Tigers v Gloucester Rugby - Teams up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Gloucester Rugby - Teams up

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote:Alas for the Corinthian spirit, it never worked like that. Get in the way while on the ground, the consequences are yours was ever the case. Refs did intervene if it was gratuitous (even in Wales :smt003 ), but a leg preventing quick release (as well as a hand later) was fair game.
The 'Corinthian Spirit' represented the highest standards of amateur sportsmanship whatever the sport. In rugby, it was acceptable to let an offending player wear a few stud marks on a Monday morning - but not a plaster cast.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I'm not saying I think people should be able to stamp on people, I'm saying that players used to be able to do it if the opponent had a hand, leg or anything where it shouldn't be.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I know what the rules say, but in practice any body part ( head excepted) that was obstructing the ball got stamped on. Also bridging hands. Now they can't be, all sorts of illegal stuff goes on at the breakdown, often not spotted by the ref. Slows the game down and is irritating
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

I wonder if I played a much 'softer' version of the game

fleshy parts (like a thigh or shoulder) = raked to high heaven - stud marks for a few days but nothing broken
prone part (like an ankle or knee) = steer clear but get either side of the joint
head = don't go near it with the boot at all
hands = rake and twist (extra bit of pain but no real damage) - hands have no reason to there, they're easy enough to move

The only time anyone gratuitously lay all over the wrong side they knew what they were getting, and it'd only happen in desperate circumstances not at every single ruck
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:I wonder if I played a much 'softer' version of the game

fleshy parts (like a thigh or shoulder) = raked to high heaven - stud marks for a few days but nothing broken
prone part (like an ankle or knee) = steer clear but get either side of the joint
hands = rake and twist (extra bit of pain but no real damage) - hands have no reason to there, they're easy enough to move

The only time anyone gratuitously lay all over the wrong side they knew what they were getting, and it'd only happen in desperate circumstances not at every single ruck
I note "rake" not stamp. This to me is fair game. Stamping should always attract a penalty at least.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:I wonder if I played a much 'softer' version of the game

Exactly, IMO rucking (with the correct use of a boot) is a big loss to the game. Unless you are taking one for the team you don't lie on the wrong side, seal-off etc. I have been the recipient of many a good 'clearing out' during my playing days and you learn pretty quickly how to go into a tackle and ruck. There would be no need for the 'roll away' antics we see today.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

You can't take the law into your own hands.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think - I hope - the vast majority of us are furiously agreeing with each other...

In the event of illegally laying on the ball - sensible rucking / raking good; stamping bad.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

It'd be interesting to know if current players (at the high level) are in agreement about 'sensible!!' rucking, or whether it's just the 'don't like it up 'em' brigade of past glory years.

Watching 3 games this weekend I saw attackers being deliberately pinning defenders into the back of the ruck to try and force a penalty, are they then fair game for a shoeing?

The law is already in place and enforced regarding slowing the ball down, and i'm fairly sure 3pts against a team (at higher levels) these days is more of a deterrent than a few stripe marks.