Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Sale v Tigers

Post by darganj »

[/quote]
The best teams are trained and encouraged to play on the edge and mistakes are expected. This is the case with every top team. Frankly it's beyond me as to how you can disagree.[/quote]

All Blacks error rate is below every other international team.

Time for a cold shower h's dad.....
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

I wouldn't have minded so much if the errors last weekend had resulted from 'playing on the edge'. But the errors were largely a failure of basics - catching, tackling and putting the ball down for a try. I have no idea why we are doing so many simple things wrongly. But if we can't do the simple things we will struggle to get near the edge and do the difficult things.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I haven't looked to see if this has been covered by previous posts but this week aren't we literally kicking ourselves , we could have won the match 3 times over, particularly if Goneva had kept his head and scored THAT TRY. It came at an important time in the match and knocked the stuffing out of us for the next 15 minutes.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

darganj wrote:
The best teams are trained and encouraged to play on the edge and mistakes are expected. This is the case with every top team. Frankly it's beyond me as to how you can disagree.[/quote]

Time for a cold shower h's dad.....[/quote]
But that is NOT the way they are told to play. They are NOT told to go out there and avoid making mistakes. Their philosophy is about getting better at what they do, not doing stuff that can't go wrong.

Nothing wrong with a cold shower for anybody who's been anywhere near a rugby pitch. But I wouldn't expect you to know that.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

DaveRave wrote:I wouldn't have minded so much if the errors last weekend had resulted from 'playing on the edge'. But the errors were largely a failure of basics - catching, tackling and putting the ball down for a try. I have no idea why we are doing so many simple things wrongly. But if we can't do the simple things we will struggle to get near the edge and do the difficult things.
Can't argue with that. Perhaps it's the result of the Tigers' recruitment drive a while back to find kids with big feet.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Smudge wrote: What are the coaches doing? Every player I have ever coached has learned the
basics, in that you cut your options when you carry the ball in only one hand and have every chance of getting it stripped from you. (Or dropping it)
Haven't posted for a while - but (as a coach who spent years shouting 'two hands' at my charges from the touchline) this made me smile. I attended a senior club academy session a while ago which was predicated on teaching the players to carry the ball in one hand (and low on the hip) to enable close quarters one handed offloading. Doesn't preclude carrying the ball in two hands at the right moment, but it is an illustration that what counts as coaching wisdom can change.

A bit of calm. This season, Sale have beaten Saints, Wasps, Exeter, Quins and drawn with Sarries at home - so Tigers losing there isn't that much of a shock. The disappointing thing is it could have been a draw or a win - just a bit more composure at critical moments. The loss isn't season-ending. Mauger has stepped up from assistant coach at Crusaders to head coach at Tigers, that is a reasonable step into a different environment. He's also had to deal with some pivotal injury losses. So the fact it's not been completely smooth running isn't particularly a shock either. Still in with a shout of top four and a Euro Quarter to go. Could be worse :smt002
Flawborough

Post by Flawborough »

I have just wanted to thank Kend for a realistic analysis of the situation. There seems to be a lot of aggression on this topic, I know we are all passionate about the club but I honestly feel that with the new players brought in, plus the others due next season, the club is heading in the right direction.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

h's dad wrote:
darganj wrote:
The best teams are trained and encouraged to play on the edge and mistakes are expected. This is the case with every top team. Frankly it's beyond me as to how you can disagree.

But that is NOT the way they are told to play. They are NOT told to go out there and avoid making mistakes. Their philosophy is about getting better at what they do, not doing stuff that can't go wrong.

Nothing wrong with a cold shower for anybody who's been anywhere near a rugby pitch. But I wouldn't expect you to know that.[/quote]

I only played for 18 years.......

Correct me if I'm wrong but Sarries play to minimise errors 80% of the time and they are the best team in Europe.

Leicester do not have the players capable of playing an all court game. An all court game requires a lot of athleticism and our forwards in particular just aren't capable of it.

Barrow, Crane, McCaffery, Williams, Slater etc are not ball players. Neither is Cole.

An all court game relies on forwards being able to pass.

Also some of the backs have hands like feet currently, Tait has been the worst offender and Goneva not far behind.

The biggest club in England won't have made it to a final for 4 years by this time next year. And I don't see us doing it next year unless we improve our 4 -8.

Our 4-8 is nowhere near Sarries or Wasps
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

darganj wrote:
h's dad wrote:
darganj wrote:
The best teams are trained and encouraged to play on the edge and mistakes are expected. This is the case with every top team. Frankly it's beyond me as to how you can disagree.

Nothing wrong with a cold shower for anybody who's been anywhere near a rugby pitch. But I wouldn't expect you to know that.[/quote]

I only played for 18 years.......

Correct me if I'm wrong but Sarries play to minimise errors 80% of the time and they are the best team in Europe.

Leicester do not have the players capable of playing an all court game. An all court game requires a lot of athleticism and our forwards in particular just aren't capable of it.

Barrow, Crane, McCaffery, Williams, Slater etc are not ball players. Neither is Cole.

An all court game relies on forwards being able to pass.

Also some of the backs have hands like feet currently, Tait has been the worst offender and Goneva not far behind.

The biggest club in England won't have made it to a final for 4 years by this time next year. And I don't see us doing it next year unless we improve our 4 -8.

Our 4-8 is nowhere near Sarries or Wasps[/quote]
Now why didn't you write that in the first place instead of reinforcing Roly's error?
I would suggest that Saracens play more of a percentage game, very different to error avoidance, as well as being different to the All Blacks.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

h's dad wrote:
darganj wrote:

So basically, you've been proved to be pretty much in agreement and respond by suggesting that anybody disagreeing with you hasn't been near a rugby pitch.

Good, now I can put any further response from you on any subject on this forum into context.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Roly wrote:
h's dad wrote:
darganj wrote:

So basically, you've been proved to be pretty much in agreement and respond by suggesting that anybody disagreeing with you hasn't been near a rugby pitch.

Good, now I can put any further response from you on any subject on this forum into context.[/quote]
I think you're confusing cause and effect which might cause you problems with context.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I need an Asprin now.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

RagingBull wrote:I need an Asprin now.
Sorry RB. Perhaps we need a separate thread posing the question of whether playing rugby with the philosophy of avoiding mistakes can deliver outstanding performance.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

h's dad wrote:The best teams are trained and encouraged to play on the edge and mistakes are expected. This is the case with every top team. Frankly it's beyond me as to how you can disagree.
:smt043 this is Roly you are talking about. I'm sure he disagrees with himself sometimes :smt002
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Sir Clive. T-Cup. Thinking clearly under pressure. Not necessarily mistake proofing but making the right call, difficult or easy, at the right time, more often.

Thus sometimes the easy thing to do is the right thing to do, sometimes the innovative reaps dividends. What is important is the head is clear and the right thing is done.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"