Goneva Tackling

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mersey Tiger

Goneva Tackling

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Before I start, I must say that I am a big fan of Niki, and I wish him all the very best at Newcastle Falcons. He is without doubt one of the most clinical finishers that Tigers have had.

BUT........

One thing that has always worried me - and looking back at the Semi against Saracens - is that I do not rate his tackling. (Or his capacity to dive on the ball when kciked through :smt009 ). Of course, he has done lots of good tackles while with Tigers, but I always feel that it is not his strongest point. Many times opponents seem to avoid his clutches! :smt009

I just wanted to ask if this criticism is shared by others on this Forum? Please say if I am being unfair!

The follow-on question then becomes, might Tigers' Defence improve with Niki having moved on? Will next season's wingers be more robust in the tackle?

Answers please on a stamped-addressed £50 note.
Neil Back is the Greatest!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Goneva Tackling

Post by fortysix »

You are 100% correct

Niki shares with Alesana Tuilagi and Chris Ashton the rather embarrassing liability ( at that level) of not having the bottle. if thats the right word, to ever tackle head on, or put their ''head'' on the line, when it counts..

Unlike, for example, Harry Ellis Lewis Moody , Matt Smith and Neil Back

Thats why Ashton has not been selected , by the way.

It takes all sorts and I personally was no different as a rugby player, so it takes one to know one !
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Best defensive wing I ever saw was - Michael Anthony Slemen of Liverpool, England and the Lions!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Also a part time touch judge during a barbarians game, if my childhood memory serves me well.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

strawclearer wrote:Best defensive wing I ever saw was - Michael Anthony Slemen of Liverpool, England and the Lions!
Who lost his place in the England team due to his inability to tackle Barry Evans one Barbarians match! Or so it was said at the time.
Crumbie Deeks

Post by Crumbie Deeks »

Didn't get anywhere near him, Baz did him for speed on the outside, one of the great moments in the traditional boxing day fixture.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ok ok...try this:

Best part-time-touch-judging, barbaric Baz-avoiding, dropped-from-England defensive wing I ever saw was - Michael Anthony Slemen of Liverpool, England and the Lions!

Jeez!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives