Next weekend

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Next weekend

Post by Noddy555 »

Strawclearer if available and fit the team I suggested should do the job against Worcester and if Matt Smith is unfit why not try the partnership of young George Catchpole with Peter Betham, after all we will probably have to field this partnership next season when our regulars are either injured or on International duty.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote:Strawclearer if available and fit the team I suggested should do the job against Worcester and if Matt Smith is unfit why not try the partnership of young George Catchpole with Peter Betham, after all we will probably have to field this partnership next season when our regulars are either injured or on International duty.
Damn - I read that as "Strawclearer if available and fit. The team I suggested should do the job .... etc etc"

I am available although my 2 year old grandson may need to be looked after by those on the bench! Fit? Well - not bad for my age but a cardiologist on standby would be appreciated. As to my rugby style (I use the term loosely), I've reached the age where my brain went from "we probably shouldn't do that" to "what the hell, let's see what happens" - so it should be exciting! Finally, I shall require to be substituted at 3 minutes...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Well Strawclearer as your name suggests you are fit for something on a rugby ground though I don't think we will have any snow before Saturday, mind you we did get a ton of hail at our place last night so you never know. But I shouldn't bring your boots all that extra weight and a bale of hay.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

fortysix wrote:Considering Fonua is approximately the same weight as Vunipola, the former has all the acceleration of a Council Waste Lorry whilst the latter has the dynamic acceleration of a sports car. Why ??

Admittedly YBY was so slow Fonua was on the back foot most of the time, but he needs heavy weights attached to him and get Margo Wells to do sprint training with him. For all the off season.

As a Nutritionist , also maybe his diet needs looking at ?
He's been here 9 months now if he hasn't lost weight and improved his speed and skills in that time I would argue that it's not going to happen any time soon. He makes Jordan Crane look fast.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

strawclearer wrote: I am available although my 2 year old grandson may need to be looked after by those on the bench! Fit? Well - not bad for my age but a cardiologist on standby would be appreciated. As to my rugby style (I use the term loosely), I've reached the age where my brain went from "we probably shouldn't do that" to "what the hell, let's see what happens" - so it should be exciting! Finally, I shall require to be substituted at 3 minutes...
I think you mean resuscitated don't you?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

G.K wrote: He's been here 9 months now if he hasn't lost weight and improved his speed and skills in that time I would argue that it's not going to happen any time soon. He makes Jordan Crane look fast.
Have you ever tried to lose as much weight as Fonua already has AND stay fit and strong? My guess is that the new slimmed down Fonua will be running like a thoroughbred after the coming pre-season. :smt002
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Grimlish wrote:
G.K wrote: He's been here 9 months now if he hasn't lost weight and improved his speed and skills in that time I would argue that it's not going to happen any time soon. He makes Jordan Crane look fast.
Have you ever tried to lose as much weight as Fonua already has AND stay fit and strong? My guess is that the new slimmed down Fonua will be running like a thoroughbred after the coming pre-season. :smt002
No need to as I never got that fat in the first place (and I'm not a professional sportsman). Didn't he do pre-season last year?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

G.K wrote:
strawclearer wrote: I am available although my 2 year old grandson may need to be looked after by those on the bench! Fit? Well - not bad for my age but a cardiologist on standby would be appreciated. As to my rugby style (I use the term loosely), I've reached the age where my brain went from "we probably shouldn't do that" to "what the hell, let's see what happens" - so it should be exciting! Finally, I shall require to be substituted at 3 minutes...
I think you mean resuscitated don't you?
I do...and I'm now thinking the '3 minutes' was a bit optimistic too!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

G.K wrote:
Grimlish wrote:
No need to as I never got that fat in the first place (and I'm not a professional sportsman). Didn't he do pre-season last year?
Followed by a substantial lay-off....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Grimlish wrote:
I think I'm right in saying he's lost about 3 stones since joining - down from 23½st. to 20½st. - largely down to the efforts of Adam Fowler in the strength and conditioning team. (Billy V is around 20st. and about 4" shorter.)

At the age of 28, this coming pre-season is critical because 2016/17 will probably be his best and last chance to secure the No. 8 spot. (That's unless we acquire someone like Ben Morgan this time around or young Beaumont in 12 months!)
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm not going to volunteer for selection next weekend as im not quite fit, I had a go at the big boot in the Fanzone at Notts, we were in pairs, I said to my mate you take the furthest one, he's 20 years younger than me, up goes the 2 balls, he should have been penalised for crossing, he caught my ball and I got nowhere near the far one, glad I hung up my boots 45 yrs ago! :smt005
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

strawclearer wrote:
Grimlish wrote:
I think I'm right in saying he's lost about 3 stones since joining - down from 23½st. to 20½st. - largely down to the efforts of Adam Fowler in the strength and conditioning team. (Billy V is around 20st. and about 4" shorter.)

At the age of 28, this coming pre-season is critical because 2016/17 will probably be his best and last chance to secure the No. 8 spot. (That's unless we acquire someone like Ben Morgan this time around or young Beaumont in 12 months!)
According to the squad page his birthday is 26 May 1986, I'm not convinced he will improve any more.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Full strength every week now.
I understand the view on this... but I'd play it a bit different.

Win against Worcester and we get 4th so Saracens away in the SF (almost certainly). I know we can pass Exeter if they stumble, but given Saracens now have to travel and play Racing week before the SF I'd prefer to get them now in the SF. No knowing how much the final will take out of them and how many injuries they might pick-up whereas Wasps, Exeter and Tigers will have a free weekend.

I guess the counter-argument is Saracens could win and be buoyant for the SF, but I think quiet a few of our boys need a rest. Cole, Marcos, Barrow, Kitch, etc, etc must be tired out. So a chance to rest a few over the next couple of weeks and also get the likes of O'Connor and Owen (assuming FB is crocked) back up to speed. I'd also like to see Veianu at 15 and Thompstone on the wing.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

drc_007 wrote:
strawclearer wrote: I think I'm right in saying he's lost about 3 stones since joining - down from 23½st. to 20½st. - largely down to the efforts of Adam Fowler in the strength and conditioning team. (Billy V is around 20st. and about 4" shorter.)

According to the squad page his birthday is 26 May 1986, I'm not convinced he will improve any more.
You're right. I'm afraid I'm not that good with ages - I have to hit 'page down' to find my birth year in a drop down menu!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Noddy555 wrote:Sorry Ourla mate Fonua has turned out to be an expensive mistake, he drops the ball and knocks on far too frequently for a supposed world class No.8. He would probably do better at a championship club for a couple of seasons until he rebuilds his confidence, no way do I class him as a premiership player.
Is that based on one performance last weekend? He was pretty good the week before. Maybe a little credit should be given to the Racing defence and acknowledgement of the average ball he was getting.