Tigers v Stade Team.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Stade Team.

Post by DaveRave »

'Goneva is always going to finish from there'.

That raised a smile.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Seems Mele has missed us since moving looking at his Twitter feed.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Fantastic display. Brilliant. Great afternoon for Tigers. Am soooo on a high.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Well played Tigers. Funnily enough I didn't think we were all that great in attack in the first half despite scoring three tries! But it all came together rather marvellously after that. Also, Veainu reminds me of The Greased-Up Deaf Guy from Family Guy - no one seems capable of laying a hand on him.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wow! Just Wow.

Well played lads.......others can pick out stars but my vote is for a team MoM..........Brilliant! Yes we made mistakes but we also showed some lovely flashes of inspiration.

This Remy is tasting especially good.....and, yes I know it's early! Way too early.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Big Dai wrote:Wow! Just Wow.

Well played lads.......others can pick out stars but my vote is for a team MoM..........Brilliant! Yes we made mistakes but we also showed some lovely flashes of inspiration.

This Remy is tasting especially good.....and, yes I know it's early! Way too early.
+1 :smt023 . The mistakes nearly killed me, not good for my BP!! Not so much at the set piece as we have all seen this before with Thacker at 2, and the oppo tight-head driving in so you get an 8 on 5. Marcos did his best to neutralise this at the cost of penalties. Thacker's work in the loose was as good as ever - he should be a 7!!!. Against Racing or Toulon it won't be so easy. But the basic errors need to be sorted for next week and the ECC semi, as RC eluded to on the after-match chat. The effort all round was brill, with the back 5 really good. Congrats to Nigel Owens, brilliant, for letting the game flow and making his own decisions, I really do wish more refs played the game like him.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

A great game, Nigel was on our case all game and allowed them much greater leniency than us, a good ref none the less.
Was it just me or did he sound like he got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Excellent. 80 minutes of team effort without the 15 minutes of meandering I for one was dreading. A few mistakes that need addressing but so long as you score more than the opposition.......

Great atmosphere and good to see the two teams chatting afterwards and both doing a a'lap of honour'. Now for a small libation in celebration :smt023
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

A 41-13 win against the current Top14 champions is a highly impressive result. Some quick thinking and clinical finishing in attack and a fully committed scramble defence. Scrum a real concern, and knowing when you can ship bad ball on and when to simple take the hit. Feels like the team is coming together but still things to polish.

Still a great result and plenty for the coaches to work on.

Going to be an entertaining couple of weeks.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote:.

Enjoy it Dai!
For me, a bottle of Fronton awaits!!
Semper in excretia
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Good all round performance although the scrum was a worry as both Toulon and Racing will demolish us in the scrum.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Great effort from the lads today, yes, there were a few mistakes....I was cursing Tait and his knock ons, one of which led (indirectly) to the Stade possession for their try, but then he gassed their defence and setup another try for us almost straightaway, redeemed himself. Bear in mind that comment comes from watching live from the terrace and having not seen the match back yet, so maybe not his fault at all.
mol2 wrote:Good all round performance although the scrum was a worry as both Toulon and Racing will demolish us in the scrum.
Scrum was definitely a worry, but looked like their tightwad was doing a number, boring into Thacker quite a bit. I thought the scrum looked better once Bateman and Logo came on, bit more beef - still not completely solid though.

Stade's fans were, IMO, the best I've seen at WR in many years - notwithstanding some of the pink studded or leather headgear :smt002

I would also like to thank their drummers for playing our song too, good atmosphere on the Terrace today.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

A very good performance against a disorganised and quite frankly terrible side.
Can someone tell whether goneva was out the team due to injury all winter or whether he was being given a tactical rest for the warmer weather and firmer pitches?!
Veainu has to be the most dangerous counter attacking player in the league as well. Unbelievable footwork and pace.
Scrum needs to improve but mcaffry and o'conner got through a lot of work. Thought burns was dictating play superbly until he went off.
Tait also started off the moves that led to 2 of our scores but handling errors still evident.
All in all, we did a good job against a poor team. The crowd was superb by the way!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Will say again HOW GOOD has our recruitment been this season.
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Wow - cloud 9!

Have never known such a great result leave me with so many worries however. Just those that spring to mind right away; i) scrum was woeful (I know, not breaking news) for 2/3 the game, and with both Cole and Ayerza starting. Folk offer reasons for this, but the bottom line is the same, and Tigers will be lucky to be successful with (still) no clean scrum ball. ii) huge number of unforced errors and turnovers. Just huge. YBY was unfortunately involved in much where cohesion was somewhat lacking. His reputation may be saving him, for now. iii) Veainu. What a talent. For the love of g@d why are Tigers hiding him on the wing?! iv) Everyone's favourite ref. Ho ho ho, he lets a lot of stuff go. Yeah, until he doesn't, and penalises something petty. Can be overly laissez-fair with one side (um, not straight throw-ins, side entries etc). Am not sure this results in the required balance. V) Freddie was great today but Mauger will be having words about kicking away what was excellent turnover ball in a superb position. Ignore the fact that the execution was awful, the initial decision was just horrible. Or maybe our Freddie is just Clairvoyant, as 5 seconds later Manu crosses the whitewash!

Glad to get all that off my chest. Can now go back to luxuiorating in a fabulous win, where the commitment was always there. Good opportunism, nice finishing, and an ace home crowd.