England Eligibility

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

England Eligibility

Post by Soggypitch »

Interesting article by SCW in the Mail today.

Makes you think....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... gland.html
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: England Eligibility

Post by ellis9 »

Not really. It couldn't be much clearer could it?! If you want to play for England, you have to play in England. It's not that hard to understand!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ellis9 wrote:Not really. It couldn't be much clearer could it?! If you want to play for England, you have to play in England. It's not that hard to understand!
Well with Ben Te'o likely to pull on an England shirt before he runs out in an AP shirt it does seem to drive a coach and horses through much of the argument. Also you dismiss SCW's views with no regard at all - I think he deserves better than that whether you agree or disagree with him. Did you actually read the article?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes I disagree with what he said and yes I read the article.

He questioned whether Te'o deserves to play for England over Steffon Armitage who played for 10 years in England. The answer is simple, yes he does. This is because the rule is you have to play in England to play for England. Ben Te'o has signed for an English club, Armitage hasn't, therefore Te'o can play for England and Armitage can't.

Why does me disagreeing with what SCW said mean I don't respect him?! I could be the biggest fan of SCW but it doesn't mean I would agree with everything he says.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Armitage wanted to play for England so badly he would of moved to England by now
Last edited by RagingBull on Sat May 28, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ellis9 wrote:Yes I disagree with what he said and yes I read the article.

He questioned whether Te'o deserves to play for England over Steffon Armitage who played for 10 years in England. The answer is simple, yes he does. This is because the rule is you have to play in England to play for England. Ben Te'o has signed for an English club, Armitage hasn't, therefore Te'o can play for England and Armitage can't.

Why does me disagreeing with what SCW said mean I don't respect him?! I could be the biggest fan of SCW but it doesn't mean I would agree with everything he says.
Ben Te'o has been selected for England while still playing for an overseas club and is likely to play for England before playing for an English club. Doesn't that strike you as even slightly ambiguous?
Also, your original summary of the selection criteria is, as I'm sure we both know, not strictly correct.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes it is correct. I just didn't add the "exceptional circumstances" bit.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ellis9 wrote:Yes it is correct. I just didn't add the "exceptional circumstances" bit.
Don't you think that caveat makes a significant difference to your original statement?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Well it's common knowledge isn't it?!

Anyway, when has the exceptional circumstances rule been used?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

To me there are two separate issues. I have a certain "difficulty" with the selection of Te'o, because of his playing history. As outlined eloquently by SCW, playing for England at Rugby Union has not been pursued until very recently.

As for Armitage et al, it isn't just a case of being released for training and games, the AP clubs also restrict their number of appearances (for a small consideration, on top of the small consideration they receive for players being unavailable during the international windows).

I doubt that the RFU would "compensate" a non-English club/region/province for the unavailability of an English player outside the international windows. The same goes for the other unions and their players playing "abroad".

I think that the ARU have come to a relatively reasonable compromise on this and would not have a problem with a similar scheme in England. I certainly think that adopting the free for all advocated by SCW would be a retrograde step in player welfare for England players.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I do not have any problem with who ever plays for England given the boundaries that have been set by other countries. If it is a matter of principle then that went out the window many moons ago. If Teo is good enough in EJ plan then so be it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

RagingBull wrote:If Armitage wanted to play for England so badly he would of moved to England by now
It really is this simple.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Agree with Cagey.........the guy hasn't played for a club in the Prem but he's about to pull on an England shirt.
Does it break the rules? Apparently not. Do I like it ? No, not one bit.
The words Sam and Burgess come to mind................Nurse, medication,quick!
Let's hope he doesn't screw up Wuss like Burgess did Bath.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

tigercaspian wrote:Agree with Cagey.........the guy hasn't played for a club in the Prem but he's about to pull on an England shirt.
No, England screwed Burgess up, not his club. As a result of the screw up, Burgess had little choice (in his own mind) to abandon the club. He can hardly be blamed for ruining Bath's league chances....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Roly wrote:
tigercaspian wrote:Agree with Cagey.........the guy hasn't played for a club in the Prem but he's about to pull on an England shirt.
No, England screwed Burgess up, not his club. As a result of the screw up, Burgess had little choice (in his own mind) to abandon the club. He can hardly be blamed for ruining Bath's league chances....
No one screwed Burgess up, he achieved his ambition to play in the World Cup and earn some decent dosh along the way. Mission accomplished he then returned to where he came from.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity