Rugby Tonight - Artificial Pitches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Rugby Tonight - Artificial Pitches

Post by strawclearer »

This evening, Rugby Tonight had a feature on plastic pitches. Dr Paul Fleming from L'boro Uni showed a couple of examples of pitches similar to the ones at Sarries and Newcastle.

Disappointingly, no-one talked about the Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass which I understood we were laying in the close season.

Is it still our intention to do so and, given that it's essentially a traditional grass pitch that's artificially strengthened, will players like Ed Slater be more comfortable with it?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby Tonight - Artificial Pitches

Post by ellis9 »

Yes. It's a grass pitch still.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

strawclearer wrote:This evening, Rugby Tonight had a feature on plastic pitches. Dr Paul Fleming from L'boro Uni showed a couple of examples of pitches similar to the ones at Sarries and Newcastle.

Disappointingly, no-one talked about the Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass which I understood we were laying in the close season.

Is it still our intention to do so and, given that it's essentially a traditional grass pitch that's artificially strengthened, will players like Ed Slater be more comfortable with it?
Dr Fleming was there to promote his own product. Doubt if he would promote grass as a good alternative to---------------grass.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

strawclearer wrote:This evening, Rugby Tonight had a feature on plastic pitches. Dr Paul Fleming from L'boro Uni showed a couple of examples of pitches similar to the ones at Sarries and Newcastle.

You'll notice no difference with a desso pitch except that it won't cut up and become a nightmare to get footing on. It is fundamentally a grass pitch - did murrayfield, twickenham or the Aviva look like anything unusual at any point in this year's six nations?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

If he was promoting I'm guessing he was for plastic not agin?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Having seen the Twickenham pitch close up it is a brilliant surface..really is revolutionary..I do not like the pitches Sarries and Falcons use (although the latter has improved playing conditions up North) for me they change the game too much and having played on one they are very harsh on the knees/body and I found myself not committing like I would on grass as it was painful (like carpet burn)

I think they give the teams that have them an unfair edge as both Sarries and Falcons home records since they got them would suggest..
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

JackFlashJonny wrote:Having seen the Twickenham pitch close up it is a brilliant surface..really is revolutionary..I do not like the pitches Sarries and Falcons use (although the latter has improved playing conditions up North) for me they change the game too much and having played on one they are very harsh on the knees/body and I found myself not committing like I would on grass as it was painful (like carpet burn)

I think they give the teams that have them an unfair edge as both Sarries and Falcons home records since they got them would suggest..
:smt023 +1 Having watched the videos of the hybrid pitch being constructed and laid, it looks as close to grass as...grass! Can't wait to see our backs for next season on it!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Is the Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass a done deal then for the start of next season?
When is it to be laid - closing of this season to allow time to bed?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

wellstiger wrote:Is the Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass a done deal then for the start of next season?
Great advantage is it doesn't need a huge amount of time to bed, that's the whole point. When we talk about bedding in, it's about the root system growing and strengthening. The thing about this is the artificial root system compensates for this, so it's just a couple of months to allow it to get a bit lush and green. Echoing what was said about the Twickenham pitch, the Murrayfield pitch was laid between the end of one season and the start of the next (Edinburgh using it as a home pitch both seasons) and I had a good look at it and chat with the groundsman at a season ticket holder event and it looked lush and green by August. It'll be a belter of a surface and to all intents and purposes a grass surface.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

biffer wrote:
wellstiger wrote:Is the Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass a done deal then for the start of next season?
Great advantage is it doesn't need a huge amount of time to bed, that's the whole point. When we talk about bedding in, it's about the root system growing and strengthening. The thing about this is the artificial root system compensates for this, so it's just a couple of months to allow it to get a bit lush and green. Echoing what was said about the Twickenham pitch, the Murrayfield pitch was laid between the end of one season and the start of the next (Edinburgh using it as a home pitch both seasons) and I had a good look at it and chat with the groundsman at a season ticket holder event and it looked lush and green by August. It'll be a belter of a surface and to all intents and purposes a grass surface.
Yes has totally transformed that pitch which was absolutely awful before...hopefully it is a done deal and we are getting one..

On a similar note the thing I notice from watching Super Rugby is there is so much space as their pitches are international size..only the Wasps pitch looks anywhere near that size in the UK at club level and I really think our game would benefit from having bigger pitches..can we see this happening? I know at WR and many other grounds there isn't space and we have made our pitch much bigger this season but I think it would make a massive difference :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Yes has totally transformed that pitch which was absolutely awful before...hopefully it is a done deal and we are getting one..

On a similar note the thing I notice from watching Super Rugby is there is so much space as their pitches are international size..only the Wasps pitch looks anywhere near that size in the UK at club level and I really think our game would benefit from having bigger pitches..can we see this happening? I know at WR and many other grounds there isn't space and we have made our pitch much bigger this season but I think it would make a massive difference :smt023
With the backs we've got next season, let's knock out the first 12 rows in the Caterpillar stand to widen the pitch!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
biffer wrote:

Well, Edinburgh's pitch does, obviously...
:smt003
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Some interesting videos about the system on You tube.

Not sure how long the pitch lasts but any pitch has a limited useful life.

Seems The Foxes have one already
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

We alreday have a Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass at Oval Park, it is around 10 years olds and past its best.

The plan to install such a pitch at Welford Road is I understand delayed to next year.

The Granby Halls Car Park site is up for sale which Tigers have bid to buy it. However if it was sold to another party and it would not not be available next season.

Tigers are building a new multi story carpark behind the Crumbie starting in May.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

johns wrote:We alreday have a Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass at Oval Park, it is around 10 years olds and past its best.

The plan to install such a pitch at Welford Road is I understand delayed to next year.
Very disappointing if this is the case, particularly with Worcester reportedly going artificial. I think the only difference between what's planned at Worcester and the Sarries / Falcons pitches is that Limonta Sports use an organic compound rather than one made from tyres. So - it is more ecologically sound. I don't think there's any actual grass involved as with the Dessai offering we're apparently looking at.