Tigers at Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigers at Saints

Post by MrPartridge »

Surprised a thread on this hasn't been started yet... but I guess we are all still basking in the QF win :smt002

What team do people want to see at the weekend for Saints given the Racing SF comes so soon on its heels? Some interesting conundrums/possibilities: try a bigger hooker rather than HT to see if that gives us a better platform, OW or FB at 10, maybe time to rest Goneva for a week, Veianu or Tait at 15, do we start Slater, what is the best back-row combination, are there any coming back from injury to include in the 23... JDV?.. etc, etc.

Tricky selection ahead for RC and the coaches...
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers at Saints

Post by Iain »

One eye will be on the Semi Final I'm sure, but this is also a vital game. It isn't 'must win' as some are going to label it as because it's far from all over if we don't. But it's important.

Injuries permitting I don't think I'd change anything to be honest.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Biggest game of the season so far-
Northampton Stains vs Leicester Tigers
Franklin's Gardens 5.30pm - Live on BT Sport

Referee: Matt Carley (44th Premiership game).
Assistant Referees: Paul Dix & Roy Maybank. TMO: Sean Davey
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Personally I'd start with Bateman and look to give him as much time as possible, and possibly give Logo and Balmain a good 50 minutes from the start as well. I think Bateman needs to start against Racing to give us a steady set piece. Rest of the side leave as is to get the partnerships working
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Don't mind Carley, he seems to be improving every time I see him
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Gramps wrote:Personally I'd start with Bateman and look to give him as much time as possible, and possibly give Logo and Balmain a good 50 minutes from the start as well. I think Bateman needs to start against Racing to give us a steady set piece. Rest of the side leave as is to get the partnerships working
Sounds good to me, Harry has played out of his skin and must be knackered. That said, Bateman has looked very good during his cameo appearances.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerDuke

Post by TigerDuke »

I would stick with the team that played Stade, definitely our best 23 currently available.

Only possible switches could be Mulipola in for Ayerza, Slater (if fit) back in for De Chaves on bench, and Thompstone on for Tait (with Veainu moving to 15).

Keep the form going through to Racing, Saints is almost a preliminary playoff, and then rotate a bit against Worcester at home.

If it ain't broke!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Unless we are sacrificing a Prem play off place for Europe I don't see how this isn't a must win. It's not a question I would expect the staff to mention outside the dressing room and honestly I don't think it will be discussed for very long inside it. It's not the Tigers or Cockerills way. Cockerill has already stated the time for rotation is over and I would agree. I would make minimal changes to last weeks team.

If we don't win this match of course it is possible we could still make the play offs. But if we go for the win and get a BP/deny Saints a BP that will be a decent return and maybe enough. Rotate and rest players and we could easily go down 5-0.

As mentioned elsewhere if the fitness and physio guys deem say Ayerza to only be at 80% then of course you may choose to play a fresh 100% Logo. I am not saying don't make changes as you would for any game if you think it's the right thing to so. But I would be looking to win this and nail the hatch down.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

It's only by playing together that you build shared intelligence and 'teamwork' . Blend them with talent and you have what's required to win championships. It's the time to put our best team out every match.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

There really isn't a worse match we could be facing than Saints away, the week before a European Semi!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Crunch game of the season Leicester must field their strongest available team to get the win that will almost ensure a place in the play offs.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RC in the Mercury:

"We will look after the squad if we need to but we will take what we see as our best team. We will be fully loaded."

'Nuff said!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote:RC in the Mercury:

"We will look after the squad if we need to but we will take what we see as our best team. We will be fully loaded."

'Nuff said!
Exactly! Horses for courses leading to 4 points but more importantly a good performance building up for the semi. Hoping everyone stay fit, knackered yes but fit. Interesting to see how many 'clothes-lines' Lawes will put out? :smt027
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mulipola Bateman Balmain front row , Thacker has played non stop since OTY's injury, Ayerza and Cole need to be looked after too, the rest get rotated quite often anyway
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

If Slater is fit, I would start him in the 2nd row. I am no expert in the scrum but Slater won't do it any harm. The only other changes I would make would be the bench. With Fitzgerald to start at 6 and Croft able to be an emergency lock, I would have Croft and Fonua on the bench as they are more likely to be able to make an impact. Harrison also to come back in to the bench. Bateman will also be close to starting.