for Humphries. Gloucester have to start making some progress.

Etc, etc.

I think McCall is the only man sitting comfortably right now.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote:
Not true, if he doesn't deliver the 'Double Double', the knives will be out

On the other hand, he's delivered 3 years in a row now, its all about expectation.

Innit.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

ourla wrote:Is this year pivotal for Baxter. If the Chiefs fail to win the PREM or ERC will he have taken them as far as he can?

Is this year pivotal for Dai Young. Wasps now have the team, the ground and the infrastructure in place. Success is a must surely?

Is this year pivotal for Mallinder. The fans are restless and unhappy about the way the team are set up and playing as much as the results.

Is this year pivotal for Blackadder. He's a bit of a risky appointment and there needs to be a quick turnaround in results to satisfy an ambitious owner.

Is this year pivotal for Humphries. Gloucester have to start making some progress.

Etc, etc.

Baxter getting the sack is obvious lunacy, the man has turned water into wine.

Dai Young was paying for the kit 3 years ago and did very well last year with a new team. Has at least another 2 years, Wasps are on the up.

Mallinder is under pressure, I think if Saints come 6th or below he could be on the way out. 5th could still be cause for him to be chopped.

Blackadder has a minimum of 2 years, players are already a lot happier from sounds coming out of camp. Also he has time to mould the squad.

Humphries could be under pressure. But Gloucester havent achieved much for almost a decade now, wasn't it 07 the last final? I think Gloucester will do better this year, signing Matt Scott is massive as they been doing a Leicester and waiting for Trinder (Manu in our case) to get fit when he never is.

Cockers is under pressure and I think if we don't make Prem final this year he could be gone. And I think if he doesn't make top 4, he will be 100% be gone. Europe will be a hell of a tough ask this year with our pool, last year was our lucky year in Europe.