An evening with Cockers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wyresm

An evening with Cockers

Post by wyresm »

Hi all,

First post in the forums, saw an evening with cockers advertised on the website. Have these been done before? Seems a great idea. Anyone know how the evenings work?
SIBARITE

Re: an evening with cockers

Post by SIBARITE »

wyresm wrote:Hi all,

First post in the forums, saw an evening with cockers advertised on the website. Have these been done before? Seems a great idea. Anyone know how the evenings work?
I think Cockers speaks and we all scratch our heads when subsequently his actions bear no resemblance to those words.
wyresm

Post by wyresm »

I've only been following rugby for the past few years (drifted away from football). What is the general opinion of cockers among fans?
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

wyresm wrote:I've only been following rugby for the past few years (drifted away from football). What is the general opinion of cockers among fans?
way to split the voters.

3 distint camps on here

1 - he can do no wrong
2 - he should be sacked post haste
3 - the rest of us who think he does the best with what he's got and realise he is not going to admit the truth about all things so as to put the opposition off the scent of his intentions.
wyresm

Post by wyresm »

He seems to do well as the front of the club. Comes across as very much 'take it or leave it'. Almost the 'no one likes us, we don't care' front. I like the way in the bt sport XV documentary he accepts that he now needs additional staff around him to evolve the club.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think he would be great to spend the evening with.

I think he's matured in his time in the job. It's a tricky question as to whether he's had a hard time in recent years because of things beyond his control or whether the team has a hard time because of him. Rugby fans are getting a little fickle these days.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I've attended one of these previously and found for me that they were a waste of time. Nothing that I didn't already know was revealed and I thought at times Richard who I've known for over 20 years struggled to find things to say. It would be a better idea to have all the coaches present and the lady who runs the Tigers injury clinic, she spoke at a meeting a couple of years ago and darn me not only did she know her subject but turned out to be a polished performer when it came to speaking publicly.
wyresm

Re: An evening with Cockers

Post by wyresm »

I don't think there is much the manager can say really. Anything that he does say would already be in the papers anyway.

There wont be any secrets given out as this would impact on club preparation etc.

Agree would be better off having different members of the team giving opinions on topics such as training, resting, rehab, mentality, match day prep/experience
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Noddy555 wrote:I've attended one of these previously and found for me that they were a waste of time. Nothing that I didn't already know was revealed and I thought at times Richard who I've known for over 20 years struggled to find things to say. It would be a better idea to have all the coaches present and the lady who runs the Tigers injury clinic, she spoke at a meeting a couple of years ago and darn me not only did she know her subject but turned out to be a polished performer when it came to speaking publicly.
Indeed, so have I but I found them very interesting even though the lady you refer to has now left Tigers to set up her own sports injury clinic. The big difference now is that this was previously a free supporters evening, but now you are being charged £10 for the same privilege which sums up Tigers relentless desire to milking us its cash cows dry.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

sapajo wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:I've attended one of these previously and found for me that they were a waste of time. Nothing that I didn't already know was revealed and I thought at times Richard who I've known for over 20 years struggled to find things to say. It would be a better idea to have all the coaches present and the lady who runs the Tigers injury clinic, she spoke at a meeting a couple of years ago and darn me not only did she know her subject but turned out to be a polished performer when it came to speaking publicly.
Indeed, so have I but I found them very interesting even though the lady you refer to has now left Tigers to set up her own sports injury clinic. The big difference now is that this was previously a free supporters evening, but now you are being charged £10 for the same privilege which sums up Tigers relentless desire to milking us its cash cows dry.
How much, if any, do you think is an appropriate amount to charge? Perhaps you should make sure you make plenty of use of the complimentary tea and coffee? Maybe take a flask along and fill it up?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

h's dad wrote:
sapajo wrote:
How much, if any, do you think is an appropriate amount to charge? Perhaps you should make sure you make plenty of use of the complimentary tea and coffee? Maybe take a flask along and fill it up?
Well as you asked I think supporters should continue not to be charged to attend and as you wrongly assumed there were no complimentary drinks.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Who'd have thought it. A business charging people to visit their facilities! No one else does it...... Oh, hang on a minute.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I would have thought a free PR Evening like this would be a sensible way to engage season ticket holders who have already invested quite a bit of money . Costs to the Club are minimal in the scheme of things .
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

MikeR wrote:I would have thought a free PR Evening like this would be a sensible way to engage season ticket holders who have already invested quite a bit of money . Costs to the Club are minimal in the scheme of things .
Totally agree, let season ticket holders hear from the Playing Management and "whilst you are here be given a guided tour of the new West stand and facilities" and who knows they may offer upgrades at advantageous prices and then the Q&A followed by refreshments :smt016 all promotional, interactive and FREE! :smt023
I bet Gary Sherrard does not read this one.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is a well known fact that you cannot please everyone. The free open forum evenings with Cocker and others were enjoyed by most who attended. unfortunately the first was spoilt by a gentleman who asked a series of related questions but couldn't be bothered to listen to the answers of any of them. Another, following frank and open comments by Cocker and Simon Cohen they were let down by some one failing to treat the matters discussed as confidential despite the request to do so.
In the past the club held a series of low cost evenings attended by various guest speakers, players and officials of the club. These events are not free to put on they do involve work by employees of the club.
Recently I have been concerned that some of these events have been tied into money making meals etc' and the costs of £60 to £100 have been too high for many fans.
I feel that the club should be applauded for putting on an Evening with Cocker and Mauger, it should be very interesting and within the budget of most fans. I hope it is successful and is the first of many such evenings.