New pitch for Ospreys game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

New pitch for Ospreys game

Post by ellis9 »

Richard Cockerill confirmed last night on Radio Leicester that we are looking at different companies for a desso style pitch to be laid and it will hopefully be laid and ready to use for the friendly against Ospreys.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New pitch for Ospreys game

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Brilliant news :smt023
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

I thought such pitches were a long lead item as they were in demand. Would have also thought beginning of the close season would have been the right time to lay it. Be good if it happens.
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

Snorbins wrote:I thought such pitches were a long lead item as they were in demand. Would have also thought beginning of the close season would have been the right time to lay it. Be good if it happens.
Cockers seemed pretty definite about it, and he is not known for saying something before it is set in stone. Whether it is coincidence that the cam pointed at the pitch is no longer online, only the club can tell, but they may well have started on the enhancement to the pitch already, the Ospreys game is only five weeks away.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

the webcam is online and pointing at a very nice green pitch..

check under fanzone, interactivity, webcams
Less is more....
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

Bunchy wrote:the webcam is online and pointing at a very nice green pitch..

check under fanzone, interactivity, webcams
So they moved the webcam to a different location on the website, and the view seems to be wider!

Perhaps we can expect to see the installation of the new pitch as it happens, or, perhaps, it has already happened :smt017
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Really!?

Seems odd to be doing this so late in the off season.

Didn't think the finances/logistics were in place.

Great if it happens and I guess we'll soon see...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Maybe the club got a new sponsor for this?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Isnt the desso-style achieved by 'weaving' a nylon thread into the soil - a bit like aerating the lawn? The new strength is gained as grass roots entwine with the thread. No real damage done so time scales until useable again are short?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Cockers referred to it as a hybrid and he was definite about it being installed and ready to use for Ospreys.

Does anyone know how this will compare to Sarries/Falcons pitches and Worcester's new pitch?

Anyway great news IMO.
Soggypitch
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Soggypitch wrote:Cockers referred to it as a hybrid and he was definite about it being installed and ready to use for Ospreys.

Does anyone know how this will compare to Sarries/Falcons pitches and Worcester's new pitch?

Anyway great news IMO.
Desso is a hybrid pitch sarries/Falcons/Wuss are not.

Hybrid means reinforced grass basically
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

RagingBull wrote:
Soggypitch wrote:Cockers referred to it as a hybrid and he was definite about it being installed and ready to use for Ospreys.

Anyway great news IMO.

Looking at the Desso website http://www.dessosports.com/hybrid-grass/installation I think that they have already installed the Desso pitch, or at least, got to stage three.

Looking at the webcam, I think that we can all agree that the grass has been sown, the only question for me is, was the re-enforcement stage done before, or after, the sowing of the grass? If not, stage four beckons. :smt038
Last edited by DCATsOLDMAN on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hybrid is what Twickenham has and also most Premier League clubs.
These are quality grass pitches.

Worcester, Newcastle and Sarries have awful, horrible plastic pitches.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote:
RagingBull wrote:

Anyway great news IMO.

Looking at the Desso website http://www.dessosports.com/hybrid-grass/installation I think that they have already installed the Desso pitch, or at least, got to stage three.

Looking at the webcam, I think that we can all agree that the grass has been sown, the only question for me is, was the re-enforcement stage done before, or after, the sowing of the grass? If not, stage four beckons. :smt038
If step 1 and 2 have to happen before the seeding, which clearly as happened, the club must have known ages ago that we would be Dessoing. Puzzled.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote:
RagingBull wrote:

Anyway great news IMO.

Having been told that we were getting a Deso pitch for this coming new season I regularly watched the web cam showing the pitch refurb post the final training camp. I must say that if Stage 2 (underground pitch drainage) has been installed I certainly missed it! Anyone actually see or know it's been done?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity