Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Tom Youngs named new club captain

Post by Iain »

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/249 ... 4yQgo7F-So

Congratulations Tom!

Bit out of the blue though. I guess it gives Ed the chance to focus on his fitness, and with the competition we have in the second row he's less likely to be guaranteed a spot, whereas Tom is far more likely to start more often, especially since he seems to be out of the picture with England.

I'm sure he'll make an outstanding club captain.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Tom Youngs named new club captain

Post by ellis9 »

I think it also suggests that Slater won't be starting as many games as he usually would when fully fit which I think probably is correct.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Pretty surprised honestly. I know Ed didn't have a great season, but if I were to pick the team he would be the first choice lock.
Another source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36824336
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Excellent choice always guaranteed to be a starter when fit, he has shown an incisive knowledge of the game whether in attacking or defensive modes, although he will have to perform well as he is following onto another great club captain in ED Slater, who unfortunately cannot be a guaranteed starter next season.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Spicer wrote:Pretty surprised honestly. I know Ed didn't have a great season, but if I were to pick the team he would be the first choice lock.
Another source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36824336
But in a world where he is also competing with Barrow, Kitchener and Fitzgerald, I see the logic in Slater not being captain - he's not a guaranteed starter whereas your captain ought to be as much as possible.

And to nip the follow up to this in the bud, Youngs will be first choice ahead of Thacker. He's just the better option of the two.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Youngs is a regular starter when fit.

Slater hasn't played enough since his knee injury to suggest he is a definite starter. Will he ever regain full fitness, some don't after a knee reconstruction? Also there would seem to be a lot of competition for the second row.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Great news for both Tom and the club, I don't see Ed as not starting as anything to do with it, just now we don't know who will start, sure Ed will be in the mix and assisting with running the team.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Iain wrote:And to nip the follow up to this in the bud, Youngs will be first choice ahead of Thacker. He's just the better option of the two.
Would expect George McGuigan to also have a say in things.

Does 'Club' Captain automatically mean 'Team' Captain on match day?

I've no objection to it being OTY, if nothing else it's good signs that he's recovered from a back injury that surely had some concern for his playing future at one point or another.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Well done Tom.

All this talk about Tom being picked over Ed is rubbish. May be Ed stepped down to concentrate on his game after not having much game time last season.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

No I really think Slater has been replaced due the fact that, as harsh as this might sound, we have better second row options than Slater so he won't play as many games.

Slater is a good player but Williams, Kitchener and Barrow are better.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

OTY is a senior player who is now unlikely to spend long spells away on international duty. After being dropped by England it may be a good way to show him his club still appreciate him!

With lots of new players at the club over the past year or so it is valuable to have a guy leading that shows week in and week out that nothing short of 100% commitment is acceptable.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I saw him yesterday, and he looked like he was in good condition, with no extra weight. He will gain match day fitness quite quickly, I believe.
As regards his England spot, EJ will not ignore him if he plays well, and on good form he will have a shout with the Lions Selection also.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

The good news is that Ed Slater will be fit for the start of the season...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36912982
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Slates is saying, he's stepped down so he can concentrate on getting back to fitness and playing first and foremost