:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Nottingham Tigers

Post by maire88 »

It's just a shame they couldn't be as supportive of the rugby club in their own city......
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Maire88 Nottingham has always been a football city. Nottingham rugby clubs fans come from the rural parts of Nottinghamshire. Leicester might have gone the same way except for two reasons .
1) We were formed before the foxes.
2) Our rural catchment area is so much larger than Nottinghams. We have season ticket holders in all of the East Midland counties and East Anglia.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Might I suggest, a Christmas pantomime be held in The Robin Hood Stand and possibly featuring Simon Cohen as the Sheriff of Nottingham, sapajo as Guy of Gisbourne, Aaron Mauger as Will Scarlett, obviously Cockers as Robin Hood, Harry Thacker as Maid Marian, ellis9 as Mortianna and Roly as Friar Tuck.
Auditions to be held at the training ground for the part of Little John.
An entertaining evening sensibly priced to make a small profit.
Cheery chappy
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I didn't know who Mortianna was so had to google it. I see that she is a female and also a witch.

Do you not play parts as opposites in pantomimes? In which case that makes me a fantastic male real life! Sounds about right.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Boy Dave wrote:Might I suggest, a Christmas pantomime be held in The Robin Hood Stand and possibly featuring Simon Cohen as the Sheriff of Nottingham, sapajo as Guy of Gisbourne, Aaron Mauger as Will Scarlett, obviously Cockers as Robin Hood, Harry Thacker as Maid Marian, ellis9 as Mortianna and Roly as Friar Tuck.
I can't afford it :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

ellis9 wrote:I didn't know who Mortianna was so had to google it. I see that she is a female and also a witch.

Do you not play parts as opposites in pantomimes? In which case that makes me a fantastic male real life! Sounds about right.
She is female, does she play 7's rugby!
I could be your stand if you wish, being a proper rugby bloke I thought you might like wearing a dress for the evening! :smt023
Cheery chappy
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

sapajo wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:Might I suggest, a Christmas pantomime be held in The Robin Hood Stand and possibly featuring Simon Cohen as the Sheriff of Nottingham, sapajo as Guy of Gisbourne, Aaron Mauger as Will Scarlett, obviously Cockers as Robin Hood, Harry Thacker as Maid Marian, ellis9 as Mortianna and Roly as Friar Tuck.
You could always improvise, switch sides and steal the Sheriff's money and give it to the poor or make your own side and just keep it! :smt023
Cheery chappy
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Boy Dave wrote:
sapajo wrote:
You could always improvise, switch sides and steal the Sheriff's money and give it to the poor or make your own side and just keep it! :smt023
Sounds like an excellent plan :smt001
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

Noddy555 wrote:Maire88 Nottingham has always been a football city. Nottingham rugby clubs fans come from the rural parts of Nottinghamshire. Leicester might have gone the same way except for two reasons .
1) We were formed before the foxes.
2) Our rural catchment area is so much larger than Nottinghams. We have season ticket holders in all of the East Midland counties and East Anglia.
Before I moved back to Newcastle, I lived in rural Leics and I was at one point a season ticket holder for Nottingham, and I was a player sponsor there up till the end of last season. I went to Nottingham University and while I did have a season ticket for Tigers for one season, I will admit I stopped coming to Welford Road at the end of that season for various reasons (mostly cost- my season ticket at Nottingham cost £88 compared with almost £400 at Tigers, even after factoring in travel it was still so much cheaper)
I don't disagree with what you're saying about Nottingham being a football city Noddy- that is very true. Same as Newcastle- its a football city which is why despite the best efforts of the Falcons, who play five minutes from my house, the attendances at Kingston Park still aren't great.
However, I would disagree respectfully with the statement that all Nottingham Rugby Club's fans come from rural Notts. Not true. I know a lot of people who go to watch Nottingham and they are from a vast cross section of Notts with a good few coming from in and around central West Bridgford (I wouldn't call that rural!) and surrounding areas, as well as students from NTU and Notts Unis and many coming from urban suburbs of Nottingham.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

As an ex-Nottingham fan from the days in Beeston, agree that the fan base even then was from all over, and some made the transition to Bridgford (nearly wrote 'Lady Bay' but that might have seemed a bit odd :smt004 ). I was hoping that the close relationship between the two teams that seemed to exist in the Delaney days could return.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Maire88 I was talking historically about Nottingham Rugby club's fan base, of course in modern times possibly since the second world war there fan base has spread as disposable income and transport links have improved, but originally it was rural Nottinghamshire that came to watch them, I know because I had a great uncle who was a Nottinghamshire farmer and he and his mates supported them. Whereas in Leicestershire and surrounding counties of Lincolnshire ,Cambridgeshire etc because of the education system, ie more public schools, the main sport was Rugby not Soccer.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Apparently it's an app.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"