Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: A bit of perspective

Post by ourla »

Crowson in the Merc...
In eight visits to the Racing 22, they scored just one try. But Leicester's defeat was not down to a problem with tactics or game plan, it was down to execution. Tigers bombed so many good positions with bad handling but their shape in attack, running lines and the things they were trying to do were light years away from where they were last year
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leice ... story.html
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

+1 :smt023
beech

Post by beech »

We lost by 3 points which would have been a win if we hadn't given away 2 silly penalties and had another given against us at a scrum which was very doubtful. We made many other errors but these were crucial.
tf22
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

beech wrote:We lost by 3 points which would have been a win if we hadn't given away 2 silly penalties and had another given against us at a scrum which was very doubtful. We made many other errors but these were crucial.
You mean the error that saw Dan Cole stand idly at the side of a ruck, which he could easily have contested, and watch Joe R pick up the ball and run straight past him to score what turned out to be a 7 point try, wasn't crucial in a 3 point loss?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I was disappointed by the way we played but considering that they have bought many
of the world's best players in, we were always going to be up against it.

It felt a bit like we did after the final loss to Brive in Cardiff a few years ago.
That was a game we could and should have won and were left flat and unhappy.
But as the journo's point out, it could be the spur to success we need.

I am not unhappy with the progress we have made this season. Mauger has been
the catalyst for much of this. The problem area, unusual for Tigers, is the pack.
A curate's egg, good in parts but nowhere near dynamic enough.
We certainly need some "Moody" type chasers and much more nouse on the edges.

Finally a word or two about Owens. I have never liked this little bar-steward and if you
look back at his record, he certainly has a chip on his shoulders about Tigers.
I thought he was pretty dreadful when I was at the match, the TV coverage later
proved just how much he missed and how one sided he was.
Don't be fooled by his pulling back their try, his bias is effected in more
subtle ways. I think it was our friend 4071 who had a detailed list of his "bias". going back a few years.

We still have a chance for the Title if we learn the lessons.
Here's hoping (sipping Remy) we do.
A life long Tiger
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Smudge wrote:I was disappointed by the way we played but considering that they have bought many
of the world's best players in, we were always going to be up against it.

It felt a bit like we did after the final loss to Brive in Cardiff a few years ago.
That was a game we could and should have won and were left flat and unhappy.
But as the journo's point out, it could be the spur to success we need.

I am not unhappy with the progress we have made this season. Mauger has been
the catalyst for much of this. The problem area, unusual for Tigers, is the pack.
A curate's egg, good in parts but nowhere near dynamic enough.
We certainly need some "Moody" type chasers and much more nouse on the edges.

Finally a word or two about Owens. I have never liked this little bar-steward and if you
look back at his record, he certainly has a chip on his shoulders about Tigers.
I thought he was pretty dreadful when I was at the match, the TV coverage later
proved just how much he missed and how one sided he was.
Don't be fooled by his pulling back their try, his bias is effected in more
subtle ways. I think it was our friend 4071 who had a detailed list of his "bias". going back a few years.

We still have a chance for the Title if we learn the lessons.
Here's hoping (sipping Remy) we do.
Agreed on all but am in two minds about Owens. He usedto be the epitome of consistency and fairness, and I never really thought he had a bias against Tigers.

These days, it seems that although he's one of the best in the sense that he communicates well with the players and appears fair to both teams (I thought he was Sunday actually), it is my perception that it very much depends on what side of the bed he gets out of as to what his 'penalty of the day' will be.

I think him and Barnes are still the best available in the AP, it could have been worse - Garner?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Crowson in the Merc...

Quote:

In eight visits to the Racing 22, they scored just one try. But Leicester's defeat was not down to a problem with tactics or game plan, it was down to execution. Tigers bombed so many good positions with bad handling but their shape in attack, running lines and the things they were trying to do were light years away from where they were last year
So what of the breakdown troubles and turnovers conceded!
Could the tactics or gameplan have contributed to problems at the breakdown, or was it incorrect selctions?
How come Racing also droppped so much ball and still won?
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Crowson in the Merc...

Quote:

Could the tactics or gameplan have contributed to problems at the breakdown, or was it incorrect selctions?
At best the tactics were questionable. The game-plan and execution were completely wrong. The defence was rubbish, it has been all season on balance.
insearchofheros

Post by insearchofheros »

Roly wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:
Crowson in the Merc...

Quote:

At best the tactics were questionable. The game-plan and execution were completely wrong. The defence was rubbish, it has been all season on balance.
Agreed, we were poor. I really hate saying this, but our props just don't seem to be at the races anymore. Whether its the legs or the mind that's had enough this season, I'm not sure, I'm hoping that Dan and Marcos come back next season and make me eat my words, but I think we have got to look at the scrum and the front row in particular for next season.

I have spent a bit of time down the training ground the past few weeks and I like the look of this lad Genge, got a bit of fire in his guts, reminds me of one Mr White.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Quote:

Crowson in the Merc...

Quote:

Agreed, we were poor. I really hate saying this, but our props just don't seem to be at the races anymore. Whether its the legs or the mind that's had enough this season, I'm not sure, I'm hoping that Dan and Marcos come back next season and make me eat my words, but I think we have got to look at the scrum and the front row in particular for next season.

I have spent a bit of time down the training ground the past few weeks and I like the look of this lad Genge, got a bit of fire in his guts, reminds me of one Mr White.
RC just gets set in ways and once set is unmovable and with it becomes predictable.
I've been hoping to see a bit more of Genge and his youthful energy, perhaps alongside Bateman and Cole with a bench of Ayerza, Ghiraldini and Mulipola, what a strong unit that would be IMO and could've blew Racing away IMO but instead all we had was a poncey little secondary shove, opportunity missed.
I knew little about Racing but after seeing Toulon shove them around I knew they were there for the taking at the scrum.
Also it would've left the option of a more moblie backrow of Croft, McCaffery and Pearce or someone else as wide support, less turnover ball conceded as a result perhaps, more lineout options against the impressive Charteris?
I just knew he would play Thacker against French power and what do you know he gets bumped off and misses tackles in the tight.
The squad has not been used very well once again and RC often bites his nose off to spite his face IMO.
Once he has a favourite no-one else gets a look in IMO.
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

We can win games of this magnitude because we believe that we can. We would have won on Sunday with only half the ambition and four times the improvement in quality of execution (basic skills). Why professionals of such standing have to be coached inecessantly in basic handling skills is frankly beyond me. :smt022
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
insearchofheros

Post by insearchofheros »

Phil B wrote:We can win games of this magnitude because we believe that we can. We would have won on Sunday with only half the ambition and four times the improvement in quality of execution (basic skills). Why professionals of such standing have to be coached inecessantly in basic handling skills is frankly beyond me. :smt022
The words of my old PE teacher came back to me this weekend..... " you have to pass the ball backwards or flat, to say, level then its pass...catch...pass...catch...pass...catch score, simple game this boys... Don't make it complicated" wise old coach my PE teacher !
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Crowson in the Merc...

Quote:

The turnovers were from a combination of dropped balls and defensive pressure from Racing.

As stated, tactics and gameplan were not an issue, execution was the issue.

Racing won by 3. They played a more conservative game - kicking more and passing less. Heavily reliant on their defence. It's called sport. There is not always a right or wrong. You can get your tactics wrong and it doesn't matter how you execute, or you can get your tactics right but execute poorly. One teams tactics may differ from the other through choice, personnel, the opposition - it's not a black and white concept. Racing's tactics worked for them on the day, their defence held true until the 78th minute. But part of that was down to our attacking execution. As Crowson said, it wasn't as if we didn't look dangerous or never got near their line. We attacked well but just failed on final execution.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:
Crowson in the Merc...

Quote:

If the game plan was wrong the execution would be irrelevant. I disagree with you that the game plan was the issue. And I disagree our defence was rubbish.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Phil B wrote:We can win games of this magnitude because we believe that we can. We would have won on Sunday with only half the ambition and four times the improvement in quality of execution (basic skills). Why professionals of such standing have to be coached inecessantly in basic handling skills is frankly beyond me. :smt022
1) They are not machines.

2) It may have had something to do with the opposition.