It's not Fords fault . . .seems it was!! Now leaving!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: It's not Fords fault . . .

Post by LE18 »

It's usually called bullying in most work places and comes under disciplinary Proceadure!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

darganj wrote:Iain, is there any part of you that doubts Cockers? Do you think Leicester have the most "rugby intelligent" DoR in the league? Do you really really believe that?

Because I think the biggest and best club should have the most "rugby intelligent" DoR?
He's got the intelligence to know his own limitations, hence bringing in Mauger. I also do think he's a very astute coach and our best spells this year, in my opinion, have come when Cockerill has forced Mauger into balancing the playing style.

Additionally, you'd find it hard to find anyone who is more committed to a club and its values than Cockerill. The fact that he is maintaining these while the playing and coaching styles evolve shows a great deal of intelligence.

Take the behind-the-scenes documentary about the 1997 Lions' tour and you could criticise Ian McGeechan for only spouting rhetoric but you'd be a fool to think a) that's all he did, and b) that he wasn't successful. So, why criticise Cockerill for it?

You're also forgetting that Cockerill is a very successful DoR. It was only two seasons ago that we last won the premiership, and the intermediate seasons he dragged us into the top 4 without having an experienced head coach/attack coach. This year, the players have had to get used to a drastically different style of play and he's still managed to direct us into the top 4 in both the premiership and Europe. If that's not a sign of a good quality DoR, I don't know what is.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote: You're also forgetting that Cockerill is a very successful DoR. It was only two seasons ago that we last won the premiership, and the intermediate seasons he dragged us into the top 4 without having an experienced head coach/attack coach. This year, the players have had to get used to a drastically different style of play and he's still managed to direct us into the top 4 in both the premiership and Europe. If that's not a sign of a good quality DoR, I don't know what is.
:smt023
Cockers has made mistakes but claiming he never made one is not one of them! Anyway, it's not how we make mistakes but how we correct them that defines us.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

ellis9 wrote:No not the part in the changing room with Will Evans. Like I said, it was whilst they were training on the training pitch.

To follow up on the comment about Will Evans, please do not say you feel that was a bad thing?! It's called banter and having a laugh. Clearly, you have never played rugby or stepped foot inside a rugby teams changing room.
After playing for 18 years up to semi-pro level, I obviously know that was well spirited but it was hardly the height of wit
Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
darganj wrote:Iain, is there any part of you that doubts Cockers? Do you think Leicester have the most "rugby intelligent" DoR in the league? Do you really really believe that?

Because I think the biggest and best club should have the most "rugby intelligent" DoR?
He's got the intelligence to know his own limitations, hence bringing in Mauger. I also do think he's a very astute coach and our best spells this year, in my opinion, have come when Cockerill has forced Mauger into balancing the playing style.

Additionally, you'd find it hard to find anyone who is more committed to a club and its values than Cockerill. The fact that he is maintaining these while the playing and coaching styles evolve shows a great deal of intelligence.

Take the behind-the-scenes documentary about the 1997 Lions' tour and you could criticise Ian McGeechan for only spouting rhetoric but you'd be a fool to think a) that's all he did, and b) that he wasn't successful. So, why criticise Cockerill for it?

You're also forgetting that Cockerill is a very successful DoR. It was only two seasons ago that we last won the premiership, and the intermediate seasons he dragged us into the top 4 without having an experienced head coach/attack coach. This year, the players have had to get used to a drastically different style of play and he's still managed to direct us into the top 4 in both the premiership and Europe. If that's not a sign of a good quality DoR, I don't know what is.

I wish Iain had the guts to reply to my question.

I think that is a decent reply from you, but lets not forget in the years that Cockers has won trophies he has had the best side by miles.

I just look at the players he has not got the best out of and its a long :censored: list. I'm not going to go into the whys of Waldrom, Ford, 36 etc etc. But he has had a hell of a lot of mishaps.

I just don't think he is in the same class as a Rob Baxter, Mark McCall or a Dai Young. Please notice I am not including Jim Mallinder.

And you are going to reply saying well they haven't won etc etc. But they don't have a 24,000 seater stadium full every week and the squads Leicester have had. Now the playing ground is getting even, Cocker's limitations are becoming more and more pronounced.

It will take a minor miracle for us to beat Sarries. So another trophyless year. Backs and attacking structure have improved due to Mauger and the Forwards have gone backwards.

So except for signing Mauger, what has Cockers achieved this year? As the two best signings, Betham and Veainu seem to be down to Mauger.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Iain wrote:I'll flip that. Is there any part of you that rates Cockerill?
Come on mate, show me your well reasoned argument.

Don't spout rhetoric. Actual rugby reasons.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

More than happy to reply to you.

He has limitations. His knowledge of back play and attacking lines was found wanting last season. But the impressive thing was he didn't hide behind arrogance or his track record and recognised he needed a head coach who could fix that issue.

He gets the ethos of the club. He loves the club as much as we do having played and coached in it for the thick wedge of 25 years. There is a 'Leicester Way' that is to be applauded that he is central to. He's ruthless yet paternalistic and he has a track record that's head and shoulders above most Directors of Rugby in the World. We are lucky to have someone like him running our team.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

darganj wrote:After watching the Leicester XV documentary on Sky, it confirmed everything I have always thought about Cockerill.
That would be what is known as "confirmation bias". As it is something you have "always thought" it's very unlikely to change at this stage and you will seek to confirm that view at every available opportunity.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Bullying in the workplace! :smt005

This is not a normal workplace. If it was, there would be many things that have happened over the years where players would be sacked etc such as Clark breaking Hawkins arm, Hartley's many misdemeanours etc etc.

I do dislike this politically correct world.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

darganj wrote:After playing for 18 years up to semi-pro level,
It will take a minor miracle for us to beat Sarries. So another trophyless year.
Didn't your coach get fed up with you running out on to the pitch saying to rest of the team that you'd no chance of winning and that it was a waste of time turning up?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

h's dad wrote:
darganj wrote:After playing for 18 years up to semi-pro level,
It will take a minor miracle for us to beat Sarries. So another trophyless year.
Didn't your coach get fed up with you running out on to the pitch saying to rest of the team that you'd no chance of winning and that it was a waste of time turning up?
He didn't say who he played for...may have been Richmond's own jonah for all we know. All I know is what I read on here, where Roly denigrates all and sundry and darganj conducts his anti-Cockers campaign. I doubt that anyone including McCall (who benefitted big time from hidden largesse) could've kept us going through the bad seasons like Cockers did. Baxter has done well but it took a lot of churn to get to this season, and a lot of question marks. No DOR is omnipotent, some are simply worse than others. IMO Diamond is the best of the lot, doing what he has done on slender resources (don't have to like him, simply respect), Mallinder and COS over-rated.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Iain wrote:More than happy to reply to you.

He has limitations. His knowledge of back play and attacking lines was found wanting last season. But the impressive thing was he didn't hide behind arrogance or his track record and recognised he needed a head coach who could fix that issue.

He gets the ethos of the club. He loves the club as much as we do having played and coached in it for the thick wedge of 25 years. There is a 'Leicester Way' that is to be applauded that he is central to. He's ruthless yet paternalistic and he has a track record that's head and shoulders above most Directors of Rugby in the World. We are lucky to have someone like him running our team.
You sound like the PR department of a family business that is about to be taken over by a big corporate.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

If Cockers hadn't gone in at half time of the Glouester game and shouted and sworn, I'd be disappointed!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

darganj wrote:

You sound like the PR department of a family business that is about to be taken over by a big corporate.
(sigh) :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

darganj wrote:

What was it you were hoping I'd say?

I say these things because I believe them to be true.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Roly wrote:Gloating isn't particularly clever coming from a DoR either. But I suppose its to be expected on a club's forum, where inevitably people will attempt to use it as an opportunity to use that club's success (perceived or otherwise) to fill in the gaps in their own (perhaps) unfulfilled lives.
I would suggest that there are more unfulfilled whingers than unfulfilled gloaters. I expect it comes to them much more naturally.
Probably true, as I suspect does fawning obsequiousness when it comes to some.
I'm completely missing the relevance of this. I'm not aware that any of us are saying that Cockers, or any DofR is without fault, including Cockers himself who can sometimes be more frank about his limitations than might be publicly advisable.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game