Ticket pricing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Ticket pricing

Post by Iain »

Given that we've only sold out once this season and other than the Saints game failed to exceed the capacity we had before building the Cat Stand is it not time for a review of the pricing structure?

Once again on Saturday the 'gold' padded seats in the Cat were almost entirely empty. Who in their right mind is going to pay £60 for a seat behind the posts just because it has cushioning? The club seems to have gone down a route of trying to justify higher ticket prices that to me seems to be backfiring. We now have a 26,000 seater stadium that we need to be a bit more clever in trying to fill more often.

And I'm not buying the argument that it doesn't sell out because too many games are on a Sunday. That's just burying our heads in the sand.
PAW

Re: Ticket pricing

Post by PAW »

Although a reduced capacity, I believe West Ham have taken the decision to offer lower pricing to ensure a full Olympic Stadium.
Maybe Tigers should consider a similar strategy and apply nominal pricing options in some of the areas in less demand. Then reduce the 'Gold' seat prices to ensure they fill as well
A full ground creates a better atmosphere and apparently encourages the team. The club may lose some ticket revenue, but maybe £10 for an occupied seat is better than £0 for an empty one. There is also the knock on profits from food, drink and merchandise.
I think the King Power already sells out so we may not lose any floating support to them, but we need to fight for the hearts and minds of kids who will inevitably favour the higher profile round ball game, even before this seasons success.
Just one last thought - When we first published plans for stadium development, there was standing planned at the club house end. Standing tickets cost less, but we seem to have traded that for premium seats which are not selling. A bit of an own goal?
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Certainly as a non season ticket the prices put me off.

Was going to come to the Wuss game but tickets were £39/£45/£60 plus the cost of getting in and out of Welford Road plus food/drinks/parking etc.

At the end of the day I decided that forking out somewhere between £50 and £80 to sit in the cold and rain wasn't such a good idea.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

As someone who lives too far away to be a season ticket holder I also feel put off by the prices for individual games..£80 for two to sit and watch a game of rugby outside of London seems to steep imo..
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

I have had my gripe about this before, but I feel it is worth commenting again. Myself and my son are ardent fans, and were season ticket holders when he was younger. Now he works, and often at weekends. Our position now is that we sometimes don't know with any certainty whether we can make a game or not till two or three days before. Can someone explain to me why, when the ground isn't selling out, ticket prices go up the nearer to the game you try and book. I don't expect prices to go down nearer match day, that would be counter productive from the clubs point of view, but to raise prices as they do is ridiculous, and has on occasions this season put us of coming, especially when the game is on TV.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

PAW wrote: Just one last thought - When we first published plans for stadium development, there was standing planned at the club house end. Standing tickets cost less, but we seem to have traded that for premium seats which are not selling. A bit of an own goal?

I believe the decision to switch to seating tickets was due to the fact it is very difficult to build terraces now with all the legislation surrounding it. I think with the way building regulations are now you can have more people sitting that you can have standing in the same space.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Though I concur with the Tiger's management's desire to price seating at Welford Road to underline our status of being a World class club, I feel they have got their strategy wrong. They need to look at their seat prices in the two (*Special Lounges*) i.e the Club Lounge and the Tryline club more carefully, particularly when it comes to not offering reduced prices for children in these so called premier lounges. I thought that the whole ethos of the club pricing strategy was to encourage more families to attend whilst trying to maintain the maximum possible return from Gate money to compliment income received from television, the RFU and other sources. There also needs to be a thorough review of the returns system where I believe the current agency is falling far short of requirements. Empty seats for popular matches are not a brilliant advert for the club in any circumstances.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

What I find particularly annoying is that the seniors rate starts at age 65. As I already receive my state pension and my employment status is retired, why do I have to wait until I am 65 to qualify for this reduction? As my birthday inconveniently falls in February, I even have to wait until I am 65 and 6 months before I can get my season ticket renewed at senior rates. Doesn't seem fair really when I also have my bus pass and the Government classes me as a pensioner :smt027
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

My Dad's season ticket was adjusted automatically for this season as his 65th fell in April. I think it is if your 65th birthday falls within the season then you get senior citizen rates.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Thanks Iain - I'll look into that when the time comes.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I haven't seen this advertised anywhere but I brought a family member to the Worcester match and he said that he saw a sign advertising 17 year olds and under get in FREE next season. I haven't seen this anywhere so I don't know whether he read it wrong but if true, then that should hopefully help.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Ah yes I saw that too. I'm not sure of any other details.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

ellis9 wrote:I haven't seen this advertised anywhere but I brought a family member to the Worcester match and he said that he saw a sign advertising 17 year olds and under get in FREE next season. I haven't seen this anywhere so I don't know whether he read it wrong but if true, then that should hopefully help.
According to Tigers Pricing, Under 10s get in free if they are in Bronze or Terrace/Tiger Seat categories. When I wanted to get one of these for my grandson, I was told that they were only available for renewals, not for new members. If the 'Under 17s get in free' is true, then will it apply to all areas of the ground? This is significant because we are about to decide whether or not to renew our grandson's season ticket at a current cost of £170 in the silver section. If it is true then Tigers should publicise the details - QUICK!!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:What I find particularly annoying is that the seniors rate starts at age 65. As I already receive my state pension and my employment status is retired, why do I have to wait until I am 65 to qualify for this reduction? As my birthday inconveniently falls in February, I even have to wait until I am 65 and 6 months before I can get my season ticket renewed at senior rates. Doesn't seem fair really when I also have my bus pass and the Government classes me as a pensioner :smt027
You're annoyed? I turn 60 in a months time and don't get state pension or bus pass (how will I survive without one?) until I'm 66 and I'm one of the ones less affected by the change in state retirement age.

As for employment status, a rather nebulous idea. A lot of it is down to the individual. Win big on the lottery in your 20s and pack in work, so you're not employed, and if you don't register as unemployed (you wouldn't get any benefits, maybe credits towards state pension) the only other option is to say that you have retired. Also lots of people carry on working into their 70s while receiving a pension as well, are they retired? All being retired sort of says is that you don't work and are not looking for a job.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Without being rude, seniors take up the same amount of room as anyone. I understand the argument for those on a pension, I also know that not every pensioners finances are the same or indeed worse than those still working, how about a 'universal' price for all, spread the saving around all supporters with a lower price for everyone?? Just an idea, not being rude and no aspersions......