Would you have Farrell playing for tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Would you have Farrell playing for tigers?

Post by h's dad »

darganj wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
LE18 wrote:Excuse me, but did anyone watch Sarries v Exeter, Fazlett was excellent, MOM, ran a great line and scored a super try, I think we should put away our prejudices!
Why? I'm prejudiced against a lot of players I would not like to see in my team. If they played in my team it would make my team someone else's team.
Big Dai, why don't you watch the Sarries games from this year? He has been the best back in the Premiership, utterly dominates games.

He then gets played out of position for England and does a good job.

The guy is a world class 10. Hopefully you begin to see that as the approach the semis and finals of the Prem and Europe.
darganj, not sure you've actually read Big Dai's posts but you've just outed yourself as, if not a Sarries supporter, at least anti-Tigers. Rather than seeing him as world class in the Premiership towards the end of the season, everybody else on this board is hoping for a dramatic dip in his form in this competition. Except for Ellis of course who already thinks he's rubbish - now there is the embarrassment.

For my two pennorth I think I'm with Big Dai, however good he is, I like to be able to support the man as well as the player and there is something about Farrell that stops me doing that. Also, i think he needs a longer run of form to be called world class, not so long ago he did seem to go through a, hate to use the word mediocre for any Premiership player, less than stellar patch.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

Why? I'm prejudiced against a lot of players I would not like to see in my team. If they played in my team it would make my team someone else's team.[/quote]

Big Dai, why don't you watch the Sarries games from this year? He has been the best back in the Premiership, utterly dominates games.

The guy is a world class 10. Hopefully you begin to see that as the approach the semis and finals of the Prem and Europe.[/quote]
darganj, not sure you've actually read Big Dai's posts but you've just outed yourself as, if not a Sarries supporter, at least anti-Tigers. Rather than seeing him as world class in the Premiership towards the end of the season, everybody else on this board is hoping for a dramatic dip in his form in this competition. Except for Ellis of course who already thinks he's rubbish - now there is the embarrassment.

For my two pennorth I think I'm with Big Dai, however good he is, I like to be able to support the man as well as the player and there is something about Farrell that stops me doing that. Also, i think he needs a longer run of form to be called world class, not so long ago he did seem to go through a, hate to use the word mediocre for any Premiership player, less than stellar patch.[/quote]

I'm an England supporter first, Leicester second.

I hope we see all the England players produce world class performances.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Let me explain again why I think Farrell isn't very good. In my opinion, a fly half should be one of, if not the biggest playmaker on the pitch. The number 1 priority is to get the team attacking by using various skills and do it various different ways. I wouldn't be picking a fly half because of his defence or goal kicking being a higher percentage. I'd want my fly half to be attack minded as the team should be playing to win and not pick a fly half to stop the other team scoring. If the fly half does what I'd like them to do, and the team also plays well, you'd win more matches than lose and win titles and trophies.

Farrell does not offer what I think a fly half should, so therefore, my opinion of him is that he is rubbish. He does not have the skills and doesn't look like he can learn those skills.

If your opinion is that a fly half just needs to be the best goal kicker and (apparently) strong defensively) then obviously you will rate Farrell highly. I do not rate him and never will unless he adds those required skills to his game although I don't think he is actually able to.

For those of you wanting to see Tigers play a more "easy on the eye" style of rugby, should not want Farrell in a Tigers shirt.
covrich

Post by covrich »

Farrell was sublime for Sarries on Saturday.. He has really improved this season for them especially in the Euro Cup

He isn't playing there for England now granted but he is standing outside a 10 who is struggling and to b fair to George some of the service from 9 has been really poor.

Whether people rate him or not or whether they think he should have the 10 shirt for England I can understand the debate, but one thing people cannot believe people say is he is "rubbish".
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

ellis9 can you read this thread from wasps fans:

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read ... 8,15581821
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes I have just read it. What was on there to make me change my mind?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

darganj wrote:ellis9 can you read this thread from wasps fans:

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read ... 8,15581821
Sometimes the horse that you lead to water is a mule...
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

More neutral observers stating Farrell's attacking prowess, line breaks, quality passing at the gain line etc
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Neutral observers? Such as who? Other clubs fans? How are they more neutral than fans of Leicester?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

darganj wrote:Why? I'm prejudiced against a lot of players I would not like to see in my team. If they played in my team it would make my team someone else's team.

The guy is a world class 10. Hopefully you begin to see that as the approach the semis and finals of the Prem and Europe.[/quote]

For my two pennorth I think I'm with Big Dai, however good he is, I like to be able to support the man as well as the player and there is something about Farrell that stops me doing that. Also, i think he needs a longer run of form to be called world class, not so long ago he did seem to go through a, hate to use the word mediocre for any Premiership player, less than stellar patch.[/quote]

I'm an England supporter first, Leicester second.

I hope we see all the England players produce world class performances.[/quote]

I'm a Tigers fan first, I like Exeter more than I like England and Bath more than I like Wales.

I have seen the Sarries game, I don't live in complete isolation. We gave the steam telly back last year.

Farrell did play well.............but I don't want him as a Tiger. I think we have more to gain by developing Williams and the question is a daft one because Sarries won't get shot of him until he's crocked.

He is the enemy, despite his talent, one of THEM. He is Rommel to our Montgomery, Napoleon to our Wellington!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

What a daft question, I'd have Farrell playing for me if he suddenly decided to bulk up and become a prop. His form this season is almost beyond belief. Mind you given the current salary cap could we afford him and Manu in the same team?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Farrell is fast turning into the best fly-half in Europe..during the WC I was not a fan and championed Ford but Farrell has really added to his game (maybe Hodgson has been helping him) I would have him here in a heartbeat the guy is a winner..
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm obviousy watching the wrong bloke, becasue the Fazlet that was rubbish a couple of seasons ago has improved immensely and is a very good AP player. An international 10 he ain't by any stretch of the imagination however. A reasonably good 2nd 5/8, yes, an international standard goalkicker, yes. But overall and specifically, not a 10. I do wonder if some on here have seen a good 10 aside of Wilko (IMO a close comparison to Fazlet, though miles better).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

LE18 wrote:Excuse me, but did anyone watch Sarries v Exeter, Fazlett was excellent, MOM, ran a great line and scored a super try, I think we should put away our prejudices!
+1. I eluded to this on another post. I was a non-Farrellite but in the past few seasons he has improved from a deep 10 to a shallower 10. He tackles well - if sometime a little high and his kicking is not in doubt. His time at 12 for England has IMO given him more skills than he would have had if he had played at 10. EJ wanted the backs on the front foot after his back row made it over the gain line. To have Farrell at 10 then I believe he would have naturally dropped back to his comfortable deep 10 position, also being able to have another option with Farrell at 10 EJ could mix the plays up and keep the opposition guessing. Farrell's game against Exeter was, like all the returning Sarries, really good - Farrell created a lot of chances and scored from one of his own. He does need to have a bit more control playing on the edge but from his U20 days with Ford he has done well. If he continues in this vein he will take the 10 shirt from Ford. If he was available for the Tigers - you would crazy not to consider it?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

As a selector, the first name you write on the team sheet is your 10, and in the modern game that means a 10 who will unwaveringly kick your points. The rest of the team sheet should be built around that 10.

This is perhaps why the likes of Cipriani hasn't been called forward for England. He's mercurial at times but his kicking percentages are poor of late. Lest we not forget that he missed 5 penalties v Sale at Welford Rd, which could have made a bad score line even worse. Dancing through a Tigers defence that looked like a group of 5 year olds with rickets doesn't outweigh his poor kicking form.

Williams at the weekend kicked long and it roiled out dead, an experienced 10 would have put that ball into the corner (or as far down the pitch into touch as was safe). Neither Burns nor Williams has impressed this year.

Would I have Farrell? Yes, his kicking percentages are well above average. He is solid defensively and is tactically aware.

Thing is, is he really a 10? I think he's better at 12 personally. The prejudice against him seems to built on the rather parochial mind-set that he's 'the enemy' or other rubbish like that.

If he were to sign for Tigers, I don't think his lineage would (or should be) an issue. The issue would be whether 10 or 12 suited him better, and if the latter, would he be an asset.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.