England v Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England v Wales

Post by fortysix »

A second string England totally outclassed a bad Welsh 1st string...

If Flakey Ford had kicked his 6 misses, the score would have been well in the 40's

Hate to say it, but Farrell at 10 with Cipriani and Burns IMO well in front of Ford, who just , err, crumbles....
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

He looked like a lad with a lot on his mind........quite why he was left on so long I don't know.
Thought Genge did well enough in his short time on
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well job done. Always nice to beat the Welsh, or anyone else for that matter.

Front row as expected, held it's own but nothing outstanding. Good to see Genge get a run.

Launchbury immense and deservedly MOTM. Clifford took his chance well. Would puffing Billy have scored that try?

Watson best of the backs, then Yaarde. Not convinced about Burrell, just a crash bash man and Joseph tends to go AWOL at times. Goode will surely replace Brown in Aus.

Ben Youngs, good breaks and try but passing often far to wayward at this level for me.

Ford - oh dear - totally lost it - a conversion rate of what 20%? Needs to go on Saxons tour - just not up to it at the moment.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
leic

Post by leic »

Does anyone rate Ben Youngs! What ever he does he gets criticised. I've been reading loads of stuff tonight and quite honestly it's depressing. Yes he makes mistakes but so do a lot of players, however it annoys me we always have to see the negatives, never the positives. He's a great player.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Ah well, here's something for all the EJ (and Ford) bashers on this forum :smt003. From the BBC website:

England head coach Eddie Jones believes fly-half George Ford was "outstanding" in Sunday's win against Wales, despite an erratic kicking performance.

Ford, 23, missed six of his seven attempts at the posts in the 27-13 victory at Twickenham.

"Everyone has a bad day missing goal kicks - Tiger Woods misses putts," Jones told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It's just one of those things. I think he played exceptionally well for us. I thought he was outstanding."

Ford, who has started at 10 in every one of the six games overseen by Jones, was on kicking duties because of Owen Farrell's absence.

Saracens fly-half Farrell, 24, who has been used at centre for England by Jones, was unavailable to face Wales because he featured in his club's Premiership final win over Exeter on Saturday.

This was Ford's first game since his father Mike was sacked as director of rugby at Bath - the club the younger Ford plays for.

"I was very impressed with him. He's had a tough period of time," said Australian Jones.

"People don't realise how difficult it has been. To play with that aplomb today was a very good effort."
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

ellis9 wrote:Correct and that's what I initially thought had happened but it looked like Cole knocked the ball forward on to the Welsh players leg which then knocked it towards England, meaning it was a knock on.
But the spidercam (poor quality, as it was) seemed to show that the ball never got as far as Moriarty. As far as I could see, the ball went down and slightly backwards to DC's leg, then further back to the floor. No knock-on.

Anyway, the officials were happy. And, as we know, they are the sole arbiters of fact.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Good display by England - always nice to beat the Welsh!

I'm a Ford fan but his confidence looks shot to me, the only way EJ can play him in Aus is with Farrell at 12 and is that combo really our best?

It's a tough call for Eddie but he is a winner if nothing else and he will no doubt make the correct decision. It's also worth remembering that Goode is an excellent kicker, and on form he should definitely be starting at 15, thought he had another great game on Saturday, and the harder grounds really suit his game.
Soggypitch
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

ellis9 wrote:Correct and that's what I initially thought had happened but it looked like Cole knocked the ball forward on to the Welsh players leg which then knocked it towards England, meaning it was a knock on.
Please do not criticise Dan Cole as he was at the front of the action leading the pack and "scooped" the ball backwards for Clifford to score another piece of brilliant play by Coley.
Great play by Ben Youngs too, his try was excellent and at a crucial time in the game too.
Poor George Ford, yes 1 / 6 but with his fathers alledged antics and the Bath sacking he has plenty on his mind, but yes a Saxons call may be the best and give Cips a try or even a conversion!
Well played Ellis for the time he was on he looked keen to carry forward and defend.
I bet it's a bit quiet at "The Wilted Daffodil" this week Big Dai!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

wormus wrote:
Please do not criticise Dan Cole as he was at the front of the action leading the pack and "scooped" the ball backwards for Clifford to score another piece of brilliant play by Coley.
Great play by Ben Youngs too, his try was excellent and at a crucial time in the game too.
Poor George Ford, yes 1 / 6 but with his fathers alledged antics and the Bath sacking he has plenty on his mind, but yes a Saxons call may be the best and give Cips a try or even a conversion!
Well played Ellis for the time he was on he looked keen to carry forward and defend.
I bet it's a bit quiet at "The Wilted Daffodil" this week Big Dai!
I'm thinking of rechristening the place "The Silent Leek!"
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

And what did the BBC's headlines say on it's red button pages?
One of the Welsh players was injured and out of the tour to NZ. Overlooking England winning the game altogether.

The 3rd division football play offs got more of a mention than an international rugby match.

English rugby might as well not exist as far as the BBC is concerned.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

leic wrote:Does anyone rate Ben Youngs! What ever he does he gets criticised. I've been reading loads of stuff tonight and quite honestly it's depressing. Yes he makes mistakes but so do a lot of players, however it annoys me we always have to see the negatives, never the positives. He's a great player.
I do - but I think I'm about the only other one who does on this forum :smt009

Actually didn't think he had a brilliant game for England - but laughed at the Stuart Barnes comment of "he takes too many steps and that makes it easy to defend against" just 30 seconds before he takes the same number of steps, holds the defence and puts Burrell through for the first try. Also good to see his pace and dart for his try and the one that effectively swung the momentum into England's favour for good.

All that when not playing at his best - pretty decent then :smt003
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Bristol Tiger wrote:
leic wrote:Does anyone rate Ben Youngs! What ever he does he gets criticised. I've been reading loads of stuff tonight and quite honestly it's depressing. Yes he makes mistakes but so do a lot of players, however it annoys me we always have to see the negatives, never the positives. He's a great player.
I do - but I think I'm about the only other one who does on this forum :smt009

Actually didn't think he had a brilliant game for England - but laughed at the Stuart Barnes comment of "he takes too many steps and that makes it easy to defend against" just 30 seconds before he takes the same number of steps, holds the defence and puts Burrell through for the first try. Also good to see his pace and dart for his try and the one that effectively swung the momentum into England's favour for good.

All that when not playing at his best - pretty decent then :smt003
I didn't think he was rubbish at all, not wonderful but pretty good, and Care wasn't a step up IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Just watched the highlights - didn't see the game live - and saw Ellis Genge make 2 good tackles, one which winded Welsh #4 Jake Ball (19st) and another which stopped a side-stepping George North in his tracks. Excellent and thank you Bristol! :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

strawclearer wrote:Just watched the highlights - didn't see the game live - and saw Ellis Genge make 2 good tackles, one which winded Welsh #4 Jake Ball (19st) and another which stopped a side-stepping George North in his tracks. Excellent and thank you Bristol! :smt003
That, and compressing Farrell's kidneys last week, suggest we've bagged a useful defender.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

loretta wrote:
But the spidercam (poor quality, as it was) seemed to show that the ball never got as far as Moriarty. As far as I could see, the ball went down and slightly backwards to DC's leg, then further back to the floor. No knock-on.

Anyway, the officials were happy. And, as we know, they are the sole arbiters of fact.
Even in real time and full speed, it was fairly obvious that ball went backwards. The video ref was able to confirm that with very little analysis. Try all day long.

Quite funny to hear Greenwood putting Quinnel back in his box regarding his assessment of the play...

The Welsh reaction to the decision was borderline football. I think it was at that point they lost the plot.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.