Thinking positive for the final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

killer938
Tiger Cub

Re: Thinking positive for the final

Post by killer938 »

In terms of hotels it really depends on where you want to be, how close you want to be to the pubs over here. The metro system is pretty good and Lyon isn't a huge city so most places are easy to get to. Bear in mind the metro stops around midnight but there are obviously taxis and walking is also an option, usually what I do.

I would probably recommend, if you can, finding somewhere in the presqu'île, the area between the two rivers, or just east of the Rhône. There are Ibis and Best Western hotels here which generally are reasonably priced, though as with most things I assume the prices will go up for that weekend. If you are staying in the presqu'île I would advise to stay north of Perrache metro, nothing seriously bad down there but the area just isn't as nice, unless you go all the way down to the confluence which is a bit out of the way. Anywhere between Hotel de Ville metro and Bellecour metro would be ideal in terms of getting to the game, finding restaurants and going to the pubs.

Warning though, I have just had a quick search on a couple of hotels in that area and they don't have any space for that weekend so I would get on it quickly.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

killer938 wrote:Yeh, to get the best deals on the Eurostar you have to book at least 3 months in advance. For anyone wishing to use it in general, you can book the direct Eurostar to Lyon/Avignon/Marseille 6 months in advance and it is very cheap.

You can currently get the Eurostar for around €200 return if you take the direct train on the Saturday morning which gets in at 13:00 but I'm not sure what time kick off will be and whether that might be a bit late.

I have done the drive once but have friends that have done it a few times and as has been said before, it's not too bad at all, especially if you can share the driving and if you are staying in a hotel here with parking then it may make the most sense.

I, on the other hand, will be popping onto the tram about 2 mins from my flat,
to get to the stadium. If we make it then this will offically be the smallest
distance I will have travelled to watch us play, just hope we make it.
Can I park my car there then can we play the "how many can we fit into a flat game?" It is an excellent one to play - Guinness book of records may be interested but heck if not we can have fun anyway and would supply the beer.
Hehehehehehehehe
killer938
Tiger Cub

Post by killer938 »

Haha, I have 4 other people who had the same idea already and unfortunately they are my family so can't really kick them out.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We stayed in a small hotel opposite the station, they were very nice owners, unfortunately cannot remember name of hotel but found it on web so worth looking up and it's just a short walk from the confluence of the rivers and old town. We drove to Clermont from there.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

How's this for a wild card?

http://www.camping-indigo.com/en/lyon-i ... 0wodbwAPYA

No tent required.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
killer938
Tiger Cub

Post by killer938 »

Didn't know that was there actually, good find. Although having to drive out there might put some people off a little. Just had a look and the public transport from there to the city takes a lot longer than the 15 mins it says on the site (45 mins - 1 hour depending on where you are in town and what time it is).
Anywhere near the main station (Part Dieu) is good, a bit further from the old town but still very walkable (about 30 mins walk), but good for getting to the game as the tram which goes to the stadium leaves from that station.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

No.6 wrote:About 1&1/2hrs from Grenoble & 2hrs from Geneva stations
Thanks for that No.6
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat