Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Starting XV next season

Post by drc_007 »

strawclearer wrote:
Bowden Tiger wrote:I don't think we should underestimate Tom Croft. He has just completed a near injury free season, and will come back next season even fitter. I would have him in my 23 as he adds something different, special even, and has some years left if he keeps injury free!
Agreed. He's only 30 and he's spent a good proportion of the last 3 years with the physio. Probably got a couple of good years left if he stays injury-free. I think 'rotation' works best when you have 2 players genuinely competing for the starting shirt - like Croft and Williams.
To be honest if the attrition we have seen this season in the back-row is a sign of things to come then we will need as much cover as possible.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No the first post is wrong to leave out Graham Kitchener and Slater who had such a marvellous partnership before it was interrupted by injury. It is really too early to pick a team for the opening fixture, but I believe that the pre season friendlies on the 26th of August must be used to blood all fit members of our first team Squad i.e. all 46 players. Only then will we know who is match ready and showing some form.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Barrow is first name on the team sheet for me. My player of last season. Aggressive, athletic and a work rate that coaches dream of. The next Johnno without doubt. Him and Kitch make a good partnership.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree with your 30 strawclearer. I also hope Croft kicks on this season as I'm a fan, but we have been beaten up in the forwards too often last season and Croft plus all the others will need to bring more physicality to their games.

Mike Williams, Slater and Barrow are key, as is Tom Youngs IMO.

I would love to see us sign a genuine 8 such as Beaumont or Morgan, but presently I'm still more concerned about the centres, mainly because I have no faith in Manu playing more than a handful of games (sincerely hope I'm wrong!!!).

If we aspire to be the best then Catchpole/Roberts/Smith (good players all) are just not good enough at the highest level. We need at least one other centre that can play 12/13 who is a class above the norm IMO.

Unless Manu/Toomua stay fit all season of course; they should have been facing each other next Saturday in Brisbane, but yes they are both injured!!
Soggypitch
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

12) Toomua
13) Betham

Would be pretty good combo.

Think it would be easier to look for another decent winger, than another top Midfielder ATM unfortunately esp that would fit the cap.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote:12) Toomua
13) Betham

Think it would be easier to look for another decent winger, than another top Midfielder ATM unfortunately esp that would fit the cap.
Agreed - I didn't see Betham playing anywhere other than wing when he joined. I think he's proved to be perfectly acceptable as 13 and I'd much prefer to see him there than Tait for example.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

strawclearer wrote:
RagingBull wrote:12) Toomua
13) Betham

Agreed - I didn't see Betham playing anywhere other than wing when he joined. I think he's proved to be perfectly acceptable as 13 and I'd much prefer to see him there than Tait for example.
Yes agreed but we still need another quality centre IMO!
Soggypitch
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Tough to pick a best XV these days. There will be injuries, and there will be a case of horses for courses. I do think though that we have a very good squad.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I agree about Betham at 13 and I think we wouldn't get the very best out of him on the wing (strange baring in mind he is a winger!) but Tuilagi has to be in the centres somewhere. Manu at 12 with Betham at 13 leaves Toomua out. Toomua at 12 with Manu at 13 at least means Betham on the wing which is his natural position.

What a selection dilemma to have!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Technically the need for an extra centre or fullback could be covered by a player like Ben Ransom (for example), experienced enough, fullback or wing like Veianu, so between them they could cover Betham's role on the wing, who then moves infield to centre.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I think it is more exciting to think about all the possible selections that will happen. With the form that Matt Smith was in in before his injury, just imagine Toomua at 10, Smith at 12 and Manu at 13, with JPP and Betham on the wings and Veainu at 15.

At least in the backs, Cockers and Mauger are lucky sods next year! Maybe not least in the backs...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Pellsey wrote:I think it is more exciting to think about all the possible selections that will happen. With the form that Matt Smith was in in before his injury, just imagine Toomua at 10, Smith at 12 and Manu at 13, with JPP and Betham on the wings and Veainu at 15.

At least in the backs, Cockers and Mauger are lucky sods next year! Maybe not least in the backs...
I think I'd rather imagine Burns at 10 and Toomua at 12 - 2 great receivers - with Smith on the bench.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

strawclearer wrote:
Pellsey wrote:I think it is more exciting to think about all the possible selections that will happen. With the form that Matt Smith was in in before his injury, just imagine Toomua at 10, Smith at 12 and Manu at 13, with JPP and Betham on the wings and Veainu at 15.

I think I'd rather imagine Burns at 10 and Toomua at 12 - 2 great receivers - with Smith on the bench.
Oh Strawclearer, I agree! But my point was that even if "major" players are rested, then the team is still of excellence quality. That is what excites me!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

#please delete
NotAndyGoode

Post by NotAndyGoode »

More to come aswell, Six extra players released than have been taken in so expecting to see a few more transfers, and I doubt they will lack quality.