Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Genge for England.

Post by wormus »

fentiger wrote:
SIBARITE wrote:
strawclearer wrote:Starting to believe that, with a year-long masterclass from Marcos, this guy could be exceptional! Get him signed up!
Due to work I missed the last third of the game. How was he in the scrum?
First scrum, I think, he won a penalty!
Then gave away a penalty for a late-ish tackle that wiped out Owen Farrell and Hodgson kicked the points.
Genge is a great prospect, not played much by Bristol, came here, was made welcome, trained with the front row team, played well and then into the 23 v Saracens, probably as a request from Eddie and had a great last 1/4 against Saracens. Yes picked v Wales and Australia squads. Good luck Ellis, but the Bristol website are not at all happy that he is labelled a Tiger.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Interesting to see how the Convicts test out the size of the fight in the man, as Cockers might say?
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Have we signed him yet?
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Spicer wrote:Have we signed him yet?
Not yet, will probably cost us a couple of £'s more now :smt001
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Depends on what you hear,all i have heard is that he is a done deal and we are just waiting for Bristol's season to finish now so we can announce it.

Would be tough on ~Bristol and it's fans to have announced it during the play-offs I guess.

That is the word on the grapevine.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I like Eddie Jones thinking on Genge and Sinkler, and the fact that he is prepared to take risks on young players.
They still have plenty to learn and have a big opportunity.
It's saved us from the jelly babies like Wilson and Brookes for now anyway.
Cheery chappy
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Well done to the lad, there's clearly a lot of talent there. But what kind of indictment is this on the quality of English qualified props when a young lad with three appearances in the Premiership is suddenly our best option to go on tour once Marler is out? It's a little concerning isn't it...?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Iain wrote:Well done to the lad, there's clearly a lot of talent there. But what kind of indictment is this on the quality of English qualified props when a young lad with three appearances in the Premiership is suddenly our best option to go on tour once Marler is out? It's a little concerning isn't it...?
Don't think it is so much the best option but more the fact that he plays the style Eddie likes.

I highly doubt both him and sinckler are intended to be on the pitch v Aus.
OliverS

Post by OliverS »

RagingBull wrote:
Iain wrote:Well done to the lad, there's clearly a lot of talent there. But what kind of indictment is this on the quality of English qualified props when a young lad with three appearances in the Premiership is suddenly our best option to go on tour once Marler is out? It's a little concerning isn't it...?
Don't think it is so much the best option but more the fact that he plays the style Eddie likes.

I highly doubt both him and sinckler are intended to be on the pitch v Aus.
I wonder if Iain isn't too far off - Marler hasn't been his best for a while and Coley had the better of Mako on Saturday - I think Mako is best off the bench for England. Marler & Mako have played a lot of Rugby over the last year or so - Marler just needs a break(?) - Coley curiously now back to his best after his enforced long 'break'. On a sidenote I think Ben Youngs is a little burned-out, too.

I do like the thought of Cole and Genge book-ending the England front row - I don't like Eastenders but more than a hint of Phil & Grant about them! Then add in Hartley when he hits form as their lost cousin! All three of them telling the opposite front row to 'wind their necks in' when it gets gobby has got to be worth a sackful of penalties!
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

RagingBull beat me to it with his thoughts :smt001

Given that AFAIK the loan deal stated that Genge would be available back to Bristol for the Play-off Final, if they got to it, then I suppose that technically he could be required to be available for Wednesday's 2nd Leg versus Doncaster.

Therefore, out of politeness/ prior agreement/ prudence, Genge's signing for Tigers would not take place until afterwards.

Ever since I heard that Jordan Crane was possibly going to Bristol - whilst still having a year left on his contract - I have thought there was a quid pro quo in place between the two clubs. Effectively IMO they have swapped Genge and Crane for the benefit of all concerned.

So keep your eyes peeled for an announcement on Thursday or Friday.
Neil Back is the Greatest!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

McGuigan in the saxons.

No other tigers players.

Barrow should be in it.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It might reflect the lack of depth of English loose heads but it might just be that a prodigious talent has been identified and Eddie Jones is looking to the future and giving him an opportunity in spite of his inexperience.

He hardly looked out of his depth against the European champions on Saturday.
Cole, George and Genge to munch the Aussie front row.
I suspect that Genge and George will be on the bench.