Play offs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Play offs

Post by Robespierre »

Am I right in thinking that in the play-offs the first placed side plays the fourth at home and the second plays the third?
If so, then Tigers will have the pleasure of going to Saracens.
In that case, we'll probably play Exeter in the final :smt002
Semper in excretia
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Play offs

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Robespierre wrote:Am I right in thinking that in the play-offs the first placed side plays the fourth at home and the second plays the third?
If so, then Tigers will have the pleasure of going to Saracens.
In that case, we'll probably play Exeter in the final :smt002
Correct on all counts :smt002
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The first part is correct however, Tigers could still finish 2nd.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

To finish 2nd, Wasps would have to lose at home to Irish with no bp and Chiefs to lose at Quins with no bp - unlikely, in my opinion.
In all probability, we're going to have to beat Sarries sometime, so why not in the semis? :smt001

Do you think that Tigers will rest several players next week at Bath or go for the second spot hoping that Wasps and Exeter slip up?
I'd be inclined to rest the key players.
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Robespierre wrote:To finish 2nd, Wasps would have to lose at home to Irish with no bp and Chiefs to lose at Quins with no bp - unlikely, in my opinion.
In all probability, we're going to have to beat Sarries sometime, so why not in the semis? :smt001

Do you think that Tigers will rest several players next week at Bath or go for the second spot hoping that Wasps and Exeter slip up?
It's unlikely Wasps will slip up against the Not-nots; the issue is whether Cockerill et al think Exeter might get nothing against Quins. If they drew a blank and we got 5 against Bath, we'd go 3rd and have a semi away at the Ricoh. Long shot...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

strawclearer wrote:..
It's unlikely Wasps will slip up against the Not-nots; the issue is whether Cockerill et al think Exeter might get nothing against Quins. If they drew a blank and we got 5 against Bath, we'd go 3rd and have a semi away at the Ricoh. Long shot...[/quote]

I agree. A very long shot!
Semper in excretia
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Robespierre wrote:To finish 2nd, Wasps would have to lose at home to Irish with no bp and Chiefs to lose at Quins with no bp - unlikely, in my opinion.

Not quite right but I agree, most likely.

For us to finish 2nd, Wasps just have to lose - they can even get 2 bonus points = 69pts. Chiefs lose at Quins with no bonus points = 69pts. We win with a bonus pt and we have 69pts and would be 2nd as we will have won 15 and the others 14. Number of wins is the first tie breaker.
Hehehehehehehehe
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

trendylfj wrote:.
Not quite right but I agree, most likely.

For us to finish 2nd, Wasps just have to lose - they can even get 2 bonus points = 69pts. Chiefs lose at Quins with no bonus points = 69pts. We win with a bonus pt and we have 69pts and would be 2nd as we will have won 15 and the others 14. Number of wins is the first tie breaker.[/quote]

Thanks for that!
So to win at Bath with a bp, we need to send a full strength side.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Looking at the table again, Tigers, Wasps and Exeter have identical win/lose records but Tigers must be rueing the lack of bonus points won.
Semper in excretia
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I think the best chance we have to avoid playing Sarries on the plastic pitch will be for Worcester to beat them next week. If they have an eye on Europe it is possible. I see little point in risky any player who is not 100%, making 3rd and then facing Sarries away anyway. Play a team to win at Bath, but not at all costs.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Downsouth wrote:I think the best chance we have to avoid playing Sarries on the plastic pitch will be for Worcester to beat them next week. If they have an eye on Europe it is possible. I see little point in risky any player who is not 100%, making 3rd and then facing Sarries away anyway. Play a team to win at Bath, but not at all costs.
Sarries are 6 points clear so they'll finish top whatever Worcester might do.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Its KO rugby from now on so, IMO I would rest as many as needed given the recent 'flat' performances. Sarries are beatable so why not at their gaff?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TigerCam wrote:Its KO rugby from now on so, IMO I would rest as many as needed given the recent 'flat' performances. Sarries are beatable so why not at their gaff?
:smt023
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Forget the play-offs for the moment: do you really think the management and players don't remember last season's results at the Rec. No way are they going to send out a side to whom that could happen again. More likely to be looking for revenge!!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

DickyP wrote:Forget the play-offs for the moment: do you really think the management and players don't remember last season's results at the Rec. No way are they going to send out a side to whom that could happen again. More likely to be looking for revenge!!
Sometimes the best revenge is to smile and move on. Barf are not going to finish higher than 9th whilst we can win the title and that will be the only thing in RC's and AM's thoughts! :smt002