2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours and Transfers Thread Part 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: 2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours and Transfers Thread Par

Post by kpj tiger »

Keeping Genge & recruiting Hamilton & somebody like Maitland would make me feel very confident about next season
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kpj tiger wrote:Van Vurren was only ever going to be a stop gap player like Greg Peterson and Jack Whetton last year, shame as he showed some good glimpses but with 3 ahead of him next year it makes sense
Indeed. I think he's actually a very good player from what was seen of him, but with the signing of McGuigan rumoured before he arrived he was never going to be offered a full time deal.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

kpj tiger wrote:Keeping Genge & recruiting Hamilton & somebody like Maitland would make me feel very confident about next season
Ideal. Wrap the squad up by signing Genge and Hamilton, plus either Maitland, or try and bring Lewington home???
Would give us great depth and balance.

As for the quotes surrounding Hamilton being happy and wanting to stay in France, he says he enjoys the rugby centric training as opposed to strength and conditioning focus of the Pro12, well with Mauger at the helm and our ongoing mission to play heads up expansive rugby, may well be appealing. From what I've read since the rumours emerged, Hamilton appears he could be another McCafferey type gem.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

was reported as being available and has been spoken to on tonights rugby hour.
cheers
Rich
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

All I can say is Van who, blink and you've missed him! I know we sometimes need to recruit stop gap players, but in reference to Van Vurren the words stop and gap seem to be misnomers. We definitely need a new No.8 if we are not going to play Laclan McCaffrey in this position. I must say though that Fanua had a much better game on Saturday last against the Warriors but I would still only use him as third choice for that position.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Until Fonua gets fitter (hopefully a full preseason and a good run of fitness) will do that he is only going to be effective against smaller teams.

Against teams with players like Masoe etc he needs to bring more to the park as you can't run over them.
champanzie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by champanzie »

Is it just me that wouldnt want to see Lewington back? I dont rate him at all.
I think Veainu is one of the best fullbacks in the premiership! Lewington coming back to Tigers would mean he would be behind Veainu and Tait.
I think we need a player like Vesty who could play anywhere in the backs when needed.
Definately need a new No.8, McCaffrey is our only decent option at the minute. Fonua and Crane are nowhere near the standard we need.
Come on you tigers!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

champanzie wrote:Is it just me that wouldnt want to see Lewington back? I dont rate him at all.
I think Veainu is one of the best fullbacks in the premiership! Lewington coming back to Tigers would mean he would be behind Veainu and Tait.
I think we need a player like Vesty who could play anywhere in the backs when needed.
Definately need a new No.8, McCaffrey is our only decent option at the minute. Fonua and Crane are nowhere near the standard we need.
I don't really rate Lewington either but many seem like they do..For me he is another Thompstone..great club squad winger but will never push on to be a standout player..
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
champanzie wrote:Is it just me that wouldnt want to see Lewington back? I dont rate him at all.
I don't really rate Lewington either but many seem like they do..For me he is another Thompstone..great club squad winger but will never push on to be a standout player..
I get what you are saying about Thompstone, not a born finisher.

The real myth in the Leicester back 3 is Matthew Tait. According to Wiki, 7 tries in 84 games for Leicester. His pace is all gone and it feels like community service that we are still picking him.

Similar to Northampton and Foden, need to get rid. Not first XV quality anymore.

Lewington. 19 tries in 52 games for London Irish. That is a very good strike rate in a team that is getting pummeled most weeks.

Tait and Crane need to pack their bags. Hate saying that about Tait as from 2005 to 2009 I thought he was gold dust but his quality is gone.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Vesty was a one of really esp in this day and age.

Can't think of any players that can play that many positions really now.

Not ones that will be cheapish at least (Goosen can play most positions but would be ££££££).

Anyway considering Luke Hamilton was mentioned in the merc and RL it is very likely he is coming, Genge is rumoured to already have a club sponsor for next season so suggests he is staying.

leaves us looking at an so far:
McGuigan ----> Ghiraldini
Cilliers ----> Aguero
Genge -------> Tiz (I know he is a TH and Genge a LH)
Hamilton ----> Pearce
Toomua ------> JDV
JPP ---------> Niki
Brady -------> Camacho

Leavers with no replacements so far:
De Chaves
Bell
Bai
Loamanu
Benjamin
Morris

And Question marks still over
Crane
Maybe Brugnara

So could see us 6-8 players down from this season.

Personally would bring up through academy IMO And considering we should have the Anglo welsh cup to break things up a bit and thus should be able to bring in more academy players.
Evans (Not to replace anyone but just bring him up)
Maksymiw --> De Chaves
Bryant ---> Bell
Umaga/Thacker ----> Bai (Might be rushing him but if he isn't a done deal off a senior contract could prob keep him and with the anglo welsh cup back could get game time there)
Odogwu --> Benjamin
Worth ---> Morris

And if Brugnara goes Hogan/Hills/Beckett and if Crane goes Milne (Unless he is wanting to focus on medicine ATM.

Would leave us needing a player to replace Loamanu still I like Yawayawa but prob would be too many youngsters a player and would like to think the cap saved from replacing 5 players with Academy grads could allow to bring in say a player of more experiance

Interesting to note that the average ages of confirmed leavers and Arrivals:
incoming - 25
Outgoings - 28.5
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

darganj wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote: I don't really rate Lewington either but many seem like they do..For me he is another Thompstone..great club squad winger but will never push on to be a standout player..
I get what you are saying about Thompstone, not a born finisher.

The real myth in the Leicester back 3 is Matthew Tait. According to Wiki, 7 tries in 84 games for Leicester. His pace is all gone and it feels like community service that we are still picking him.

Similar to Northampton and Foden, need to get rid. Not first XV quality anymore.

Lewington. 19 tries in 52 games for London Irish. That is a very good strike rate in a team that is getting pummeled most weeks.

Tait and Crane need to pack their bags. Hate saying that about Tait as from 2005 to 2009 I thought he was gold dust but his quality is gone.
I agree with this 100% :smt023

Although apparently according to Irish fans Thompstone was very much a born finisher until a serious leg injury so he has done quite a good job of making himself very reliable as someone like Ashton would have no chance in doing that.

Lewington has looked good in an Irish team that hasn't got a clue about its 10 or its back.
Last season he scored 12 tries in the AP in 21 games inculding a Hat tirck v Saracens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gm3-Bo7fwU which is a similar strike rate to Niki (roughly give or take) not too shabby.

Sadly agree RE Tait and Crane Although TBF Tait was playing very well the last 2 seasons and despite his lack of tries held the a backline that was in all sorts of trouble together but unfortunately this season looks a season to far.
Saying that I wouldn't be upset if Crane and Tait finished off contracts but don't think either will get another.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Regarding Thompstone I think he is a player we would miss now, solid all around, on the verge of being international class.

Tait and Crane I can kind of agree with, Tait maybe still shows flashes of his former self but I think now Veainu is a better 15, Crane I would keep on a low wage contract even if only for what he has done in his time here
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Can I ask if this casual throw away policy for our employees is ok to introduce into where you work, you know, you've been there a while, lets just bin you and replace you with a younger model?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TB, these players are on shortish renewable contracts, unlike ordinary workers, so if they are past it when their contract expires you have to say thank you and goodbye, sentiment cannot come into it f you want to use your budget wisely, and some do need to be on their way!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Rumours on the Barf forum of Steffan Armitage to Wasps. Shurely shome mishtake?! :smt017

Update: The rumour seems to have piqued the indifference of people on the Pests forum. Seems they see him as 'lazy' and that he'll be shown up if he actually has to work hard for the team!
Last edited by strawclearer on Thu May 05, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives