Tigers v Sarries - Saturday 21st May at 12-30

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Sarries - Saturday 21st May at 12-30

Post by jgriffin »

We have nothing to lose by playing open attacking rugby, since according to most papers and Sarries fans they are a shoo-in for the AP, since nobody is as good and they are the greatest team ever etc etc...... :smt004

My concern is that Tigers are playing a schtum game and we will see no Manu or BOC. We need McCaffrey and BOC in there with Croft for the lineouts and our full side out there hitting the breakdowns and recycling fast ball. I just wonder if we have significant injuries.... :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Saracens 1/3. Tigers 12/5. I will take a little of that on Tigers. But might wait to see if Manu and BOC are fit before dipping into my pocket !
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Sajerj wrote:Saracens 1/3. Tigers 12/5. I will take a little of that on Tigers. But might wait to see if Manu and BOC are fit before dipping into my pocket !
He who hesitates?

Twickers here we come!! :smt027 :smt027

KEEP THE FAITH
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Grinsteadtiger wrote:Not sure about this, but certain someone will put right. Does this mean when we beat Sarries on Sat we become the best team in Europe?
If we were to beat the All Blacks, Saffas, Wallabies and the Harlem Globetrotters all on the same day, some people would still find a way to put a downer on things!
I can hear it now "yeah but we could only do it in the 'pay-offs' " or, yeah but we won using mercenary Islanders and has-beens" or "Sarries just came off the back of a gruelling final", etc, ad infinitum...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

TigerCam wrote:
Sajerj wrote:Saracens 1/3. Tigers 12/5. I will take a little of that on Tigers. But might wait to see if Manu and BOC are fit before dipping into my pocket !
He who hesitates?

KEEP THE FAITH

Already have my final tickets bought TC. :smt023
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Sajerj wrote:
TigerCam wrote:
He who hesitates?

KEEP THE FAITH

Already have my final tickets bought TC. :smt023
But have you placed the bet yet? :smt026
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

As I've already said on another thread, I enjoyed the final, although it may have appealed only to the purists amongst us. But, as one respected former coach said prior to the match, "how anyone can criticise Saracens' style of play is beyond me".

They were utterly ruthless against Racing (who lost a lot of shape after Carter left the field). It must be quite disheartening for opposition players as from 1 to 23, there don't appear to be any visible weaknesses in the team. They work hard for each other, their basics are very good, they're accurate and they have the ability to change plans if they need to.

They were particularly impressive at the breakdown where they turned Racing over several times. Itoje, Kruis and Fraser must terrify defences. This is where they'll run slip-shod over Tigers next week. Tigers simply do not have the wherewithal and nous to compete with Saracens in this area of play and they simply have not been supporting each other consistently in broken play.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Everyone seems to be holding off suggesting what the team should be, so I will happily be the first to be shot down in flames! I really hope Manu and O'Connor are fit. Even though Harry has played brilliantly, I do wonder if he would make more of a difference as an impact sub. I want a team that takes the game to them from the start and then keeps the pressure up.

Whilst I would like to see Veainu at fullback I have still gone for Tait. If everyone is fit, some will be unlucky to miss out, especially in the Locks/back row.

1. Ayerza 2. Ghiraldini 3. Cole 4. Slater 5. Barrow 6. Fitzgerald 7. O'Connor 8. McCaffrey 9. Youngs 10. Williams 11. Goneva 12. Manu 13. Betham 14. Veainu 15. Tait subs Genge, Logo, Thacker, Croft, Fonua, Bell, Kitto, Thompstone
catflap
Tiger Cub

Post by catflap »

Sorry to hijack the discussion, but I am slightly confused, according to the ticket office coach tickets are £20 but on the earlier thread John G said they were £17. Are the club marking up the prices?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Roly wrote:As I've already said on another thread, I enjoyed the final, although it may have appealed only to the purists amongst us. But, as one respected former coach said prior to the match, "how anyone can criticise Saracens' style of play is beyond me".

Totally agree. As many have said on here about the Tigers, win well or win ugly it doesn't matter a win is a win and a trophy in the clubhouse is even better. So love them or hate them, you cannot deny Sarries their success!!

They were utterly ruthless against Racing (who lost a lot of shape after Carter left the field). The Tigers won't fold so easy!

They were particularly impressive at the breakdown where they turned Racing over several times. Itoje, Kruis and Fraser must terrify defences. This is where they'll run slip-shod over Tigers next week. Tigers simply do not have the wherewithal and nous to compete with Saracens in this area of play and they simply have not been supporting each other consistently in broken play.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Good first shout Downsouth...

I expect Thacker to start. Totally agree we need BOC and Manu.

No Kitch in your 23, so I may have missed an injury there. If not he starts ahead of Slater for me. Genge and Logo add fire off the bench but I'd go with Crane ahead of Fonua all day long. Come May on hard pitches Jordan is a much better option.

I'd have to say I like Veainu much better at 15 as he drifts out of games on the wing. I think a more attacking option is Tait on the bench and Tommo at 14.

Controversial but I'd also go with Will Evans ahead of Croft. And Bell seems to get in on default as no cover for 10 with Fred out, but other than his kicking I'm afraid I've never been a fan.

Anyone know if Sarries picked up any knocks during the Final?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Just looked... we have no friends on the markets!

Corals have us 10/3... ouch!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

MrPartridge wrote:Just looked... we have no friends on the markets!

Generous odds!

However, I'd imagine Saracens are buoyed by last weekend, really on a high. That, home advantage and that darn pitch means they are rightly favourites.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

MrPartridge wrote:Just looked... we have no friends on the markets!

I would say this is fair...we are big underdogs imo
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Martin Crowson just tweeted that Manu, Fitzgerald and O'Connor are all fit for the weekend :smt026