New Agreement between English National game and the Aviva

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: New pitch for Ospreys game

Post by Noddy555 »

Digressing from this to start a new thread, I've just read the new agreement between English Rugby and the Premier League clubs and I'm astonished. You know me I'm a severe critic of the stuffed shirts who seem to be based at Twickenham and who run English Rugby on our behalf, but for once they've shown an outstanding foresight by drafting this agreement and rewarding Premiership clubs for the contribution they make to the English game, I can only believe that there must have been a change of personnel at the top of the game and I must laud them for their action.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

New Agreement between English National game and the Aviva

Post by Noddy555 »

English National Game and Aviva Premiership Clubs agreement
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New pitch for Ospreys game

Post by Sajerj »

It was a very good day for English rugby, both club and country, when Iain Ritchie was appointed. An excellent CEO.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: NewAgreement between the English National game and theAv

Post by Noddy555 »

Echoing what I said previously I'm astonished at the foresight shown on this agreement which will last for 8 years until July 2024. It finally rewards clubs for their training and academic schemes which can only be good for the English game.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: New Agreement between English National game and the Aviv

Post by trendylfj »

On the surface it seems a very good deal but I have concerns with the 8 year time frame. We have seen the money and the costs rise at a very fast rate over the last 3 or 4 years and whilst 2m a year next year is a lot, what will it be worth in 8 years time? Yes I know that there is a clause enabling either side to look at it again in 4 years and I hope the clubs do.
It also looks like the clubs will be missing their international players at the start of every season with the 5 week lay off clause in the summer depending on what the lay off means? No playing or no training or both?
Hehehehehehehehe
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

So how many weeks of the season could a elite player be unavailable for club duties?
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

To me this basically means your top players will be out for a good chunk of the season.

You need your top players ready and fresh at the start of the season which is not possible now and will not be to a greater extent now.

Essentially we are moving to central contracts
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Another aspect of the new deal is that the "Exceptional Circumstances" for selecting a player not playing for an English club are more explicitly defined. It will now only be invoked in an "injury crisis". This means players like Underhill currently playing for Ospreys would need to sign for an English club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... club-deal/
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

A minor concern here is that the RFU have signed this without really knowing what the international schedule is after 2018.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I too have concerns that as a leading club our star players will be absent more under the new agreement than before, however it just means that club personnel selection policy should remain focussed on acquiring talent that will be available to substitute for these players which may mean in the short term more Southern Hemisphere players, but we should also take this opportunity to blood younger players from our own academy, particularly in competitions such as the Anglo/Welsh cup. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought that that was of the founding principles of that competition.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Having now downloaded and read the agreement in full, I'm not so impressed as I was previously, although welcoming the existence of the agreement, when you read the small print it turns out not to be as generous as first thought especially in compensation and absence terms.
I still can't understand why there needs to be an additional training camp space within the normal Aviva season.