A bit of perspective

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: A bit of perspective

Post by fleabane »

Many of the Tigers players have not played at this level before, and it showed. Too eager to make progress, they rushed going into contact, holding on, knocking on, rushing passes. The teams of old had to learn and gained the reputation for keeping going and closing out games when they had learned and had experience of their strategies. The current squad have to learn and embed what they learn. We are still at the start of a new era.

That said, I agree with those who have been critical of the scrum, and have posted about it on another thread, and also of a lack of leadership from the most experienced players. Who speaks to Cole and Ayerza when the scrum is penalised, or to Dom Barrow when the penalties creep up? Is it now all left to the water boy? Who should be putting a rocket up the you-know-where of YBY when his delivery is so slow the backs have to take the ball standing still at the same time as they get hit?

I am pleased at our change of tactics, but a lot of other things have to happen to make it all work and it will take another season before we see the full results.
Valhalla I am coming!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Sorry, that record is broken.
Waldrom was playing pants, Matera injured, Mafi had lots of personal issues and an injury AIR. Gibson got a fair bit of time, Mele didn't get back after having a couple of mares, Bristow never figured much (to my surprise), Ghiraldini was 'injured'.
This leaves us with Barbieri (was moving on very early in season AIR), Scully went of his own accord for a three year, not a one year contract; Pearce I am mystified about, Bell got a much better offer.
Once upon a time I had some inside information which indicated that favouritism, as with potty mouth, left to a large extent with MOC. None of this is inconsistent with the 'get the shirt and retain it, nor with the idea to have a core of players who will be here next year well versed in AM's style.
Don't get me wrong jgriffin, the fact that they are gone or going is not a major issue for me, it happens,
Just an observation of recent seasons that once the annual merry-go-round of negotiations, rumours and announcements begin that things change, selection seems to change, it becomes rigid where before there was squad flexibility.
Other clubs who are used to losing players they might prefer to keep are well versed in these type of events and see one season through at a time and then move on quickly.
We are losing a few once again and can't afford to not play some of them, at the same time can we afford to play all of them, probably not!
I still would've had Pearce playing on Sunday, and Genge included if registered.
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Grimlish wrote:
Roly wrote:
beech wrote:We lost by 3 points which would have been a win if we hadn't given away 2 silly penalties and had another given against us at a scrum which was very doubtful. We made many other errors but these were crucial.
You mean the error that saw Dan Cole stand idly at the side of a ruck, which he could easily have contested, and watch Joe R pick up the ball and run straight past him to score what turned out to be a 7 point try, wasn't crucial in a 3 point loss?
If you are referring to the one and only Racing try then it wasn't Dan Cole who failed to be on guard duty but a combination of Fitz and Kitch, arguably Barrow too. And it wasn't Joe R who scored from a subsequent (well-guarded) ruck. But don't let the facts get in way, now will you?
Joe R made the break that set up the try. Barrow left the gate open for Joe R to stroll through Dan Cole who was well paced to defend the break. But so what, that was one of many unforced mistakes, including at least 29 turnovers many of those unforced. Now don't let an endless stream of excuses for a pants performance on Tigers' behalf get in the way now will you?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

I have to say that the one thing that keeps coming to mind about the Racing match (and several other games this season) is the number of penalties that are regularly given away by Dom Barrow. I am starting to think that he is a "points machine" - but for the opposition! :smt010

As I recall he gave away two penalties that Racing scored from, with the last one - where he was lying right in front of the ref holding on in the ruck - absolutely criminal.

In the Saints match he would have been Yellow-carded if Saints had not scored one of their tries following the ref saying that someone from Tigers would spend 10 minutes in the bin if there were any more penalties near the line. Straightaway he falls foul when they have a rolling maul.

Also, he often seems to be penalised for "not rolling away" (quick enough).

Now please do not get me wrong - I think that Dom has been one of the successes of Tigers' season, and I think that he will become a mainstay of the pack. BUT BUT BUT why cannot he recognise situations where he will give away a penalty? Is he too daft!? Are the coaches taking him to one side and telling him to stop doing these things? If so, then it is not working!

So one of the key ways for Tigers to improve is to take Dom to task about improving his discipline. If he does this then I think he can go all the way to international honours.
Neil Back is the Greatest!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Agreed, but he is 23 and a hothead. The club will persevere with him and have an international come the next WC IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Agreed. Dom has a big heart and a great engine.
Fine tuning and the occasional kick up the kyber will do him the world of good.

At the video run through he will have got a lot of stick from the rest of the team.
You have to trust that he learns by it.
A life long Tiger
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote:Agreed, but he is 23 and a hothead. The club will persevere with him and have an international come the next WC IMO.
I hope you're right and these things can change so quickly. Only a short while ago, no-one could see much beyond Launchbury and Lawes for England. Now the same is said for Itoje and Kruis for both national and Lions honours.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Roly wrote:Joe R made the break that set up the try. Barrow left the gate open for Joe R to stroll through Dan Cole who was well paced to defend the break. But so what, that was one of many unforced mistakes, including at least 29 turnovers many of those unforced. Now don't let an endless stream of excuses for a pants performance on Tigers' behalf get in the way now will you?
Cole was actually some way from the ruck when Rococoko picked up and certainly wasn't run through, unless you think he should have the pace to catch an AB wing! He had stepped out to cover the prop, I think Barrow was on his inside but also stepped out leaving the centre undefended. Thacker was out of position so Tigers were short of numbers. Not really the fault of Cole - he had his zone covered. You could say that Barrow should have been aware, stayed in and called Cole in closer, except in real time that all happened happened in about 3 seconds. Quite a good player, that Rokocoko bloke.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

A friend of mine early season said that the final would be between Sarries and Racing, I wish I'd believed him and placed a bet. Unfortunately I thought the final would be between Sarries and Toulon and that Sarries would exact revenge for their defeat in the final a couple of years ago.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

kend wrote:
Roly wrote:Joe R made the break that set up the try. Barrow left the gate open for Joe R to stroll through Dan Cole who was well paced to defend the break. But so what, that was one of many unforced mistakes, including at least 29 turnovers many of those unforced. Now don't let an endless stream of excuses for a pants performance on Tigers' behalf get in the way now will you?
Cole was actually some way from the ruck when Rococoko picked up and certainly wasn't run through, unless you think he should have the pace to catch an AB wing! He had stepped out to cover the prop, I think Barrow was on his inside but also stepped out leaving the centre undefended. Thacker was out of position so Tigers were short of numbers. Not really the fault of Cole - he had his zone covered. You could say that Barrow should have been aware, stayed in and called Cole in closer, except in real time that all happened happened in about 3 seconds. Quite a good player, that Rokocoko bloke.
True, but to be fair to him, he didn't need to exhibit world class quality to skip through that defence...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.