A presentation of the forces in presence

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

A presentation of the forces in presence

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Right. I KNOW that the 10th of April is not very near. BUT I can't wait! Ain't been in Welford Rd since Tigers/Glaws in 2012 (a million thanks again BJ for the invite), and I ain't come in your beautiful city with my pink squad since 2007.

So drooling with anticipation would be an apt metaphor. I therefore offer to do something useful : a full presentation of the squad, position after position. That should take us some time.

I'd be very grateful if you could do the same with the mighty Tigers. I hate to admit it but I kinda lost contact with this powerful gang and I don't know who is who since Martin Johnson left the ranks (joking of course, but then...)

So :
Looseheads

Heineke Van Der Merwe (SA) One of the very best signings of Stade Français. Never complains, impeccable at scrum time and tackles like a loosehead who tackles very well. And quite often. Alas, alas, had to go under the knife because of an ancient knee wound that was not well treated. Will he be available for Welford Rd? Hm. Doubt it.

Sakaria Taulafo (Samoa)

Is innocent ! Free our comrade! Police brutality! Er...well... That WAS a spear tackle (against Masoe on the 12th of March) and the disciplinary committee is bound to speak soon. Sakaria had another yellow card turned red by the supervision committee for a shoulder charge. So he looks like he is in trouble for the beginning of April. Apart from that one of th emost charming men I know.

OOops, client calling, I'll be with you in a minute !
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Re: A presentation of the forces in presence

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Where was I...? Ah, looseheads!

Zurabi "Zouzou" Zhvania (Georgia)

One of the most tonic loosehead I know. Knows his way to the try line. Can play hooker. Should be featured against the frightening Tigers. Problem with Zouzou is that his national squad spotted him and he plays tournament B during the Six Nations.

Dany Priso (suburbs)

Nice chap and strong too. Can play hooker. When everyone was at the RWC, he tried his best, with some mitigated results. But he has heart, and he opted to sign in La Rochelle next season to "gain confidence and experience" as he told us poor supporters. Could be on the match list due to injuries and suspensions.

:smt041
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Looseheads

Emmanuel Felsina (France) : played only a few games but shone against Treviso and Bordeaux. Alas, on the occasion of the aforementioned game he got injured (aponevrosis ??? :smt017) and he is out for six weeks.

Hookers

Laurent Sempéré (Catalunya)

He is innocent! Free our comrade! Etc.! Suspended for the Welford Rd encounter he is a precious asset to the club, with, on his day, an extremely accurate throw in and good mobility. Experience as well. Anyway, he is less a supporter's daisy than the awesome, the stupendous :

Rémi Bonfils (Paris)

Rémi is part of the generation of youngsters that gained playing time when the club was almost under administration. He proved to be a determined young man, apt at throwing in and a true warrior. Proudly Parisian. Back from injury. Of know : survived the Nov 13 attacks where he heard quite a few bullets whistling to his ears. :smt009

Aled de Malmanche (NZ) His throw in is said to have prevented him from being an All-Black. Has also a history of injuries. When fit and indomitable warrior with great ball abilities and quite a pace too. Important : very often plays loosehead for the club and, boy, is he good at it!

Craig Burden (SA) : came as a medical joker to Rémi Bonfils. Good soldier. The club is supposed to have added him on the EPRC listings. Will he see Welford Rd? Dunno.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

For the Tigers, we have the consumate loosehead, and the serially over-worked Marcos Ayerza. Simply unique.
Then we have Logovii "fluffy" Mulipola. Good scrummager on both sides but can be devastating in the loose. There are few ball carriers in world rugby that I would less like to be running at me!
Aguero has come in on injury dispensation for Rizzo; very experienced but we havent seen enough of him due to injury.
Then we have the newly-acquired Ellis Genge. Exciting prospect if he can put his 'off the field' issues behind him.
After that, we're into the academy.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Thanks for the info. I forgot to say that Priso and Zhvania are regular features of our academy.

Info : Taulafo is suspended until April 11th!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Bien venue Ze Stade fan You don't sound French which region of paris do you live in. In the late 60's I spent 10 months working in Paris,when I lived in Issy les Moulineux.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Thanks for the info. I forgot to say that Priso and Zhvania are regular features of our academy.

Info : Taulafo is suspended until April 11th!
But 2016 is a leap year so surely under French rules, rather like French Leave or filer a l'anglais, he will report for duty on 10th. :smt003
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Noddy555 wrote:Bien venue Ze Stade fan You don't sound French which region of paris do you live in. In the late 60's I spent 10 months working in Paris,when I lived in Issy les Moulineux.
I live inside Paris, in the third district, near Place de la République. Issy Les Moulineaux has changed, you wouldn't recognise the place ! Not a working class district any longer! Old ladies and Chelsea tractors! :smt009
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

So, tightheads... at the pace I am writing, I am not sure to have completed the squad by april 9. Anywayn tightheads:

- Rabah Slimani (France international)
The great, the awesome, the fearsome, Rabah Slimani, a young talent developed at the club. Especially known for his talent at scrum time... Well wasn't he a bit under performing against Italy recently? We'll see. The Ayerza/Slimani confrontation should be a royal treat for the scrum aficionado.

- Paul Alo-Emile (Convict)
Slower in the running game than Rabah, he is kind of okay at scrum time. Works a lot, very dedicated. He could have saved our bacon earlier in the season, but was detained in Australia for visa problems.

I guess our resources in tightheads are very limited. Poor Stade Français ! :smt009
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Stade beaten / trashed by Toulouse even without Floody ~ 36-3 :- http://www.planetrugby.com/news/bonus-p ... -toulouse/ Bring them on & make sure Tigers have a top back row & turn up for the game.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

wormus wrote:Stade beaten / trashed by Toulouse even without Floody ~ 36-3 :- http://www.planetrugby.com/news/bonus-p ... -toulouse/ Bring them on & make sure Tigers have a top back row & turn up for the game.
That is quite correct : Stade were minced to bits, trampled upon, thrashed, trashed. Beaten.

But the line up for the game, due to injury and necessary rest of the internationals was :

Zhvania - Bonfils - Alo Emile
Mostert Pyle
Macalou - Lakafia - Alberts

Daguin - Steyn
Vasinuibu - Bosman - Williams - Arias
Sinzelle

Whereas the team you could face in two weeks time could be :

De Malmanche - Bonfils - Slimani
Flanquart Pyle
Burban - Parisse - Alberts

Dupuy Steyn (or Plisson)
Camara - Danty Waisea Sinzelle
Bonneval.

The game in La Rochelle on Sat 2nd of april will tell who's hot and who's not !

:smt017
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Locks :

Pascal Papé : (ex international, France) old warrior of many combats! A bit hot tempered, but his faith in his club is immense. Scored seven tries in one season (2010 ? 2011 ?) Slowly pushed on the bench by his adoptive son in rugby :

Alexandre Flanquart : (international, France) Tall indeed and not very bulky, his impacts are not the strongest one. He compensates that with a great agility at the lineout and indomitable tackles. Great pusher at scrum time.

Hugh W Pyle : (future Wallaby) That man is a gem of a player. Not very physical on impact but a graceful way of running forward like an outside center. Devastating tackles, not to mention the counter-jumps. You should hear about the boy at international level. Should be paired with Flanquart.

Paul Gabrillagues : (France, Paris, city of love)
Although his last name tells of Southern France influences, the boy was born hard and late in Paris. Plays with the academy but his qualities call him very often to the big boys' team. Jumps high and tackle hard, learning some of the subtleties and dark arts at present. Father owns a café, which makes him a precious asset to the supporters.

Gerard Mostert : (SA) always here when the others ain't fit, a great club player and a true baby-faced SA gentleman. Hunts. Must eat his preys to be so big. :smt003
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Third row : abundance, there

Sergio Parisse (Italy) What a hero ! Great hands, incredible apetite for the ball, can kick. I bet he also can sing opera and juggle with chainsaws. But you know him all too well. Will captain in Welford Rd if not injured (back)

Jono Ross (SA) has captained the Bulls, I was told. Great at number 8 but also a formidable flanker (blindside and openside are British distinctions and we do not care about them in France, pah ! :smt019 ) Could very well start at 6 or seven.

Raphael Lakafia : France. Tackle, tackle, tackle, and can play 8 as well although he told me he feels better at 6. Impressive stats I was told

Wilhelm Alberts (SA) the "bonecrusher" ! Alas, this romantic, poetic, subdued gentleman seems to be injury prone. Fit for now, could be fielded against the Pantherae Tigris (excuse my Latin)

Antoine Burban (Born in Paris, yes sir) : a precious, indomitable tackler (sometimes above 20 successful tackles) could be fielded in Welford Rd.

Sylvain Nicolas (France) More discreet but has also shown great abilities both in stopping the opponent and jumping at the lineout.

Sekou Macalou : (France, another gem from our very own suburbs) destroyed Munster. His stats are those of a young man, irregular. Will be a great of the game if he keeps a cool head.

Mathieu Ugena (from Stade's academy) Is usually called when others are at the World Cup, promising but young, recently injured.

On an unrelated note, a very moving portrait of your own Manu Tuilagi, his sins and redemption, in the supplement of Midi Olympique this Monday. The yellow rugby newspaper also vaunts your exploits against the Cherries and says it would be nice to have both the Champions Cup AND the Premier League in the same city. I call that artificially symmetric wishes, you'll have plenty to celebrate with the Premier League alone ! :smt040
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'll write up a guide to the players who are likely to play for the Tigers this Sunday

Loose Head

Marcos Ayerza (ARG)
World Class, probably the best scrummaging loose head around whilst carrying well, also knows when to pass or when to take contact which is pretty rare for props in the AP

Logovi'i Mulipola (SAM)
A beast of a man, probably the best ball carrier in our team, holds up well in the scrum but is lacking fitness at the moment, expect him to replace Ayerza for the last 30 minutes, can also play Tighthead

Ellis Genge (ENG)
New kid on the block, former England U20's who carries hard and scrummages well for his age and experience, only here on loan from Bristol at the moment but a more permanent move looks likely

Unavailable - Michele Rizzo (ITA), Matias Aguero (ITA)

Hooker

Harry Thacker (ENG)
The smallest forward in the AP but don't let that fool you, carries like a man 3x his size, throws well in the lineout and hooks in the scrum, he can also play 7. Has a mean pass on him too.

Greg Bateman (ENG)
Hard to say as he hasn't played for us much, huge bloke who carries pretty well, fast when he gets going but can sometimes lack concentration

Michael Van Vurren (SA)
Stade fans know about this guy

Unavailable - Tom Youngs (ENG), Leonardo Ghiraldini (ITA)

Tighthead

Dan Cole (ENG)
A rock in the scrum for Tigers and England, carries well, great over the ball.
Not much else to say really.

Fraser Balmain (ENG)
Does the basics pretty well, not amazing in the scrum though, can carry well when he gets some speed up
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Lock

Ed Slater (ENG)
Club Captain, Leicester Born, should be an England International but for injury, Carries hard and gives us great leadership, can play 6 & 8 also.
Might miss the game to a persistent knee problem

Graham Kitchener (ENG)
Calls in the lineout very well, very mobile but perhaps lacking a little strength, again should be an England International

Dom Barrow (ENG)
Martin Johnson mark 2 IMO, Carries like a beast, work rate is unparalleled, discipline is an issue though

Mike Fitzgerald (NZ)
New arrival for 2015/16 and boy what a signing, great all around player with a good offloading game, 50/50 if he will be fit for Sunday, Can play 6

Sebastian De Chaves (SA)
A crowd favorite who is leaving for London Irish at the end of the season, arrived an unknown and has developed a lot in the past 2 seasons, works hard and very passionate

Blindside Flanker

Tom Croft (ENG)
Not the player he was but still top quality, immense in the lineout and still has decent pace, work rate questionable though

Unavailable - Mike Williams (ZW)

Openside Flanker

Brendon O'Connor (NZ)
Classic New Zealand Openside, great over the ball and great linkman, tackles like a machine too, gives away penalties though, can play 8

Lachlan Mcaffery (AUS)
Like O'Connor but carries harder whilst slightly less mobile, standout player this season, can also play 6 & 8

Number 8

Opeti Fonua (TON)
Tongan man mountain, has struggled with injury and fitness but when he has played he's been pretty effective

Jordan Crane (ENG)
Workhorse, doesn't do much flashy but bleeds Green, White and Red, control in the scrum is outstanding

Laurence Pearce (ENG)
Carriers hard and is very mobile, struggles with ball retention and work rate can be poor