Would you have Farrell playing for tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Would you have Farrell playing for tigers?

Post by wellstiger »

Hypothetical debates Just like Rocky Marciano or Ali do get blood pressure up.
Farrell re Tigers
Ford for England
Brown sauce or Tomato sauce.

All posts re Farrell bear one fact - Marmite - love him or hate him.
My jury is still out.

I believe we have the best to come for many years in Owen Williams ( If we can keep him)
Burns is - My MARMITE ( other yeast spreads are available)
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Here's a debate.

I was given my taste and taught Rugby by my sports teacher, No other than the great BOB BARKER.
He was a Tiger and England International at a similar time to the also great DUSTY HARE.

So then FARRELL - BARKER OR HARE ????
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

wellstiger wrote:Here's a debate.

I was given my taste and taught Rugby by my sports teacher, No other than the great BOB BARKER.
He was a Tiger and England International at a similar time to the also great DUSTY HARE.

So then FARRELL - BARKER OR HARE ????
So, the debate is, choose between Farrell, who is very much alive and playing, and Barker or Hare, neither of which are playing and I'm not entirely sure that either is still alive without checking?

Good debate.....hmmm, it'd have to be Farrell for me.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Dusty has been chief scout at Saints for some years now. I'm sure somebody would let us know if anything happened to him. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume wellstiger means when at their peak, I know it's all a bit theoretical.

I think player development has moved on so much that you'd have to go with Farrell as a player. If however you were to pick as ranked among their contemporaries at the time you've got to put the all time first class rugby points record holder at the top of the list and first on the teamsheet (even if he's not a 10) which would keep Farrell at least out of the starting XV as the strength of his kicking is negated. Sorry wellsy, don't know much about BB.

Not sure how relevant comparing a 10, 11 and 15 is but hey ho.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly, I disagree with you yet again.

Firstly, you are saying Cipriani was given an easy ride against Tigers (so that you could get yet another dig in at the team) so we can't say whether or not he is good enough for England. Fair enough, you can't base it on one performance and I don't. That is why based on numerous performances, my opinion is that Cipriani is good enough for England and Owen Farrell, definitely isn't. That is why I think Cipriani is a very good player and Owen Farrell isn't.

By the way, I never used to think Cipriani was good enough but recent seasons have changed my mind. Owen Farrell could still change my mind but he has to change his style of play otherwise my opinion of him being rubbish will continue.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Ellis9, whilst fully respecting your opinion, I find it hard to accept that you describe Farrell as rubbish. He trains hard and performs week in and week out either fir England or Saracens. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he has more talent than most of us on the forum.
He has been given opportunities and has taken them and put in some solid performances as well as poor.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Tigerbeat wrote:Ellis9, whilst fully respecting your opinion, I find it hard to accept that you describe Farrell as rubbish. He trains hard and performs week in and week out either fir England or Saracens. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he has more talent than most of us on the forum.
He has been given opportunities and has taken them and put in some solid performances as well as poor.
Some people can't move beyond what he was as a player 3 or 4 years ago.

Why let form, or maturing into a better player, cloud their preconceptions
Flawborough

Post by Flawborough »

I can not disagree with what has been said about him being vastly improved and a more complete player. Their is however a nasty streak in the man which does not appeal. We all like to play a hard game but he sometimes crosses that line and his attitude can be horrible to say the least
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

He shines in the AP, he definitely doesn't IMO at international level. Sure he would be good at Tigers, but think OW far more potential.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It doesn't matter if you're in the form of your life, if you don't have the skills that someone (me) wants from you, then you aren't good enough. Like I've said before l, the skills I feel you should have as a fly half, Farrell does not have. If he learns them, my mind can be changed. Until then, I will never rate him. Others do. It's all about opinions.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:It doesn't matter if you're in the form of your life, if you don't have the skills that someone (me) wants from you, then you aren't good enough. Like I've said before l, the skills I feel you should have as a fly half, Farrell does not have. If he learns them, my mind can be changed. Until then, I will never rate him. Others do. It's all about opinions.
And if you think that Cipriani is better than Farrell, who is rubbish, then I don't think we need concern ourselves with any more of your opinions.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote:Roly, I disagree with you yet again.

Firstly, you are saying Cipriani was given an easy ride against Tigers (so that you could get yet another dig in at the team) so we can't say whether or not he is good enough for England. Fair enough, you can't base it on one performance and I don't. That is why based on numerous performances, my opinion is that Cipriani is good enough for England and Owen Farrell, definitely isn't. That is why I think Cipriani is a very good player and Owen Farrell isn't.

By the way, I never used to think Cipriani was good enough but recent seasons have changed my mind. Owen Farrell could still change my mind but he has to change his style of play otherwise my opinion of him being rubbish will continue.
No I didn't say he got an easy ride, and if I was having a dig at the team, it was entirely merited, if not intentional.

Cipriani better than Farrell?

Keep taking the pills.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Roly wrote: And if you think that Cipriani is better than Farrell, who is rubbish, then I don't think we need concern ourselves with any more of your opinions.
Pretty Royal 'we' there. Why don't you cease your chippy ad hominem posting and allow posters to make up their own minds.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't think I've agreed on any of your opinions either Roly but believe it or not, we are all entitled to one and people do have different ones. Maybe you should learn that people will have different opinions and views from yourself before getting into adult discussions.

My opinion is that Farrell is rubbish, yours is that he is good.

Your opinion of being a supporter is to criticise pretty much everything about it the club, mine is to get behind them and you know, support them.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TomWeston wrote:
Roly wrote: And if you think that Cipriani is better than Farrell, who is rubbish, then I don't think we need concern ourselves with any more of your opinions.
Pretty Royal 'we' there. Why don't you cease your chippy ad hominem posting and allow posters to make up their own minds.
:smt023 bravo.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.