Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: New pitch for Ospreys game

Post by strawclearer »

markharbtiger wrote:
Bowden Tiger wrote:Our pitch looks very brown on the WebCam this morning, I wonder how long the grass will take to come through, 5 weeks is not a long time!
The technology of this combination surface has come on a long way since they installed the one at Oval Park, a few years ago now!
Good news. As someone who makes the occasional visit to Franklin's Gardens for the local derby, their pitch always seems in much better condition than ours.

But it does look very brown on the webcam at the moment, which I assume is OK? Not sure the current hot weather is ideal for this task, but I encourage someone who knows better to correct me!
I've also been watching the webcam - an occasional glance rather than a fixed, demonic stare (I'm not a wendyball fan) - but I was waiting for them to start laying the 'turf' rather than watching for the green shoots of recovery! :smt037

Mind you - what I really want to know is...will there be straw???
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

As far as I can tell the only action taken on Friday was to remove the turf. I presume that the new hybrid pitch requires either the installation of the mesh and the sowing of the grass seed or bringing in pre-grown carpets of hybrid turf and simply laying it down. I doubt that any grass seed has been sown as yet.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

So any groundsmen out there able to explain the difference between county turf and a desso pitch?

I can see the price and that the fibres don't appear as long?

What will this mean for performance or length of life?

I applaud the club for getting the grass onboard to help make the dufference
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

As an ex county 2's cricket groundsman (part time and now retired) I can say that it is the roots which are the most important and hold the turf together and these will grow around the artificial fibres which, I believe are injected 8" into the ground. This leads to a much stronger holding pattern and much less top of the ground movement. I don't know if they are seeding or turfing but turfing is quicker. I suspect that the grass they are using has some perennial ryegrass but is mainly fescues and bents both of which are fast growing varieties at this time of year. County Turf I believe does not have ryegrass and is used more on golf green and luxury lawns.
Hehehehehehehehe
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

At the moment my grass is growing like weeds; cant keep on top of the growth.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Something appears to be happening on the pitch!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I think they have put a topping over the existing turf. You can see the 22m, half way and touch lines grinning through the topping. :smt017
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Noggs wrote:I think they have put a topping over the existing turf. You can see the 22m, half way and touch lines grinning through the topping. :smt017
No, they removed the turf last week and it seems that the lines we can see on the pitch are simply from years of 'groundsmanship'.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I don't KNOW but I suspect the lines are the drainage going in and that when that is completed they will lay turf and not seed - just a guess
Hehehehehehehehe
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

trendylfj wrote:I don't KNOW but I suspect the lines are the drainage going in and that when that is completed they will lay turf and not seed - just a guess
I think that you are right - probably!

How Simon Cohen has resisted Tweeting as they started digging up the pitch, I don't know! The gradual build up has been ideally suited to his teezing Tweets. Maybe he is on holiday? Then again, maybe he was waiting for something extreme to happen - like digging trenches for drainage :smt017
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote:
trendylfj wrote:I don't KNOW but I suspect the lines are the drainage going in and that when that is completed they will lay turf and not seed - just a guess
I think that you are right - probably!

How Simon Cohen has resisted Tweeting as they started digging up the pitch, I don't know! The gradual build up has been ideally suited to his teezing Tweets. Maybe he is on holiday? Then again, maybe he was waiting for something extreme to happen - like digging trenches for drainage :smt017
Cohen tweeted this on June 25th with a picture of the bare earth pitch.

"Don't know what you mean, Cockers. It looks playable to me!"
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Could well have been ingrained line marks but definitely not new drainage lines as the half-way line, both 22's and the near touch line were clearly visible.

There isn't time to grow new grass so it looks like they are going to use the turf system which it is claimed can be played on 3 days after installation. :smt023
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

The were putting in blue pipes along the length of the pitch and about 5 metres apart. They are probably for drainage, but could even be some sort of frost protection system (unlikely). These have now all been covered over in preparation for the next phase.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Ads677 wrote:The were putting in blue pipes along the length of the pitch and about 5 metres apart. They are probably for drainage, but could even be some sort of frost protection system (unlikely). These have now all been covered over in preparation for the next phase.
Oh - I heard they were strengthening rods like you have in concrete so the ground can cope with Fluffy's sprints! :smt047
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Ads677 wrote:The were putting in blue pipes along the length of the pitch and about 5 metres apart. They are probably for drainage, but could even be some sort of frost protection system (unlikely). These have now all been covered over in preparation for the next phase.
Either new drainage or Severn Trent were taking a short cut.

New turf next week :smt026