The AP run-in

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LittleBigG

Re: The AP run-in

Post by LittleBigG »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
trendylfj wrote:Can now see us catching and passing Exeter but would I prefer to go to wasps or Sarries? Don't know!!!
Wasps - it's grass, closer and they actually have a stadium bit enough for Premiership rugby.
Wasps definitely. Although they scored a hatful of tries against Worcester they also conceded SIX! (Worcester only got one conversion!)
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I'd rather play Wasps at the Ricoh than Sarries at the Allianz.
Sarries will have Jamie George back from injury for the play offs, when he came on against us earlier in the season was when they started to seriously blitz our scrum.
Sarries also rested Itoje yesterday so they have some firepower to return but if I recall correctly that Quins scrum was also a handful at WR earlier in the season, I'm glad they are out of the equation, a dangerous side.
I can't see Tigers overtaking Exeter for third place but anything is possible, they are six points ahead and a bigger points difference but Wasps to play at home and Quins away are tough matches.
I thought Exeter looked tired and were refereed out of their game with Gloucs on Friday evening by the crowd and they have a rest next weekend whilst Wasps have a battle with Sarries in Europe.
Cheery chappy
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

trendylfj wrote:Can now see us catching and passing Exeter but would I prefer to go to wasps or Sarries? Don't know!!!
I can't, I can see no plausible (in my mind anyway) combination of results that don't result in us going to Sarries.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Stu_F wrote:
I can't, I can see no plausible (in my mind anyway) combination of results that don't result in us going to Sarries.
I agree - Sarries away almost nailed on top. It is just possible we will go to Bath needing a win, if Sale do the double over Barf, and beat Glaws at home, but unlikely. (I am assuming home Win against Worcester). However even if we are NOT in the European final and assuming a win is not a must, I would rest players for Barf fixture anyway even if it means missing out on 3rd place.

On current form I would just as happy with a fading Sarries away as Wasps... and they are fading.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Stu_F wrote:
No plausible combination of results???????

Can't you see the "plausibility" of Exeter losing to Wasps even though they are at home and having a difficulty away trip to Quins and losing that as well? I can - I like Exeter but they are not on the top of their game at present and looked tired when they lost at Glaws.

I can see us beating Worcs and getting a 5 pointer and then it would be all on how we do at Bath as to 3rd or 4th.

Plausible but could be a tad unlikely.
Hehehehehehehehe
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

trendylfj wrote:
Stu_F wrote:
No plausible combination of results???????

Can't you see the "plausibility" of Exeter losing to Wasps even though they are at home and having a difficulty away trip to Quins and losing that as well? I can - I like Exeter but they are not on the top of their game at present and looked tired when they lost at Glaws.

I can see us beating Worcs and getting a 5 pointer and then it would be all on how we do at Bath as to 3rd or 4th.

Plausible but could be a tad unlikely.
OK I concede I could have chosen a different word to "plausible" but I emphasise this is my opinion and I respect your right to disagree with me I think Exeter got the down side of weather and referee on Friday, I can't see them losing to Harlequins who,imo, opinion will have lost interest by then
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Sale are 8 behind with a game in hand. We need Bath to beat them at the Rec. IMO they are a threat if they win at Bath.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

jgriffin wrote:Sale are 8 behind with a game in hand. We need Bath to beat them at the Rec. IMO they are a threat if they win at Bath.
Agree. We need a BP win against Worcester. If we take nothing from Bath game that leaves Sale needing 3 wins including 2 BP wins (Bath away, Glaws home and Newcastle away). Probably just beyond them but I would prefer to go to Bath knowing 4th secure.

I suspect Saints and Quins are sweating more on top 6 finish. I think one won't make it.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Slightly ironic that we are hoping Bath do us a favour, but you get some odd allegiances at this stage in the season. Sale are a 'real threat' with a possible 66 points. You'd like to think they won't get 5 at Bath, but a win still puts them in line for 65. No reason why they couldn't get TBP wins at home to Gloucester and away to Newcastle.

I agree we need 5 points v Worcester, which will mean a TBP or LBP would be enough at Bath to get us onto 65 and Sale have less wins so that will be enough.

The interesting element to all this is that if we win on Sunday, Bath will be our game before the Euro Final and we'd want to be resting players for that IMHO.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Nearly there now bring on Worcester.
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

I think the fight for 5th and 6th is interesting and will keep Sale, Saints and Quins 'real' in the last few games.

I too think passing Exeter is within reason as they have Wasps and Quins to play. Quins have Irish and then Exeter at home. Irish could be a 5 pointer for them, so if Saints drop one at Gloucs, Quins are in Europe.

Game on folks
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Win this weekend and the priority of getting a Try Bonus point win against Worcester will be high on the list. The last game against Bath may see a resting of players if Tigers are in the EC Final.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I think there is a real possibility of Exeter losing the next two. Wasp will be a very difficult fixture (especially on the harder pitches) then away to Quins who will be playing their last game at home for Conor O'Shea.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Exeters good season does look in big danger of collapsing given those two tricky fixtures they have left.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The season is 22 games long. In Exeter's case, they are unfortunate that two tougher games come later. But we all play the same sides.

Quins may need a win on the last day to secure a Champions Cup spot.