Play offs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Play offs

Post by Ian Cant »

Send out a strong team at Bath but Sarries has to be the focus. We can beat them with the right players fit which means rest Williams, without him we would be stuffed, rest Cole, Ayerza, Barrow,McA and all the backs.Bath is a chance to give other players a chance to go, with nothing to fear, give it a go. It is the first time in years though that my wife aren't going so it is easy for me to say this, however, despite our thrashings by Bath last season we are the ones who keep rocking up into the Play-offs. Congratulations to everyone at Tigers.
I look forward to taking on Sarries. Nothing to lose, massive underdogs and a chance to right all that went wrong v Racing.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Sure if certain players are a bit jaded or not fully fit they could be rested or benched, but other than that we should pick a team that we think can win. They get the following weekend off anyway.

I don't ever want to see Tigers accepting a defeat. We owe Barf one and winning creates it's own momentum and confidence.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The key point here is the two week gap between Bath and the semi final.

Plenty of time to have a good rest, but the game v Bath will help to keep match sharpness. Yes rest players with knocks, but otherwise play our best team, three weeks off is a long time, probably too long IMO.
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It may not be Saracens we face in the semi final. We could yet finish 2nd or 3rd. If we do get higher than 4th, I reckon it will only be 3rd which would be against Wasps. If Quins can beat Exeter and we get 5 points, that gets us 3rd and if Wasps then only get 2 points or less, that puts us 2nd but they face Irish so are very unlikely to lose. However, I can see Quins beating Exeter. We need to aim for 5 points against Bath so need to send the best team. Let's go for the jugular and even if we lose, we will still be in the semi final. If we go with a weakened team and lose and then either or both Wasps and Exeter lose, how disappointed would we feel knowing 2nd or 3rd could have been ours?!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We have to pick our strongest team, team will want to win and try to get 5 points to see what happens elsewhere, they then get 2 weeks off to recover, which cn be a bad thing match wise but good for recovery from knocks etc.
TopGun1972

Post by TopGun1972 »

Sorry I don't wash with this Mentality about fielding a strong side against Bath at all costs, it's about what's best for the team to be at their peak and have maximum impact in the play offs.

Silverware is what counts not about flexing your muscles in what effectively is more or less a dead rubber, bar miracles were away to sarries.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Key players should be rested for the Bath game as it isn't strictly speaking, a must win game, because to finish second, Wasps and Exeter need to slip up - and Wasps won't lose to Irish.
Semper in excretia
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Leicester City won't win the Premier League either.... Oh hang on!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

If (and it almost certainly will be) the Semi will be at Allianz Park, what size allocation will Tigers get and how will they be allocated to the fans? I'm seriously hoping for better organisation than the ECC method!
Does anyone think Sorries will move the semi to Twickers or Wem-ber-ley?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

L Smith wrote:.
Why not, although it's probably much too short a notice to organise now.
Semper in excretia
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote:
DickyP wrote:Forget the play-offs for the moment: do you really think the management and players don't remember last season's results at the Rec. No way are they going to send out a side to whom that could happen again. More likely to be looking for revenge!!
Sometimes the best revenge is to smile and move on. Barf are not going to finish higher than 9th whilst we can win the title and that will be the only thing in RC's and AM's thoughts! :smt002
:smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If you rest players now they will have 3 weeks off, during that time just training will send them stale and bored, players need to play, even 2 weeks off is not good for them, let them loose on Bath and keep the momentum going! Come on Tigers! :smt038
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ellis9 wrote:Leicester City won't win the Premier League either.... Oh hang on!
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The best chance we have of avoiding going to the Allianz is Quins beating Exeter at the Stoop. Quins, don't forget, are fighting for a Champions Cup spot.

Should that happen, we need a bonus point win over Bath. Weirder things have happened. That would then mean we go to the Ricoh.

But I'm expecting our semi final will be at Allianz Park.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

L Smith wrote:If (and it almost certainly will be) the Semi will be at Allianz Park, what size allocation will Tigers get and how will they be allocated to the fans? I'm seriously hoping for better organisation than the ECC method!
I actually had this discussion with someone at the weekend.

Do Saracens go for the money - elect to play the fixture at Wembley or similar, or do they elect to play at Allianz on the plastic pitch (gives them a big advantage over opponents).

Given that Wembley or similar are probably too short notice, and that Saracens are very comfortable on their home pitch, you can be fairly sure that's where it'll be played.

Saracens will have been fighting on 2 fronts in the run-up, which may dictate which competition they prioritise (if at all).

Can't see past a home win (regardless of who's visiting).
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.