Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2015/16 Squad/Contracts/Rumours and Transfers Thread Par

Post by JackFlashJonny »

darganj wrote:
strawclearer wrote:
Iain wrote:The logic behind signing JDV was sound. It was a good idea as the best possible stopgap before Toomua arrives. Unfortunately it didn't work out, nobody was to know that he'd pick up the injuries he had. As it turns out, the form of Matt Smith and Manu Tuilagi has meant it's not really mattered in the end.

To blame him or show animosity towards him for the injuries he's had or to blame the club for signing him is a bit weird if I'm honest.
More than 'a bit weird' and your post (imho) is spot on!
Entirely disagree.

You are assuming that injuries are pure fluke and that there is no possible way of predicting them.

De Villiers has been so injury prone in last 4 years, Henry Trinder esque levels. He has had more knee injuries than any other pro rugby player. He looked so skinny in lower body at world cup and looked fragile

I wouldn't touch either player with a barge pole. And don't say this is hindsight as I said it at the time. I would also say the same about Liam Williams, Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe etc

Those players play hardly any club games and aren't worth the money.

De Villiers was money poured down the toilet
There is not point trying to look at something logically with those of blind faith..Just be thankful we should hopefully win some more games with the flock praying for us :smt003 :smt023
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

They would have to carry out a risk assessment or just sign him if they have loads of money which they might be pouring down the drain, you pays your money and takes your chance!
Just wonder which way JPP signing might go?
Last edited by LE18 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Sometimes these things work out sometimes they don't.
You could say Toulon were wrong in signing Wilko with his injury record. I would say it worked out for them
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Farmboy wrote:So I take it that people wouldn't sign Dan Carter on a resonable wage as he has had several injuries.
Stupid statement as you don't get world class on reasonable wages.

I wouldn't sign Dan Carter at his going rate, lot of injuries over last few years and not sure he has same motivation post World Cup. Look at Ma'a Nonu, been rubbish for Toulon

At half price, yes I would take a punt on Carter.

You don't want these players though, you want the young amazing ones like Charles Piutau.

I wouldn't sign James O'Connor as he likes too many shandies, but his youthful exuberance and quality transformed London Irish.

People overstate age and experience in British sport and all the fluffy team spirit :censored:.

Just pick the best players and in the modern game, why do you want 35 year old backs who break down constantly
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Farmboy wrote:So I take it that people wouldn't sign Dan Carter on a resonable wage as he has had several injuries.
Or going back a few years, Toulon were stupid to sign Johnny Wilkinson from Newcastle with his track record of injuries.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Or going back a few years, Toulon were stupid to sign Johnny Wilkinson from Newcastle with his track record of injuries.

Or going back two posts, Cagey was stupid not to read this already posted above by Suz :smt003

Plus it is Jonny not Johnny, you don't want to trust those Johnny types they ain't often good.. :smt023
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
A similar reply is the Neil Back response to Harry Thacker.

There are obviously exceptions, but you win more than you lose when you look at facts and go with probability.

Shouting out the odd exception doesn't disprove the main point:

Don't sign injury prone players unless its on a pittance with pay as you play.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

darganj wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:

There are obviously exceptions, but you win more than you lose when you look at facts and go with probability.

Don't sign injury prone players unless its on a pittance with pay as you play.

How many injury prone players have we signed?
Tait and JDV?
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

[/quote]

Or going back a few years, Toulon were stupid to sign Johnny Wilkinson from Newcastle with his track record of injuries.[/quote]

Don't sign injury prone players unless its on a pittance with pay as you play.[/quote]

Tait and JDV?[/quote]

Is this a joke?

Jerome Schuster
Ghilradini always injured for Treviso - 70 games in 6 years
Sicknote Parling - average less than half the games a season
Michele Rizzo - averaged 12 games a year in Italy

I could go on and on. Our due diligence on some signings has been dire.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I was once invited to give an 'end of course' talk to a group of budding 'marketeers' on a 5-day training course. To the annoyance of those running the event, I explained to a fairly captive audience that Marketing was not the exact science of data capture, analysis and interpretation that they had just learned. It was more the art of going in roughly the right direction - sometimes you took the direct route; sometimes it was more 'circumnavigational'.

I think the same applies to squad recruitment.

JdV may not have directly won the Premiership or European Cup for us - but maybe indirectly some lessons; some motivation; some new players attracted by his example; and some 'je ne sais quoi' might contribute to giving us the success, the style of play and silverware that we all want!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

darganj wrote:
Or going back a few years, Toulon were stupid to sign Johnny Wilkinson from Newcastle with his track record of injuries.[/quote]

Don't sign injury prone players unless its on a pittance with pay as you play.[/quote]

Tait and JDV?[/quote]

Is this a joke?

Jerome Schuster

I could go on and on. Our due diligence on some signings has been dire.[/quote]

Schuster was not injured he was just in the same category as Loamanu.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

darganj wrote:

Tait and JDV?[/quote]

Is this a joke?

Jerome Schuster

I could go on and on. Our due diligence on some signings has been dire.[/quote]

Schuster was just a poor player

Ghiraldini played for Italy for large parts of the season hence a lower number of Treviso games, also remember due to them not having relegation he was rested a lot like BOD for leinster

Parling same as above in terms of Internationals, Later on he developed a concussion problem which is hardly in his control
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

darganj wrote:
Is this a joke?

Jerome Schuster

I could go on and on. Our due diligence on some signings has been dire.
Is this a joke?
Schuster not good enough
Parling only become a issue after his most recent contract with us one season was an issue, he had 16 club games whilst being capped for England and in his first year played 30 games for us.
Leo has played a season
2010 - 29
2011 - 9
2012 - 20
2013 - 29
Average - 21 games a season
Rizzo has averaged
2010 - 5
2011 - 27
2012 - 24
2013 - 21
Average - 19.5 games a season

The only thing that is a joke is your research here.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Parling only become a issue after his most recent contract with us one season was an issue, he had 16 club games whilst being capped for England and in his first year played 30 games for us.

The only thing that is a joke is your research here.
Not to mention a certain piece of Parling skill depriving Sarries of a chance to snatch Premiership Final victory.

As you say, don't let good research get in the way of an argument. Obviously 90% of players ever signed by Tigers have proven to be utterly useless... :smt002 :smt003
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

I suppose Aaron Mauger had little off the field impact during his long injury layoffs and as he was being paid to play we should have terminated his contract immediately.