Plea to Leicester Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Plea to Leicester Tigers

Post by Will S »

You've got to wonder if the teams who are use to playing on plastic pitches get other advantages as opposed to the obvious ones. We got pushed around big time by the Saracens pack and I wonder if there is a slightly different technique for scrummaging on plastic? If you haven't got to worry about losing your footing maybe you can adopt a different body position? Teams that play on it weekly will learn these subtle differences and exploit them.

On the plus side Ashton seems less keen on performing the "Ash Splash" on plastic!!!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Will S wrote:You've got to wonder if the teams who are use to playing on plastic pitches get other advantages as opposed to the obvious ones. We got pushed around big time by the Saracens pack and I wonder if there is a slightly different technique for scrummaging on plastic? If you haven't got to worry about losing your footing maybe you can adopt a different body position? Teams that play on it weekly will learn these subtle differences and exploit them.

On the plus side Ashton seems less keen on performing the "Ash Splash" on plastic!!!
There's no doubt in my mind that this is an issue. It was clear to me at New Year that Saracens knew how to scrummage on that pitch when it was wet and we didn't. There's obviously a knack to it.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Plastic pitch like at Sarries..Hell no..

A Desso Grassmaster like at Twickers..Hell yes
http://www.dessosports.com/sports/rugby ... stadium-uk

The desso is the future :smt023
The Desso pitch is already installed at Oval park and has been for a while.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

AndyGoode wrote:English Rugby hasn't been keeping up with Southern Hemisphere rugby for one reason in my mind; The weather. They don't have to worry about slow ball because theres a river off mud you have to fish the ball out of.

Really dislike plastic pitches, really cut your knees up and dont offer much cushion, but Tigers have been preforming much better since its dried up. The two teams in the prem (to my knowledge) with plastic pitches were Sarcens who are on form and Newcastle who are struggling like mad but still had a 3 month unbeaten streak at home on the rubber crumb!
Nothing to do with the pitch, it was down to "you", Andy :smt003