Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Manu Tuilagi

Post by fortysix »

After the staggering display by England for the last two matches, where does this leave Manu ?

If and when he does return to full fitness, it seems Farrell is now embedded in the 12 spot, and I am happy to admit personally I got it totally wrong, the guy has nerves of steel and is a surefire matchwinner

Ford also is probably nailed in at 10, and even if he has a blip, there IMO is a better option in Cipriani as back up

Ditto Slade for an injured Farrell

So taking all this into account, where do you all think Manu will end up, bearing in mind his defence can be laughable
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Soggypitch »

His best position is 13 so no worries. Play some great games outside Matt Tomoua and take the 13 shirt from JJ - injuries permitting of course!!!
Soggypitch
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Soggypitch wrote:His best position is 13 so no worries. Play some great games outside Matt Tomoua and take the 13 shirt from JJ - injuries permitting of course!!!
Exactly - Ford and Farrell / Burns and Toomua as receivers with Manu 13!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Manu Tuilagi should be on the pitch somewhere. Whether it is at 12 or 13, he is simply just too good not to play. Could take Farrells place at 12 no problem but most likely will be at 13.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He will play 13 in place of Joseph. If Ford plays at 10 he need a kicker like Farrell outside him at 12.

If Farrell plays 10 then he could play either 12 or 13 but I still think he's a better 13.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Or he could be used by England as an impact sub
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

I think he needs to regain his form first, but once he does, agree he will be back to being a fab 13 for Tigers (and England).

The southern hemisphere style game seems to be pushing us all to a distributor at 12 (as well as 10) - which should help unlock those tight, on-rushing defences.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

The worry this year was that Manu seemed powerful and strong but he seemed to be noticeably slower.

I think if he wants to get back into the England side, he needs to focus on being a bit fitter and quicker and perhaps a little less bulk might reduce the chance of injuries.

As when he first broke onto the scene in 2010/11, he was seriously quick as well as powerful.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No I disagree with most posts on this topic. Manu needs to get fit and re-establish his club form before he can be considered for an international place. I find most posters completely myopic on the subject of Manu, he is no where near approaching his form of 2012/13 which I considered to be his best season.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tuilagi should now have to earn his place back in the England side.

The incumbents are doing rather well and its all about momentum. As Sir Jonny said on Saturday, anyone wanting to play in the senior team now has to work hard to get to the required level, and the players already in the team will have to work even harder to keep their places as the new talent climbs ever aspirationally towards them.

I also don't think Tuilagi is the weapon he once was. Stuart Lancaster used to pick Tuilagi and base the whole team's strategy around him. It was predictable and teams found it easy to work out. He's still hard to stop of course, but if you know where he's going to pop up, its easy enough to cover him off. He's certainly lost a bit of pace and dare I say it, may be becoming injury prone.

I wouldn't discount him, but I doubt EJ is too concerned over his absence.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Manu was just starting to show some form before he got injured in the European semi in Nottingham. His handling skills seemed better and was running smarter lines like he used to rather than just the Allesana side step!

He has had a rotten year or two with injures - fractured cheek, torn pectoral and groin injury all causing lengthy spells out so a bit of rust and lack of sharpness was bound to be the case. The away game at Stade saw him all at sea in defence.

Assuming he recovers from his hamstring injury he should be good to go for the start of the season. Players like him don't come along to often and I don't think Joseph has been one of the stars in Australia so I expect to see him in the Autumn internationals.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Form is temporary,class is permanent.Ford has not been on his best form for his club, but has made the England team.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

jonlin wrote:Form is temporary,class is permanent.
If that were the case Hill, Back and Dallaglio would still be England's back row.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

mol2 wrote:
jonlin wrote:Form is temporary,class is permanent.
If that were the case Hill, Back and Dallaglio would still be England's back row.
I do get the feeling that for some on here, every Tigers player is world class (and woe-betide you if you think otherwise), and that its a travesty that every single EQP of them isn't in an England shirt....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Manu's clearly a class act and he will clearly have a big part to play in the England side for a long time. I don't think anyone really contests that.

As to whether he's world class or not.... well it's an arbitrary label that nobody can agree with. Who cares?

It's probably a good thing that he isn't going on tour this summer. Let him build his fitness up instead. But I agree, his future is increasingly to me looking like it will pan out to be at 13. Particularly with us signing Toomua.