Reduced Opening Hours.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Reduced Opening Hours.

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Having read yesterday's news from Tigers. I see that the turnstiles will now open 1 hour and 30 minutes before kick off, instead of 2 hours before kick off.
Personally, being a terrace STH, I like to get there early, meet friends and have a couple of beers before the game, which of course we can still do in the Final Whistle, the other side of the ground!.
Tigers view it as cost saving, but personally I see it as a retrograde step, reducing the overall match day experience. I remember going to Ospreys on a Sunday, and they opened an hour before kick off. Everything was rushed, with lengthy queues etc.

What next? No Terrace?
Tigerbeat

Re: Reduced Opening Hours.

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bowden Tiger....thought you pushed to the front 15 minutes before kick off. :smt003
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Well as you say, you can use the Final Whistle bar instead so your match day experience won't be ruined.
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

I feel that this is a real retrograde step & another example of the Club disregarding their supporter's views.
We don't travel very far to the matches, but I feel for those that come from afar. We love to meet up with friends, have a drink & something to eat & then watch the last 20-30 minutes of warm up. This would reduce the opportunity for people to visit the shop. Everything will be so rushed & hardly time to put the world to rights.
Can't believe Tigers want to reduce opportunities for supporters to spend their money
I feel that this is a really poor decision :smt009
Pip
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Even though you can use the bar and shop that are outside the ground?

I think that an hour and thirty minutes is plenty of time before a match but as I said, if you use the Final Whistle bar then you can still come two hours before.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Crumbie addicts will still queue up hours before opening time. Personally I feel the club has missed a trick in not offering enhanced STs on the Terrace whereby 'your spot' has a 2m square box placed on it to reserve it and improve what family life some may have outside WR. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Let me first quell the rumour jgriffin, that I need a 2m square, 1.75 is plenty!

Joking aside, one of many reasons why I love rugby is that we all count, players, coaches, fans and even referees. We are very quickly losing all that, mainly due to the pursuit of money. Yes, it is a business, but instead of the accountants helping to run it successfully, they are now dictating the major decisions. If nobody entered the ground 2 hours before kick off, I would understand it. But that is not the case at all, far from it.
Last edited by Bowden Tiger on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Let me first quell the rumour Tigerbeat, that I need a 2m square, 1.75 is plenty!

Joking aside, one of many reasons why I love rugby is that we all count, players, coaches, fans and even referees. We are very quickly losing all that, mainly due to the pursuit of money. Yes, it is a business, but instead of the accountants helping to run it successfully, they are now dictating the major decisions. If nobody entered the ground 2 hours before kick off, I would understand it. But that is not the case at all, far from it.
Is this not just a re-hash of the evening with Cockers charges and the squeezing of the pips? A moderator has instantly tried to devalue the argument and then the old boys/girls club have defended their own patch. Can anyone actually give the information factually how much it costs the club to put on an evening with Cockers or how much is saved by opening half an hour later on match day? The floor is yours Mr Cohen.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

I would guess at 100 stewards all on minimum wage.. Currently £7.20 per hour, with the plan of being £9.50 per hour by 2019..

Think about it , minimum wage was 6.31 in 2014, so something has to give, they cant reduce the number of stewards, so the only other way is to reduce the hours, opening half an later will save the wage bill, but the lost revenue in the same period will be neglible , Whether you like it or not, it is a business
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Sibarite, it is not a rehash at all. This is about the club reducing the time that people spend inside the ground before a match. The reasons for that decision could be many, and it is only suggested that it could be financial. Dunks43 could be correct in his evaluation, but it could be that the club want to keep stewards on later following matches, or even that they are having difficulty getting stewards early in the day.
The difference with the 'Evening with Cockers' is that in that case it is an 'extra', not part of the ST.
I really don't believe that the Moderator devalued the argument at all, as there was NO argument!
SIBARITE

Post by SIBARITE »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Sibarite, it is not a rehash at all. This is about the club reducing the time that people spend inside the ground before a match. The reasons for that decision could be many, and it is only suggested that it could be financial. Dunks43 could be correct in his evaluation, but it could be that the club want to keep stewards on later following matches, or even that they are having difficulty getting stewards early in the day.
The difference with the 'Evening with Cockers' is that in that case it is an 'extra', not part of the ST.
I really don't believe that the Moderator devalued the argument at all, as there was NO argument!

I stand corrected. I have looked again at your opening post. Its not an argument about getting less than you thought when your season ticket was purchased. Its just a moan. Making changes after most people have bought their season tickets seems to me to be disingenuous.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

If you aren't happy with what Tigers have done and believe they are not delivering on the price you have paid for your season ticket, then perhaps you should call the ticket office and cancel your ticket and get a refund.

All of this moaning for the sake of 30 minutes! Ridiculous really!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ellis9 wrote:If you aren't happy with what Tigers have done and believe they are not delivering on the price you have paid for your season ticket, then perhaps you should call the ticket office and cancel your ticket and get a refund.

All of this moaning for the sake of 30 minutes! Ridiculous really!
The amount of moaning, you'd think the 30 minutes had come off the game time. Perhaps they should really be complaining about the length of time it now takes to complete a scrum.
Last edited by h's dad on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

SIBARITE wrote:
Bowden Tiger wrote:Let me first quell the rumour Tigerbeat, that I need a 2m square, 1.75 is plenty!

Is this not just a re-hash of the evening with Cockers charges and the squeezing of the pips? A moderator has instantly tried to devalue the argument and then the old boys/girls club have defended their own patch. Can anyone actually give the information factually how much it costs the club to put on an evening with Cockers or how much is saved by opening half an hour later on match day? The floor is yours Mr Cohen.
I really don't think I qualify as a member of the OB/GC, You've asked a specific question of a specific individual but do you really think you've asked it in the right place? I know Bowden Tiger has had a stab at answering your question but I'm not sure that he has the qualifications that you've specified and I don't think that you're going to get much better on this forum.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Bowden Tiger wrote: I remember going to Ospreys on a Sunday, and they opened an hour before kick off. Everything was rushed, with lengthy queues etc.
Well, that was Ospreys. I arrive about an hour before kick off and rarely experience queues of any length in the ABC bars. The club has stolen half an hour of "your" time - wow.

Quite a lot of people (not just on here) need to relax a bit more, think a bit less of their own "rights" and a bit more about others' needs in this case the club's and perhaps stewards'who might like a shorter working day and not have to be there to supervise the 14 people who appear to sleep outside the night before.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina