Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Jones names provisional elite player squad

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

DickyP wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:It does make me wonder, given that Tom Youngs spent most of last season out with a serious back injury how much work did he do on the aspects of his game that saw him left out last year...
According to EJ it wasn't his skills but his aggression and application - not exactly things you can practise in rehab!
saying Tom Youngs needs to be more aggressive is like saying Daniel Lambert could do with putting on some weight.
It, to me, smacks of a Tom being used to make a statement up on Jones appointment, a speedy recall having been mostly injured, I feel backs me up in that view, if Jones told Tom he'd be back after a year out but just keep quiet then fair enough but it does seem very bizarre
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
DickyP wrote:
Jimmy Skitz wrote:It does make me wonder, given that Tom Youngs spent most of last season out with a serious back injury how much work did he do on the aspects of his game that saw him left out last year...
According to EJ it wasn't his skills but his aggression and application - not exactly things you can practise in rehab!
saying Tom Youngs needs to be more aggressive is like saying Daniel Lambert could do with putting on some weight.
It, to me, smacks of a Tom being used to make a statement up on Jones appointment, a speedy recall having been mostly injured, I feel backs me up in that view, if Jones told Tom he'd be back after a year out but just keep quiet then fair enough but it does seem very bizarre
Unless EJ realised that LCD isn't up to it......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
DickyP wrote:
IMO Eddie Jones is a very clever man with a plan!
Tom Youngs is a fine player and a leader of men with potentially much more to come, as are many others.
This is sports psychology at it's very best!
Cheery chappy
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Maybe it's as simple as the EPS being increased from 32 to 45. Youngs gets in as fourth hooker, and that may have been where Jones saw him last season when the EPS only contained three hookers.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

4071 wrote:
Maybe it's as simple as the EPS being increased from 32 to 45. Youngs gets in as fourth hooker, and that may have been where Jones saw him last season when the EPS only contained three hookers.
In that case I would've expected Tommy Taylor to be included.
This is about competition for places and ramping up the pressure to increase performance.
OTY may not be the future and even may not play but just his presence could make all the difference to the position.
Cheery chappy