Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by wormus »

kpj tiger wrote:Munster fans seem to be really disappointing at the prospect of loosing him, we might have our future front row resources stocked well with Betts, Genge, Hills, Mcguigan and Thacker
Looks like a deal is done from the attached report :-http://www.planetrugby.com/news/tigers- ... rop-betts/
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leice ... story.html
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Have added Betts as now confirmed
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

I see that the BBC is reporting on Beaumont jnr signing on at Sale for a new deal. Even though I'm happy with our current line up, I was hoping that we might have a look at Beaumont or Morgan this year.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

In this weeks radio programme RC says this is our smallest ever squad - sure he said 33....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Knightonian wrote:In this weeks radio programme RC says this is our smallest ever squad - sure he said 33....
41 listed on the Senior Squad page. There were always going to be more "outs" than "ins" at the end of the past season though, particularly in a backline decimated by players with long term injuries (Morris/Benjamin/Camacho etc).
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Knightonian wrote:In this weeks radio programme RC says this is our smallest ever squad - sure he said 33....
Did he say it was a good or a bad thing. Have to say I think we've gone more for "depth" than "quality" at times over the last 3/4 seasons. Difficult balance to get right of course..
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

A marauding number 8 is the only real slot we need filling imo...I am hoping Hamilton could be this and maybe Fonua will come on but I would have loved a Morgan or a Beaumont..
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Still think there's room for another outside back.
Probably a wing/fullback option, as Betham has proven he can cover centre.
Beyond that, the squad looks a little better balanced. If Fonua can stay fit, he can be the wrecking ball 8 many are hoping for. Failing that, McCafferey's all round back row game last year is good enough for me, plus we'll see what Hamilton has to offer.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
41 listed on the Senior Squad page. There were always going to be more "outs" than "ins" at the end of the past season though, particularly in a backline decimated by players with long term injuries (Morris/Benjamin/Camacho etc).
Don't see why long term injuries have played any part in the balance of ins and outs. On the other hand, with last season having included the World Cup, the usual pattern is to have more players on the books as cover in a WC season and then slim the squad down the following season. Which is what/has happened.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I've read that Sam Underhill is in danger of losing his England accreditation if he remains with Ospreys, shouldn't Tigers investigate the possibility of recruiting this excellent forward who can play anywhere along the back row?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Don't see why long term injuries have played any part in the balance of ins and outs.
They do when you have a player like Camacho who was effectively offered a one year deal last season as he had been injured for the duration of his previous deal. We then probably ended up over subscribed in the wing/full back slots as other players were brought in on what were initially short term deals who may not have been had others, such as Morris/Benjamin, been fit.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Noddy555 wrote:I've read that Sam Underhill is in danger of losing his England accreditation if he remains with Ospreys, shouldn't Tigers investigate the possibility of recruiting this excellent forward who can play anywhere along the back row?
Sam Underhill has been told he can't be selected unless there's an injury crisis. I'd imagine half of the AP are keeping an eye on him including his boyhood club Gloucester. As he went to Wales to get a degree I would imagine he'll stay there until he graduates at 21 and heads back. He's getting loads of game time for the Ospreys whilst there so he's not harming his development.

I don't think he'll qualify for Wales as he's a student and so not technically a resident in Wales.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Even if Underhill can qualify for Wales soon, I wouldn't worry. If he wants to play for the country of his birth, his own country then he will move to England soon enough. If not then he doesn't want to play for England that much and I wouldn't want someone like that anyway.

This is why I love this rule. If you want to play for England that much, you'd make sure you're playing in England.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote:Even if Underhill can qualify for Wales soon, I wouldn't worry. If he wants to play for the country of his birth, his own country then he will move to England soon enough. If not then he doesn't want to play for England that much and I wouldn't want someone like that anyway.

This is why I love this rule. If you want to play for England that much, you'd make sure you're playing in England.

Why would he want to play for the USA?