Different Attitudes to Eye Gouging?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mersey Tiger

Different Attitudes to Eye Gouging?

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I find the variation in attitudes to eye-gouging between Rugby Union and Football quite amazing.

In the recent Chelsea v Tottenham match the Spurs players completely "lost it" when it finished 2-2 and thereby ended their chances of beating the Foxes to the Premiership. (Many might recall a small party taking place at Mr Vardy's residence :smt002 )

Mousa Dembele then clearly and incontrovertably made contact with Diego Costa's eye, and was rightly banned.
BUT HE WAS ONLY BANNED FOR SIX MATCHES! :smt013

And then Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino brands the ban 'unfair' claiming the punishment for the eye-gouge was at odds with a typical three-match suspension received for a violent tackle.
He seems to have lost sight of the fact that eye-gouging can mean that the victim actually loses their sight (permanently)!

Yet in Rugby Union we see bans of over a year (quite rightly). And some players have been banned where there is actually no clear evidence that contact was made with the eye! (Tigers suffering for this, as we all know).

I am just surprised that this comparative issue has not been raised more in the media (but I may have missed it). It does tend to back up the feeling that football players are worth so much to clubs that they cannot afford to not have them available to play, and that money has blinded clubs and managers to what the real issue is.

So I thought that I would put this before you all - my fellow posters - and invite comments. (Although I can guess what the majority will say). Maybe we should campaign for greater equality between sports for punishing such misdemeanours!
Neil Back is the Greatest!
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Different Attitudes to Eye Gouging?

Post by tigercaspian »

I agree with you, had had the same thoughts and, having watched the match live, thought 'blimey, I wonder if soccer has the same ban guidelines as rugby' ?
Unlike you, I was too lazy to post it!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It's just a rarity in football I'm not sure they have developed an attitude or suitable punishment for it yet! It was a pretty bizarre incident and thankfully afaik there is no permanent damage (don't think he managed to make contact with the actual eye).
chris11
Tiger Cub

Post by chris11 »

ourla wrote:It's just a rarity in football I'm not sure they have developed an attitude or suitable punishment for it yet! It was a pretty bizarre incident and thankfully afaik there is no permanent damage (don't think he managed to make contact with the actual eye).
I think you hit the nail, ourla - the relative lack of close-quarter contact in soccer means that the authorities were caught out by this incident.

The inconsistency is even more obvious because in so many other ways the disciplinary 'tariffs' in soccer are much higher than in rugby. The sort of niggly pushing and shoving that happens after a collapsed scrum (frequently/chauvinistically referred to as "...handbags"!) generally leads to - at the very most - a "calm down, gentlemen" from the referee would in soccer probably end in a red card (or two) and an automatic 3 match ban.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Eye Gouging is eye gouging if people have a different attitude to how we deal with it then I think they are wrong. This is one of the worst forms of foul play and should carry a 6 month ban minimum and a course on how lucky that individual is to have his sight. Perhaps throw in some compulsory work with the RNIB to discover how lucky he is.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Noddy 555
+1
in whatever sport.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Absolutely agree with Noddy - totally unacceptable. I will throw another thought into the equation.

Rugby has a "made contact with the eye area" definition which I am not totally happy with. Surely an unintentional contact with the palm of the hand is not gouging and I hope that the Beaks look at that aspect as well. What the fingers are doing should be the main definition of gouging.
Hehehehehehehehe
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Eye Gouging is eye gouging
Actually that is not quite true is it. There can be anything from accidental contact in the area of the eye right through to a deliberate attempt to actually damage the eye itself and several stages in between. If you remember Owen Williams got a 6 match ban two years ago for "acts contrary to good sportsmanship/making contact with the eye(s) or eye area of Luther Burrell". Do you think he should have got 6 months?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

this is probably the first and will most like be the last time this has ever happened so I don't think the FA really knew what to do with this incident.

He probably should have got longer and if it happens again the next dick no doubt will...