Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread

Post by wormus »

PaleoTiger wrote:
Ads677 wrote:As a matter of interest, and referred to in the Pundit Arena article, has Ben Betts joined us and if so why doesn't he appear on any of the squad lists?
He's with us, I believe he played in the Osprey's away game for us.

http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/25180.php
Yes he played well @ Ospreys and he played against Treviso see the Match reports on the website :- http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/25203.php :smt045
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

jgriffin wrote:The fog won't clear for a while, but the ONLY position I'm bothered about is 8. We have a bunch of great players, including some emerging talents like Evans and Worth; however, exactly how our new philosophy will impact on the AP, I reserve judgement. Certainly having lots of quasi-7s about creates slow ball for the opposition and enhances our defence as well as turnover chances, BUT I (and Mrs G) do like to have a real force at the back of the scrum. What we need is someone with the heft of WoolyPully and the skills and athleticism of Steeeeeve.
I'm afraid I am beginning to agree regarding the quasi-7s.
I just don't see where this current crop are going as they are currently being set up especially when you are bringing smaller players in other parts of the pack, that just doesn't make any sense at all in todays level of physicality IMO, the conceded mauls being prime examples.
To my mind I still can't realistically see any further than Mike Williams and McCaffery alongside a proper No8.
Now were it a 6, 7 and 8 of Steve, Steve and Steve then I'd be more confident at club level, plenty of everything all over rather than lots of one thing and not a great deal else.
Cheery chappy
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noggs wrote:
TigerCam wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6G5uiupHX8

another clip of MM
He looks very useful; strong, fast and a good step. Difficult to see why he was let go but that being the case he shouldn't break the bank. Hope we sign him. :smt023
Interesting clip! Exactly which one of the South Sea Islands is he from?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BeeJ

Post by BeeJ »

People keep banging on about us needing a big, ball-carrying No.8: why?

I believe we're evolving, courtesy of the input of Aaron Mauger, towards an All Blacks style of pack. We don't need humongous gym monkeys to dominate the set pieces; we simply need to ensure we win our own and sometimes nick one off the opposition. We need forwards who are comfortable with the ball in hand and don't feel the need to look for contact and automatically go to ground after a few steps.

Yesterday I watched the AB's demolition of the Wallabies at the weekend and their back row was immense. If our back row can emulate this, then I'll almost feel sorry for the rest of the league.

When Aaron Mauger came to Leicester as a player, we were scratching our heads for the first season. It was only in his second season we realised what he was trying to do - I believe the same will happen with him as head coach.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

My only concern is for the times when the weather or the opposition dictate the use of a big 8. I certainly am not advocating the opposite of AM's trajectory, nor the path Falcons seem to be taking with buckets of monsters. Otherwise I can, and did, see the way have the stealers really makes life difficult for the opposition and facilitates counter-offence.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

By the same argument, Australia's choice to go without a legitimate 8 didn't pan out for them did it.
Reid is a unique 8 in the Parrisse bracket, in that while he does posses fanstatic handling and vision to be comfortable in wider channels, he also has the physicality to carry direct.
I just feel a plan B option is required, someone with a more direct approach that our back line can then launch from. Doesn't have to be a big name, just a Mulipola/Veianu type project signing.
Last edited by FrontRowUnionMember on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

jgriffin wrote:My only concern is for the times when the weather or the opposition dictate the use of a big 8. I certainly am not advocating the opposite of AM's trajectory, nor the path Falcons seem to be taking with buckets of monsters. Otherwise I can, and did, see the way have the stealers really makes life difficult for the opposition and facilitates counter-offence.
That is clearly the main plan and it'll be interesting to see if they can make that work against quality opposition to a percentage level enough to succeed.

I think it's a little unfair to tag Falcons as taking buckets of monsters, with Nili Latu who is only 6 feet tall and about 16 stone which is average in todays environment but currently he is injured and I think they needed another body and Fonua was available.

I think BeeJ's comment above is losing sight of what many people are advocating as a No8 and a player like Nili Latu highlights that, it's not purely about the size but what they bring to the team.
Cheery chappy
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

The Boy Dave wrote:
jgriffin wrote:My only concern is for the times when the weather or the opposition dictate the use of a big 8. I certainly am not advocating the opposite of AM's trajectory, nor the path Falcons seem to be taking with buckets of monsters. Otherwise I can, and did, see the way have the stealers really makes life difficult for the opposition and facilitates counter-offence.
That is clearly the main plan and it'll be interesting to see if they can make that work against quality opposition to a percentage level enough to succeed.

I think it's a little unfair to tag Falcons as taking buckets of monsters, with Nili Latu who is only 6 feet tall and about 16 stone which is average in todays environment but currently he is injured and I think they needed another body and Fonua was available.

Fair comment! Are we all going on Friday night? New kit, new playing surface,new hope.

I think BeeJ's comment above is losing sight of what many people are advocating as a No8 and a player like Nili Latu highlights that, it's not purely about the size but what they bring to the team.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:By the same argument, Australia's choice to go without a legitimate 8 didn't pan out for them did it.
Reid is a unique 8 in he Parrisse bracket, in that while he does losses fanstatic handling and vision to be comfortable in wider channels, he also has the physicality to carry direct.
I just feel a plan B option is required, someone with a more direct approach that our back line can then launch from. Doesn't have to be a big name, just a Mulipola/Veianu type project signing.
Yep, that's how I feel. Otherwise a very happy chappy.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If we accept that the AB's have been and still are the best team in the world, can someone please name some of their enormous rampaging No 8's? I can't! They have always had solid, ball playing No 8's who were mobile, good supporters, tacklers and off loaders but could also do a good job at the base if the scrum. They certainly never had a Fonua type of No 8 or at least not one that I can remember. Shelford (6'2" 14st 9lb), Brooke (6'3" 16st 1lb), Parisse (6'5" 17st 9lb), Merv Davies (6'5" 17st), Kerian Reid (6'4" 17st 5lb) all must rank in anyone's list of world class No 8's but they are or were all mobile ball players. Yes, Billy V is heavier at just over 20st but he is only 6'2" so offers not a lot at the line out other than a lifter.

Now look at our possibilities:- Fitzgerald (6'6" 18st 3lb), Hamilton (6'3" 16st 5lb), Slater (6'5" 18st 3lb), Williams (6'5" 18st 3lb), McCaffrey (6'4" 17st). I would say that we have good choices at No 8.

It is not about pure size but about skills and that is where Fonua was found wanting.

I Like this definition of what makes a great No 8 :-
"A quality No. 8 usually distinguishes himself by being a jack of all trades. They are defensively strong at close quarters and in the wide channels, fast and powerful with good hands, able to control the ball at the base of the scrum and able to provide an option in the lineout."
Hehehehehehehehe
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

With our new pitch 50% of our games should be on a decent pitch, of the rest 4 are plastic & most of the rest are decent leaving that 1 not to be mentioned that becomes a mud bath! So why the need of a lump at 8 to play in the mud?
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

Found this on the Radio Leicester Sport Twitter feed: confirmed by Cockers -

Richard Cockerill has confirmed they're looking to bring in a new number 8 following Opeti Fonua's recent departure from Leicester Tigers.

Wonder who we will be looking at; the big ball carrier or more mobile 8 discussed here!

https://twitter.com/bbcrlsport?lang=en-gb
Christophelp

Post by Christophelp »

trendylfj wrote:Now look at our possibilities:- Fitzgerald (6'6" 18st 3lb), Hamilton (6'3" 16st 5lb), Slater (6'5" 18st 3lb), Williams (6'5" 18st 3lb), McCaffrey (6'4" 17st). I would say that we have good choices at No 8.
O'Connor?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Christophelp wrote:
trendylfj wrote:Now look at our possibilities:- Fitzgerald (6'6" 18st 3lb), Hamilton (6'3" 16st 5lb), Slater (6'5" 18st 3lb), Williams (6'5" 18st 3lb), McCaffrey (6'4" 17st). I would say that we have good choices at No 8.
O'Connor?
Don't see O'Connor as a No 8 more of a flanker for me as are our other backrow options but accept his inclusion as a possibility.
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

trendylfj wrote:
Christophelp wrote:
O'Connor?
Don't see O'Connor as a No 8 more of a flanker for me as are our other backrow options but accept his inclusion as a possibility.

TBF he has prob had the most experiance @8 out of all the other options.