Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: 12 in a row

Post by Roly »

MurphysLaw wrote:
Roly wrote:
CJ wrote:Agreed, Dicky p. Not that long ago, we played London Irish in the final. Now where are they. Relegated. Where are we? Stil up there.
A magnificent achievement.
London Irish don't have and never had the financial or logistical tools to compete with the top 4 or 6 teams in the AP. Heritage and previous success also plays a huge part in attracting good players, a good base of supporters decent coaches (although you could have fooled me at times over the last few years). Actually, LI's home support was right up there in the top attendances in the AP, although it has dropped off significantly this season.....

You can't compare the two teams, there is a gulf between them in terms of clout both on and off the pitch.

Actually, since they were taken over by a consortium of London-based Irish businessmen, Irish are now well funded, and have great facilities at Hazelwood.
I think they will come back stronger.

The point is, teams come and go, and in that context, Tigers record is second to none.
And comparing them to London Irish is a poor comparison.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:
MurphysLaw wrote:
Roly wrote:
CJ
Agreed, Dicky p. Not that long ago, we played London Irish in the final. Now where are they. Relegated. Where are we? Stil up there.
A magnificent achievement.

London Irish don't have and never had the financial or logistical tools to compete with the top 4 or 6 teams in the AP. Heritage and previous success also plays a huge part in attracting good players, a good base of supporters decent coaches (although you could have fooled me at times over the last few years). Actually, LI's home support was right up there in the top attendances in the AP, although it has dropped off significantly this season.....

You can't compare the two teams, there is a gulf between them in terms of clout both on and off the pitch.

Actually, since they were taken over by a consortium of London-based Irish businessmen, Irish are now well funded, and have great facilities at Hazelwood.
I think they will come back stronger.

The point is, teams come and go, and in that context, Tigers record is second to none.
And comparing them to London Irish is a poor comparison.
Nitpicking again Roly. So how about comparisons with Saints or Quins? Both have won the Premiership and both have been relegated. Or does the fact that they have been relegated make it a poor comparison? Or Gloucester, or Bath, or Wasps?
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I wasn't comparing the record with Irish; I was comparing it with all English clubs.
Just pointed out, contrary to your point, Irish are pretty well set off the field.
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

MurphysLaw wrote:Achieved at a time when all teams have access to more funds, and have increasingly competitive squads - well done Tigers.
It also maintains the proud record of being the only Prem club to always qualify for the top European competition. :smt023
At time when all teams have access to more funds?? Im sure Tigers will have been spending the entire wage cap
Come on you tigers!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="champanzie"][quote="MurphysLaw"]Achieved at a time when all teams have access to more funds, and have increasingly competitive squads - well done Tigers.
It also maintains the proud record of being the only Prem club to always qualify for the top European competition. :smt023[/quote]

At time when all teams have access to more funds?? Im sure Tigers will have been spending the entire wage cap[/quote]

Yes, they probably have - but so probably have several others.
Those that don't, still have budgets large enough to make the league increasingly, competitive. In this respect the Agreements to share out RFU payments and TV monies has worked.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

"Nitpicking again Roly. So how about comparisons with Saints or Quins? Both have won the Premiership and both have been relegated. Or does the fact that they have been relegated make it a poor comparison? Or Gloucester, or Bath, or Wasps"

Irrelevant.

The comparison here was made between LI and Tigers.

A poor comparison.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:"Nitpicking again Roly. So how about comparisons with Saints or Quins? Both have won the Premiership and both have been relegated. Or does the fact that they have been relegated make it a poor comparison? Or Gloucester, or Bath, or Wasps"

Irrelevant.

A poor comparison.
Not the best, I'll give you, but they were good enough to get to the final, so not entirely irrelevant.

And it doesn't take away from DickyP's original post (which is why I accused you of nitpicking), other teams have fluctuated in the same period. I think that during our 12 in a row (i.e. when professional rugby had bedded in), no other Premiership team has qualified for the HEC/Champions Cup in every one of those seasons, so they have all finished in the bottom half of the table at some point.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Roly wrote:"Nitpicking again Roly. So how about comparisons with Saints or Quins? Both have won the Premiership and both have been relegated. Or does the fact that they have been relegated make it a poor comparison? Or Gloucester, or Bath, or Wasps"

Irrelevant.

A poor comparison.
Not the best, I'll give you, but they were good enough to get to the final, so not entirely irrelevant.

And it doesn't take away from DickyP's original post (which is why I accused you of nitpicking), other teams have fluctuated in the same period. I think that during our 12 in a row (i.e. when professional rugby had bedded in), no other Premiership team has qualified for the HEC/Champions Cup in every one of those seasons, so they have all finished in the bottom half of the table at some point.
Okay, i'll agree with that.