Development Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Development Squad

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It doesn't sound unreasonable. Of the current crop Evans has got into the team ahead of other back row options, Maksymiw hovers on the edge of the squad and Bryant has stepped up in a crisis. Worth was talked about at the start of the season and played today, so that may be a sign of things to come for him. Ben White is still an academy player, is he not? So that's three or four.

Sadly I think for the 20/21/22 year olds, some of them need to move on or, as we may be seeing with Charlie Beckett, try a positional switch. Players like Farnworth, Owen and Tressider just haven't been able to get into match day squads.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

None can complain as in fairness no-one has done here what the likes of Itoje (21) and Billy Vunipola (23) has, or Slade (23) and Nowell (23) and so on.
If you look around at the likes of Adam Hastings (19) and Joe Cokanasiga who is younger again it puts it into perspective.
There is a standard to be maintained otherwise you have to go out and find it with the likes of Barrow, Genge and McGuigan.
I think they have had the opportunity to develop but haven't really grabbed anything else.
Cheery chappy
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The Boy Dave wrote:None can complain as in fairness no-one has done here what the likes of Itoje (21) and Billy Vunipola (23) has, or Slade (23) and Nowell (23) and so on.
If you look around at the likes of Adam Hastings (19) and Joe Cokanasiga who is younger again it puts it into perspective.
There is a standard to be maintained otherwise you have to go out and find it with the likes of Barrow, Genge and McGuigan.
I think they have had the opportunity to develop but haven't really grabbed anything else.
I think this is the harsh reality of it all once we are 20 and older you have to start showing something.

As we have to make room for the likes of
Yawayawa (Who does look very good in the limited time i have seen him play)
White
Simmons
etc

so they can then get more game time in say LV cup and A league games and see if they have potential. 3/4 is a respectable amount to bring up (and more than what we usually do if the case).

Who knows maybe the freed up cash could go towards trying to keep Umaga?
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I think this is the harsh reality of it all once we are 20 and older you have to start showing something.

White
Simmons
etc

so they can then get more game time in say LV cup and A league games and see if they have potential. 3/4 is a respectable amount to bring up (and more than what we usually do if the case).

I think the harshest reality is the level and physicality of the mens game.
All the young players are obviously good young players but you don't truly find out until crunch time comes.
What are considered by some to be lesser players when young can sometimes thrive in the mens game, it's a real mixed bag and why I am not keen on elite youth rugby whilst the rest are discarded.
One thing that would be very sad is if young players are released in bulk earlier and earlier for funds to be freed up to keep very young individuals, and if agents etc are creeping into the equation also then I'm not sure where that ends!
Cheery chappy
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The Boy Dave wrote:

White
Simmons
etc

I think the harshest reality is the level and physicality of the mens game.
All the young players are obviously good young players but you don't truly find out until crunch time comes.
What are considered by some to be lesser players when young can sometimes thrive in the mens game, it's a real mixed bag and why I am not keen on elite youth rugby whilst the rest are discarded.
One thing that would be very sad is if young players are released in bulk earlier and earlier for funds to be freed up to keep very young individuals, and if agents etc are creeping into the equation also then I'm not sure where that ends!
I'm not saying that tigers are doing that but it could be a off shot for it.

This current group has about 10 or so players who are 21 now either they will be brought up or not by now.

Unfortunately I think agents will start to come into play nowish @U18 level the increase exposure from the likes of six nations and U18 league mixed in with name like Umaga who has gotten press already from NZ media and unfortunately the pro game can take its hold on them.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Odogwu on the face of it is a surprise. But we've only seen him in a couple of cameos at the start of the season really. The coaching staff will have seen far more, and I trust their judgement on extensive knowledge over mine on very limited knowledge.

Plus we have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes and whether something non-rugby related is a catalyst.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote:
I'm not saying that tigers are doing that but it could be a off shot for it.

This current group has about 10 or so players who are 21 now either they will be brought up or not by now.

Unfortunately I think agents will start to come into play nowish @U18 level the increase exposure from the likes of six nations and U18 league mixed in with name like Umaga who has gotten press already from NZ media and unfortunately the pro game can take its hold on them.
I make the current list of development players something like this:

Code: Select all

Name	              Date of Birth	Position	Age
Riccardo Brugnara	26/12/1993	Prop	        22
George Catchpole	22/01/1994	Centre/Wing	22
Harry Thacker	        18/02/1994	Hooker	        22
Tiziano Pasquali	14/07/1994	Prop	        21
George Tresidder	27/09/1994	Scrum Half	21
Ed Milne	        28/11/1994	Number 8	21
Jake Farnworth	        31/01/1995	Hooker/Flanker	21
Will Owen	         30/03/1995	Flanker	        21
Oliver Bryant	        08/05/1995	Fly Half	21
Joe Maksymiw	        20/09/1995	Lock	        20
Charlie Beckett	         03/11/1995	Lock	        20
John Hargreaves	        02/04/1996	Fly Half	20
Oliver Povoas	        18/05/1996	Flanker	        19
Charlie Thacker	        10/08/1996	Centre	        19
Owen Hills	         25/08/1996	Prop	        19
Dan Hogan	         25/08/1996	Prop	        19
Jamie Jack	         08/09/1996	Prop	        19
William Sutton	        05/10/1996	Full Back	19
George Worth	        08/10/1996	Centre	        19
Stone Priestley-Nangle	27/10/1996	Number 8	19
Wes Douglas	        28/11/1996	Wing	        19
Aubrey Grimes	        18/12/1996	Flanker	        19
Charlie Harvey	        20/12/1996	Lock	        19
Joe Green	        20/01/1997	Lock	        19
Will Evans	        28/01/1997	Flanker	        19
Munraj Atwal	        08/02/1997	Lock	        19
Paolo Udogwu	        18/02/1997	Wing	        19
Emilio Fusco	        11/05/1997	Scrum Half	19
Fred Tuilagi	        09/06/1997	Number 8	18
Some of those will have been released already but not announced and a few have been announced as leavers, such as Tresidder.

I think Harry Thacker & George Catchpole might also count as "First XV" squad now.

On that basis all but three is pretty harsh. Evans, Worth, Odogwu, Bryant, Brugnara & Pasquali have all featured for the first team this year and none are particularly old for their positions (Pas is same age next year as Cole & Balmain were when making their break throughs for instance).

Most of the other "older" ones have played for the First XV before at a young age and shown potential.

Some releases are inevitable but releasing everyone on that list save 3 players would be the definition of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

This is the current Development squad
http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/le ... _squad.php

Charlie Beckett
Oliver Bryant
Wesley Douglas
Will Evans
Jake Farnworth
Alex Galletly
Owen Hills
Daniel Hogan
Joe Maksymiw
George Murrin
George Nairn
Paolo Odogwu
Will Owen
Oliver Povoas
Stone Priestley-Nangle
Charlie Thacker
George Tresidder
Fred Tuilagi
George Worth

So on your list
Catchpole
Thacker
Brugnara
Tiz (who is leaving I believe)
Are senior players now.

Leavers already before season started.
Fusco
Atwal
Harvey
Grimes
Sutton
Jack
Hargreaves
Milne (Although on loan to rosslyn whilst studying)
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Very few front row players are ever likely to be playing at premiership level until their early 20s and only a handful of forwards - simply a case of developing the physical strength required. There are exceptions like Itoje but I would call him one of those once in a generation players who have both the physical attributes at a young age with the talent and game sense to match.

With backs it's a bit easier as speed is more of a requirement and that arrives earlier than strength. Ability is a different thing. Skills are learned early and experience can be gained. If you haven't the skill by your late teens you probably never will have it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wonder if Milne is classed as a development player or since he is on loan maybe not? Would be nice to bring him up from Rosslyn next season.
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Is it me, or has it gone quiet on which Development (and Academy) players are being retained and which are being released?

I know that some have definitely departed (e.g. Umaga) but given the original post to this thread, I would have anticipated a general club announcement by now. After all, any players being released will need time to seek fresh opportunities, and I do not believe that the club would be so unkind as to "lead them on" and then release them when it is too late for them to contact other clubs. (No doubt the club would actively support such players to find new clubs anyway).

News and even rumours are welcomed!
Neil Back is the Greatest!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote:Wonder if Milne is classed as a development player or since he is on loan maybe not? Would be nice to bring him up from Rosslyn next season.
Did he play for Leicester at all this season? I was pretty impressed with the little I saw of him tbf, particularly the Sale LV cup game
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

With mMauger it is not just about you playing ability but your attitude. Do you have the right ethos. Remember he was part of a group that changed the Mindset of the All Blacks that set them on a course for 2 world cup wins back to back.

If such a drastic clear out has occurred, then maybe it is about saying, look you guys are just not made of the right stuff to be a Tiger and we are going to start afresh with a new group of youngsters and start at the bottom and work up.

If that is the case I'm all for it. I have thought for some time that our back up players and emerging youngsters were just not good enough. 1 under 20 England player whilst Sarries have about 5 says it all.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Like mightyouse, I have total and unquestioning faith in The Club.

Whatever happens, The Club is always in the right.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Hmm.. not quite what I said..