Johnson v Eales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DorianWestsHead

Johnson v Eales

Post by DorianWestsHead »

Gonna be a biased vote but who do you reckon was the better leader of Men. John eales or martin johnson both were exceptional but who was the greatest captain. Please try to be unbiased :smt005
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Johnson v eales

Post by ellis9 »

My unbiased view- Martin Johnson
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

As a true democrat, I've put this to the vote in our family - that's Mrs Strawclearer and the three little Strawclearers.

As Acting Returning Officer, I now announce the number of votes cast as follows:

John Eales - Queensland Reds & Australia - no votes.

Martin Osborne Johnson CBE - Leicester Tigers, New Zealand U21's, England and The British & Irish Lions - 16,472 votes.

Vincent Hanna: "And there we have it - a sensational win for Johnson! Mr Strawclearer - 5 voters but 16,472 votes - a slight anomaly?"

Strawclearer: "Not really, Mr Hanna. You see, Mr Johnson may look like a gorilla who's been put in rugby kit and strategically shaved but he's a brilliant leader of men. The number of votes we cast is simply a reflection of how firmly we believe in his abilities."

-----------
With thanks to Edmund Blackadder and while we're talking about votes and democracy and referenda... :smt026
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

strawclearer wrote:As a true democrat, I've put this to the vote in our family - that's Mrs Strawclearer and the three little Strawclearers.

As Acting Returning Officer, I now announce the number of votes cast as follows:

John Eales - Queensland Reds & Australia - no votes.

Martin Osborne Johnson CBE - Leicester Tigers, New Zealand U21's, England and The British & Irish Lions - 16,472 votes.

Vincent Hanna: "And there we have it - a sensational win for Johnson! Mr Strawclearer - 5 voters but 16,472 votes - a slight anomaly?"

Strawclearer: "Not really, Mr Hanna. You see, Mr Johnson may look like a gorilla who's been put in rugby kit and strategically shaved but he's a brilliant leader of men. The number of votes we cast is simply a reflection of how firmly we believe in his abilities."

-----------
With thanks to Edmund Blackadder and while we're talking about votes and democracy and referenda... :smt026
As they used to say "vote early, vote often"
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Personally I won't bother to vote but speculate on what a superb pairing they'd have made together.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DickyP wrote:Personally I won't bother to vote but speculate on what a superb pairing they'd have made together.
Contenders for the second row in anyone's ':censored: frightening XV'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BarmyBamford

Re: Johnson v Eales

Post by BarmyBamford »

Not so long ago many retrospective " best of's " were created and some were All Time Rugby XVs.
The 2nd row was usually Eales and Johnson, the captain,nearly always Johnson.

That may strengthen the case made by the landslide vote earlier in the thread.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

BarmyBamford wrote:Not so long ago many retrospective " best of's " were created and some were All Time Rugby XVs.
The 2nd row was usually Eales and Johnson, the captain,nearly always Johnson.

That may strengthen the case made by the landslide vote earlier in the thread.

Allowing for the difference in era / sport science, would you say MJ was a better second row than
Maro Itoje ?

MJ of course has the longevity of excellence on his side of the debate, where as Maro has dominated games, and showed skills at the highest level in a way we haven't seen from an English second row ever.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Allowing for the difference in era / sport science, would you say MJ was a better second row than
Maro Itoje ?

MJ of course has the longevity of excellence on his side of the debate, where as Maro has dominated games, and showed skills at the highest level in a way we haven't seen from an English second row ever.[/quote]

Interesting question. If Itoje develops into a leader as good as his playing ability I speculate he may surpass MJ. However, it is rare for the leadership/playing ability to be evenly matched. Sometimes it is better to have a lesser player for the sake of the captaincy magic. Johnno had both.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Old Hob wrote:Allowing for the difference in era / sport science, would you say MJ was a better second row than
Maro Itoje ?

MJ of course has the longevity of excellence on his side of the debate, where as Maro has dominated games, and showed skills at the highest level in a way we haven't seen from an English second row ever.
Interesting question. If Itoje develops into a leader as good as his playing ability I speculate he may surpass MJ. However, it is rare for the leadership/playing ability to be evenly matched. Sometimes it is better to have a lesser player for the sake of the captaincy magic. Johnno had both.[/quote]
Neither were as reliable goal kickers as Eales. Who let's not forget once kicked a last gasp penalty to win a Bledisloe Cup match.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Definitely Eales, Martin Johnson of whom I've always been a big fan was very fortunate that he had a tremendous generation of players to work with both for club and country, Eales however managed to turn a modest bunch into a fine team and that requires very hard work and deep insights in both terms of tactics and personnel management.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I never saw Johno have a bad game. I don't think he ever had one.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bill Beaumont and Will Carling had men follow them, but neither were great players. Johnno did have both the ability to play and lead, very, very rare individual.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.