Tigers v Gloucester Rugby - Teams up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

leic

Re: Tigers v Gloucester Rugby - Teams up

Post by leic »

O for god sake leave Ben Youngs alone! He can't help an off day. The bloke probably needs a rest, and I keep saying it, they play to much rugby! I think I'd be bored playing in front of some of the people that post so much negative rubbish on here!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I agree - let's give him a rest! Watching him at rucks is akin to watching paint dry. Not only do the opposition have time to re-organise their defence they have time for a cuppa afterwards.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote:
ellis9 wrote:I wouldn't say Harrison coming on changed the game that much.
Whether it was new instructions or what, he sped up the game considerably. Either that or I was at another game where YBY slowed ball down constantly or took several steps before delivering. :smt017[/quote

IMHO the quality and speed of Ben's service is not what it was and frankly I cannot understand why? That said, his box kicking has vastly improved and he still has a superb attacking running game.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

You only need see the breakdown antics to see the root of any problems.
Leicester don't read the breakdown very well on the whole, moments of some good which you are always going to get over 80 minutes but in general it's a mass of players flying in late, if they are late then that is a sign of something!
Others are not strong enough to look after the ball alone and it sucks others in and slows it all down.
Sometimes it makes no sense to get it out quick for someone to carry who isn't suitable or doesn't have the support required around him, it all gets slowed down for a number of reasons.
BY has never been that confident if he is at risk of getting nailed at the ruck and although Sam will give it a good go anytime he gets stick off people when he does get nailed if ruck protection is poor or gets stick when he doesn't box kick and people think he should.
If you want a fast game then errors in decisions will happen sometimes!
It's a mishmash of players currently who are either too big and slow or too quick and lightweight and systems are affected by numbers, the balance is not very good and they are vulnerable.
That said though get the ball around the 13 channel and we create chaos in attack.
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dave and I may well eulogise about the 13 channel, it was the font of good things in what was a curate's egg of a game.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Ben Youngs doesn't take those couple of steps before passing, he won't find those gaps that suddenly open up which he is so good at (the best in the league). That is why he is so good and will make something happen out of nothing. If that means we have to have slower ball sometimes then so be it. Ben Youngs is top quality.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

ellis9 wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Ben Youngs doesn't take those couple of steps before passing, he won't find those gaps that suddenly open up which he is so good at (the best in the league). That is why he is so good and will make something happen out of nothing. If that means we have to have slower ball sometimes then so be it. Ben Youngs is top quality.
Totally agree!! He did have a bad game but he has played all season well and he is the best at finding gaps.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I think it's harsh for people to criticise Youngs alone. How about Owen Williams? I thought he was poor today and I haven't seen anyone moan about him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Also, Manu's second try wouldn't have happened had Youngs just passed the ball straight from the ruck. He took a few steps, drew 2 defenders towards him, a gap opened up between him and the ruck, which Veianu ran through, Youngs turned and passed the ball to him, gained a few metres, Youngs then passed it and we scored.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Huge fan of Lendrid, but today was not one of his better performances. Class is, however, permanent, and I have no doubt that no one is more critical than YBY himself.

I have to say I shouted myself hoarse cheering that comeback. It was deemed officially ":censored: Good" by She Who Doles Out Praise Sparingly. I will grant that perhaps Tigers shouldn't have got themselves into that position, however.

I was very impressed Tigers held out a difficult Gloucester at the end, and it's always good to see Manu fending players and running with them dangling from his shirt.

I wonder how many other teams would kill for a "transition year" like ours (warts and all).
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Barrow - a very good game. It was interesting watching the huddles as the game was falling apart in the second 20; it was Barrow at the centre doing a lot of the talking.

Evans - cracking debut, with a lot of promise. A great couple of turnovers and the offload to O'Connor was sublime!

Interestingly (and topically after the A League discussion earlier in the week), Andrew Kitchener was lurking in the Goldsmith's after the match. For a 19 year old he's huge (and I'm well over 6ft)!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Barrow - a very good game. It was interesting watching the huddles as the game was falling apart in the second 20; it was Barrow at the centre doing a lot of the talking.

Evans - cracking debut, with a lot of promise. A great couple of turnovers and the offload to O'Connor was sublime!

Interestingly (and topically after the A League discussion earlier in the week), Andrew Kitchener was lurking in the Goldsmith's after the match. For a 19 year old he's huge (and I'm well over 6ft)!
For 19 years old Evans did very well, it was good to see someone making turnovers although Pearce made more last week and never got any credit, then gets a lack of support when he carries well and gets stick off people, doesn't make sense.
I like the offload game but at the right time, another offload was given to Croft by Evans in the 1st half when Croft had two men on him, but the intent was good.
Don't need another Kitchener...need more Barrow's!
Cheery chappy
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The Boy Dave wrote: Don't need another Kitchener...need more Barrow's!
Strange you should say that. The younger Kitchener looked a bit bulkier than his brother; Kitch being a "lanky" type of lock.

Looking forward to seeing Evans again. Maybe this season, but certainly next. He didn't look out of place.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Strange you should say that. The younger Kitchener looked a bit bulkier than his brother; Kitch being a "lanky" type of lock.

Looking forward to seeing Evans again. Maybe this season, but certainly next. He didn't look out of place.
Seen the younger Kitchener play a few times, I was unimpressed...Evans looks to have a bit of fire in him doesn't he, I was impressed!
Cheery chappy
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Hope the citing officer looks at the stamp on ayerzas leg, for me it was dangerous play and could have easily caused serious injury, the comments from Healey and the rest of the bt sport commentators were a joke, that was clear foul play, ref said he was going for the ball but got the leg, it was a clear stamp!!