Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Stade Team.

Post by ourla »

ellis9 wrote:Presumably he means the 2 players he has put in bold font
My eyes must be going!

The fact that they are in the official 23 on the Tigers website would suggest their ban is over. But I haven't checked.
killer938
Tiger Cub

Post by killer938 »

Am I missing something? He is listed as starting on the team posted on here
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

LE18 wrote:I really wish they would pick Bateman at the moment whilst Youngs is out, we need a solid front row in the scrum to ensure we don't go backwards. I think by picking Thaker we are having to select bulk in the 2 nd and back rows to compensate for him, which means we have to leave out our best lineout man Croft.
Don't get me wrong, I do think Thacker has great skills but at the moment I think the scrum is suffering, he spends a lot of time flying around always in the action, too often in the first receiver position and not always making his tackles due to his light weight.
I know that many of you will disagree with me, choosing to highlight his ball playing abilities but I think if he is played as a hooker, then his duties should be more concentrated in that department and not feature too prominently in and around the central defensive positions through which we have recently conceeded tries!
I think, with respect, that you're starting to creep into the realms of unreasoned bias with the above. Thacker is not a big hooker and will not dominate in the set piece like bigger hookers will, and he certainly had some issues at the start of the season (although my view is that his props were equally culpable). We haven't been on the back foot at all in the scrum though during his latest stint and his speed around the park and skills have added an extra dimension to our game.

I'm not sure if you're somehow implying that Thacker is to blame for the fact our defence is ropey at the moment? Which is a bizarre claim to make really as he's a superb chop tackler and very, very good at slowing down opposition ball. I don't recall him being at fault for any tries recently - Trinder's score, for example, was caused squarely by Williams unnecessarily drifting when a) we had numbers anyway, so he didn't need to do it and b) he obviously wouldn't have had a call from inside from Thacker (who correctly was in the guard position at the ruck) to drift across.

In summary - he's been solid in the scrum, solid in defence, and one of our standout players in attack. I'd venture it would be a travesty if he was dropped because one perceived weakness on just one facet of the game.

The rest of the team is very decent, but I would like to see Veianu at full back - tend to feel that he's wasted a bit on the wing. Possibly move Fitz to second row for Kitchener and bring in Croft, too. Pleased Freddie is starting, he's the man in form and he's got better and better as the year has gone on.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I agree. I think the last time we got badly beaten tn the scrum was Sarries, I wouldn't put that all down to Thacker. As said, his performance around the park is outstanding
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Did you see his pass to Tuilagi for the Betham try last week? It was a corker :smt023
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

RagingBull wrote:
sapajo wrote:
Bristol Tiger wrote:Btw. on full-backs/wings - anyone know what has happened to Morris?
Morris is moving on at the end of this season!
Also was out for this season.
Thank you both. Shame as I was hoping Morris would develop into our "kicking/safe" fullback, with Veainu being our Jason Robinson-esque "run it back at them" option. Sounds like we need to be looking for some depth as I'm not sure how many seasons Tait will be with us now.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

ourla wrote:Stade Français Paris:
15 Djibril Camara
14 Waisea Vuidarvuwalu
13 Geoffrey Doumayrou
12 Jonathan Danty
11 Jérémy Sinzelle
10 Morné Steyn
9 Julien Dupuy

1 Zurabi Zhvania
2 Remi Bonfils
3 Rabah Slimani
4 Hugh Pyle
5 Alexandre Flanquart
6 Jonathan Ross
7 Raphael Lakafia
8 Sergio Parisse (c)

Replacements:

16 Craig Burden
17 Dany Priso
18 Paul Alo Emile
19 Paul Gabrillagues
20 Willem Alberts
21 Julien Tomas
22 Jules Plisson
23 Hugo Bonneval
Still quite a changed side from the one they put out against Munster :-
Stade Francais: 15 Hugo Bonneval, 14 Waisea Nayacalevu, 13 Jonathan Danty, 12 Paul Williams, 11 Julien Arias, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Julien Dupuy; 1 Zak Taulafo, 2 Laurent Panis, 3 Rabah Slimani, 4 Paul Gabrillagues, 5 Pascal Papé, 6 Sekou Macalou, 7 Jonathan Ross, 8 Sergio Parisse (c).

Replacements: 16 Zurabi Zhvania, 17 Heinke Van der Merwe, 18 Paul Alo Emile, 19 Hugh Pyle, 20 Sylvain Nicolas, 21 Julien Tomas, 22 Jules Plisson, 23 Jérémy Sinzelle.
Hehehehehehehehe
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Let's not beat about the bush here. Stade are out of form, have a few players out and playing away from home. Sure we aren't 100% ourselves on the first two but we are in better shape than them and are at home. This should really be a win. Anyone checked the bookies odds/handicap?
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

ourla wrote:Let's not beat about the bush here. Stade are out of form, have a few players out and playing away from home. Sure we aren't 100% ourselves on the first two but we are in better shape than them and are at home. This should really be a win. Anyone checked the bookies odds/handicap?
I can't read odds because it looks like maths, but I was told they announce Leicester to win according to French betting websites (gambling industry much smaller here)

Wow this is gonna be great anyway, weather says cloudy with sunny spell but I have a dodgy iPhone forecast. Anyone knows better?

Can't wait to hop on that train, man, oh, man !!! :smt030
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Thacker, look I agree that he has great talent but I think in my opinion he is being a bit of a Jack of all Trades, in on everything, every where, and that puts the team out of balance, start with a solid front row and build from there, let all players play/ defend in their own positions, unless tied in, and not keep popping up here and there, hooker first!
BeeJay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BeeJay »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Wow this is gonna be great anyway, weather says cloudy with sunny spell but I have a dodgy iPhone forecast. Anyone knows better?
The BBC is saying sunny intervals, 11-12°C with a ESE wind of around 15mph/24kph (i.e. wind blowing from right to left as you come out of the players' tunnel).
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicester are 2/5 and Stade 27/10.

Weather sunny spells and 11 deg C at kick off.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

ourla wrote:Leicester are 2/5 and Stade 27/10.

Weather sunny spells and 11 deg C at kick off.
Thanks ourla. :smt023
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

If I was the opposition, I'd be more concerned seeing Fitz at 5, Croft at 6 and Kitch on the bench - and Veainu would worry me far more at 15 with Thomo on the wing and Tait available if necessary.

Having said all of that, it's a really good looking side (and bench) and I fully expect to be delighted by a great performance and resounding win! :smt003

(While I'm on - a temporary (I hope) medical condition makes the distance from the train station too daunting. Anyone know how good / available taxis are to and from the ground?)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BeeJay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BeeJay »

strawclearer wrote:Anyone know how good / available taxis are to and from the ground?
I'm sure there's always cabs parked outside the railway station. As for the return journey, I guess you'd have to book one.