2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours and Transfers Thread Part 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: 2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours and Transfers Thread Par

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote:So he was released from his contract/contract not renewed then.

Pretty much the same thing. Either way, he wasn't rated too highly otherwise we would have played him more and he would probably have stayed.
No his contract ended we offered him a new one, Irish offered him a contract with more game time.

He took the Irish contract.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Oh ok. Maybe would have been better for you to say that originally when you made the statement of "we didn't release him". :smt023
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

Paolo Odogwu comments in the Sale article on the BBC website about leaving Tigers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/36516729

After Will Evans performance at the weekend, it would be good to get confirmation of his arrival into the first team squad too.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Raging if that's true about Harry Wells it's a decision I applaud I've seen him play a couple of times and have been impressed. Do we know how many players we now have in our first team squad? Last season I think we ended up with 46 which is two squads of about 23 plus 35 in the academy squad does anyone have the facts for 2016/17?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote:Raging if that's true about Harry Wells it's a decision I applaud I've seen him play a couple of times and have been impressed. Do we know how many players we now have in our first team squad? Last season I think we ended up with 46 which is two squads of about 23 plus 35 in the academy squad does anyone have the facts for 2016/17?
On his personal Twitter page, Harry Wells describes himself as "Rugby Player at Leicester Tigers. Husband. Father. Springsteen fanatic. Big Coffee Fan." Looks like he tweets regularly so I assume that description is up-to-date.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Noddy555 wrote:Raging if that's true about Harry Wells it's a decision I applaud I've seen him play a couple of times and have been impressed. Do we know how many players we now have in our first team squad? Last season I think we ended up with 46 which is two squads of about 23 plus 35 in the academy squad does anyone have the facts for 2016/17?
It was a World Cup season so squad numbers will have been higher than for the other 3 years in the cycle.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Odogwu another under 20 who thinks he is ready for first team action !!! why can't young players accept that they still have a lot to learn and need to develop their game? if at his age I'd have been anywhere near any sort of professional contract I would have been happy to be involved however little. These young players who want too much too soon are becoming too common.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote:Odogwu another under 20 who thinks he is ready for first team action !!! why can't young players accept that they still have a lot to learn and need to develop their game? if at his age I'd have been anywhere near any sort of professional contract I would have been happy to be involved however little. These young players who want too much too soon are becoming too common.
I suspect it might be their agents
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

drc_007 wrote:
GETHIN EXILE wrote:Odogwu another under 20 who thinks he is ready for first team action !!! why can't young players accept that they still have a lot to learn and need to develop their game? if at his age I'd have been anywhere near any sort of professional contract I would have been happy to be involved however little. These young players who want too much too soon are becoming too common.
I suspect it might be their agents
Yep. Their "commodity" always has the sad possibility of being one injury away from retirement, so they will probably try to get them playing where they can get the quickest return on their development.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

At 'his age', Itoje was already playing for England at junior level and had quite a few games for his club....

If you're good enough, you're good enough.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps he is ready - possibly not at the top league level but are they (players like Odogwu)going to develop their game on the training ground at Tigers better than they can at another club and also benefit from first team play?
We don't have a great track record in recent years of getting our backs into the first team at an early age and 2 years on the Tigers training ground won't be something that furthers his England career nor his bank balance. Having a relative who was a Tigers player may make a difference.

Top level sport is about fighting your way to the top and earning your living if doing it professionally.
Ambitions players will inevitably see their path obstructed by senior players and may decide that the way forward is to leave where they will get more game time rather than wait until those senior players retire or get injured.

Wings are at their best in their early 20s so I say good luck to him. If he is genuinely as good as he and the other club thinks he could be in the England side come 2019.
If not he will fade into the list of bright prospects who never made it.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

RagingBull wrote:
ellis9 wrote:So he was released from his contract/contract not renewed then.

Pretty much the same thing. Either way, he wasn't rated too highly otherwise we would have played him more and he would probably have stayed.
No his contract ended we offered him a new one, Irish offered him a contract with more game time.

He took the Irish contract.
He was contractually assured of game time, was he?

I smell the whiff of fiction.

He may have left to get game time, but I doubt anyone has guaranteed game time written into their contract. He was probably just trying to move to a club that would give him the opportunity to play. He certainly wasn't offered that at Tigers.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

I'm honestly perplexed we have signed Brady and let Odogwu go?

Surely Odogwu is the cheaper squad player with more long term upside?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

darganj wrote:I'm honestly perplexed we have signed Brady and let Odogwu go?

Depends what you want from the player in relation to the team context - if you want a very competent AP player hitting the ground running in Sept then it's Brady, if you want a 2-year development project then perhaps it's Odugwu.
Some posters on here would have a massive development side with SBW and a few stars. Doesn't work like that.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

jgriffin wrote:
darganj wrote:I'm honestly perplexed we have signed Brady and let Odogwu go?

Depends what you want from the player in relation to the team context - if you want a very competent AP player hitting the ground running in Sept then it's Brady, if you want a 2-year development project then perhaps it's Odugwu.
Some posters on here would have a massive development side with SBW and a few stars. Doesn't work like that.
Do you need a competent AP player to be hitting the ground running when he's likely to be somewhere down the winger pecking order anyway. Which is the reason that Odogwu left.

The idea that you need to heavily recruit mediocrity just in case you lose a host of players in any one position and need an experienced fifth choice is exactly why the club struggles to develop players.

Players need to play to improve. The idea that all young players need to prove themselves for half a decade at Oval Park before they can be allowed on the bench is really unhelpful when it comes to retaining good players. And let's face it, good players are usually committed and ambitious. That drive is one of the things that makes them good. So we can have the attitude that if they don't want to toil away in the A team, unrecognized and unrewarded, then they aren't the sort of player that we want. But that's the fastest way to ensure that we simply stop producing top players.

We should want ambitious and confident players. And we should in turn provide the platform for that ambition. Otherwise they will leave and we will simply get along by importing fairly decent players from clubs below us in the table. Which is likely to be a smaller number of clubs with each passing season...