Matt Toomua

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Toomau

Post by Cagey Tiger »

trendylfj wrote:I don't have a twitter a/c but why doesn't someone ask him when he is coming???
Just had a quick look, he hasn't posted since Oct 2014.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Watched Brumbies v Reds yesterday and he looked quite sharp: was interesting to see that although he didn't place kick he did take all the other re-start kicks - kick offs, 22s, kicks for touch/corner etc.

Two potential problems he'll have in England though:

1. Like all the players on the field he and they were suffering because it was 'cold' - 4°C (40°F) and wet - a little light drizzle.

2. He has a penchant for 'flat'(forward) passes which are ignored in Super Rugby but will be definite forward passes most of the time with Premiership refs.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Past few seasons TIGERS have not performed in the early parts of the season and have timed their run, and form, post Christmas. In MHO it had served us pretty well and therefore Toomau's arrival would coincide with this late surge. However squads have got stronger and the season could be over by the time we get a run.

I am pleased with the signings and expect great things this season.
No excuses this season....
I disagree with every point made here.
By my reckoning and I do believe that the facts back me up, the 2015/16 season started very well and finished very badly.
10 wins from 11 matches in the first half of the 2015/16 season during 2015 and then 10 wins from 20 matches in 2016 in competitive Premiership and Champions Cup fixtures.
Excuse's had some validity, injuries were suffered but what was pathetic was how injuries were managed and replacements used on an amateurish level IMO, the quite obvious favouritism and reasons behind them were divisive all round.
Matt Smith was another one who started the season on fire but we hardly saw him in 2016, IMO he should've continued in such form, poor management IMO.
I don't like to see names waltz into a team when others have played well in their absence, it's not good and the consequences can be very damaging.
IMO though it all started going downhill badly when OTY sat on the bench for the entire match away at Sarries and tiny Mr T was responsible for the entire pack getting an absolute hammering, confidence never recovered and selection became about who and not what and as said it all became divisive.
Last season was the worst managed season that I have ever witnessed.
If Toomua doesn't arrive as stated in the summer then that's more potential upset created.
Given we were told he would arrive in the summer then that is amateurish once again.
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'll be disappointed if Toomua is very late arriving, as this will be another BOC situation with an over-use injury waiting. I also agree about the misuse of Smithy who IMO formed a superb partnership with Betham.
Still feel we are a couple of players 'off', can't put my finger on it apart from perhaps #8....TBH would love to have Steeeeve back, my idea of a rampaging forward. :smt010
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

jgriffin wrote:I'll be disappointed if Toomua is very late arriving, as this will be another BOC situation with an over-use injury waiting. I also agree about the misuse of Smithy who IMO formed a superb partnership with Betham.
Still feel we are a couple of players 'off', can't put my finger on it apart from perhaps #8....TBH would love to have Steeeeve back, my idea of a rampaging forward. :smt010
Steeeeve has joined Castres hasn't he?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Stu_F wrote:
jgriffin wrote:I'll be disappointed if Toomua is very late arriving, as this will be another BOC situation with an over-use injury waiting. I also agree about the misuse of Smithy who IMO formed a superb partnership with Betham.
Steeeeve has joined Castres hasn't he?
I believe so, he's getting nearer to 'home' :smt023
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

When we first signed Toomua, I don't remember him being in the Aussie squad, has his recent selection now caused the delay, will Cockers get the hump like when TTTE got selected into the National squad? :smt001
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Matt will arrive when his contract has finished in Oz, nothing anyone over here can have any influence over. Please continue the toy throwing, it's hilarious.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

tigerburnie
Matt will arrive when his contract has finished in Oz, nothing anyone over here can have any influence over. Please continue the toy throwing, it's hilarious.
I wouldn't expect you to say much different tigerburnie.
Of course it was different though on the one occasion you splashed out to attend a pre-season game in Edinburgh a couple of years ago.
You reserved the right to moan on that one occasion and yet mock anyone else who dares to do similar.
Last season was pathetic, I think any fool could see that, and this Toomua business isn't the best start to next season either.
In the end it'll happen when it happens but this bloke who is just going to waltz in on mega money during mid-season won't do morale any good.
IMO it is looking like another possible write off.
Cheery chappy
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Last season was pathetic? What?!

This season is looking like a possible write off?! Seriously?!

I've seen some negative comments on this forum but that statement is just ridiculous!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

You clearly don't fully appreciate team sports ellis9!
These are mostly top players and morale can be that bit extra needed to turn a team of also-rans into Champions.
The real stars of last season were the uncomplicated players, the players who go about their business with minimum fuss and can often be ones on the least money.
Players like Matt Smith, Peter Betham and Lachlan McCaffery.
The big names are no less important but it was the big name individuals who ruined last season IMO.
No reason to believe the same won't happen and going on the Toomua situation I'd put money on it happening again.
They haven't got a clue what they are doing, as a simple rule you just don't make things more complicated than they need to be as that will usually happen unexpectedly on occasions anyway.
Cheery chappy
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

The Boy Dave wrote: The big names are no less important but it was the big name individuals who ruined last season IMO.
Which ones?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Well done on making your original statement look not so ridiculous by posting an even more ridiculous one!

I completely understand team sport and I think you're extremely harsh to say the big name players ruined last season. I don't even know how last season was ruined to be fair! A premiership semi final and a European Cup semi final and our season is classed as pathetic and ruined?! Unbelievable, completely unbelievable!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Skin_and_Muscle

Which ones?
No disrespect meant as everyone has their own view but if it's needed spelling out then there is little point in doing so.
ellis9

Well done on making your original statement look not so ridiculous by posting an even more ridiculous one!

I completely understand team sport and I think you're extremely harsh to say the big name players ruined last season. I don't even know how last season was ruined to be fair! A premiership semi final and a European Cup semi final and our season is classed as pathetic and ruined?! Unbelievable, completely unbelievable!
I actually do really appreciate that view from yourself as according to previous form there is some level of comfort to know that you completely disagree with me, thanks! :smt023
Last season was ruined by a poor run of form due to a number of self made issues from within and the potential for a home Premiership semi-final was thrown away and the knock-on effect on confidence resulted in not taking full advantage of a good group in Europe with a very poor Champions Cup semi-final performance.
Just that little bit extra was lacking to take advantage.
Tigers could've been in two finals IMO, then anything could've happened.
On topic this Toomua situation will either help or hinder the push for honours next season, it's now a risk anyway and it shouldn't be.
Cheery chappy
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Surely we can't expect him or JJP to arrive before the termination of their respective club's seasons and in the case of Pietersen he will surely be called up by South Africa for the 4 nation series in the Autumn? I think a little patience is required here. On another subject does anyone know when the Aviva fixtures for next season are announced?