France v England team news

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrG
Tiger Cub

France v England team news

Post by MrG »

Marler and YBY to start on bench, replaced by Care and Vunipola. Surprised at Ben's change personally don't see what Care brings.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Re: France England

Post by maroontrunks »

YBY is a bit of a bete noire for England Fans on Facebook and the comments sections of various newspapers. Generally a lot of griping about 'slow service'. They also seem to have the knives out for Dan Cole as well.

I also don't see the point of having Youngs on the bench, Care is a much better impact player and Youngs has the necessary control for the tight game that England has been playing.

I do trust EJ on the whole, though, even if I was a bit skeptical initially. Care starting seems more like rotation and a commitment to a different kind of game plan. I doubt he cares about the moany comments on the Facebook page (or is even aware of them!)
covrich

Re: France v England team news

Post by covrich »

In fairness Cole has now conceded 15 penalties this 6 nations.. Whatever angle you take, that is a problem.

Youngs I think is a mixed bag he does some really really good stuff but his service can be really slow and I know Ford is a little short but passes to his laces and 1 foot over his head do not help him..

Care seems to work well as an impact player, although his Impact last game was rather negative..
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Spedding Vakatawa (oooooh those French names !) Fickou Mermoz Fofana
Machenaud Trinh Duc
Le Roux Goujon Chouly
Maestri Flanquart
Slimani Guirado Poirot

Ooooooooh pooooor France ! :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:Spedding Vakatawa (oooooh those French names !) Fickou Mermoz Fofana
Machenaud Trinh Duc
Le Roux Goujon Chouly
Maestri Flanquart
Slimani Guirado Poirot

Ooooooooh pooooor France ! :smt009 :smt009 :smt009

If that team clicks (ok, it's a big if!) then we may be in for a surprise, but somehow, I think the Slam is England's for the taking.
Semper in excretia
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Robespierre wrote:
Ze Stade Fan wrote:Spedding Vakatawa (oooooh those French names !) Fickou Mermoz Fofana
Machenaud Trinh Duc
Le Roux Goujon Chouly
Maestri Flanquart
Slimani Guirado Poirot

Ooooooooh pooooor France ! :smt009

If that team clicks (ok, it's a big if!) then we may be in for a surprise, but somehow, I think the Slam is England's for the taking.
Think so too. But as I am always the pessimist, I post ooooooooh without even arguing! :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

It is hard to say this because Care is a Yorkshire man after all, but my worry with him is that he will always do something daft during the course of a game. On a good day he may do something that is brilliant as well, but I worry that he is something of a loose cannon at times. I would have preferred Ben to start. The press seem to have been getting on his back and singling him out for criticism, when some of the faults lay at the door of George Ford, blaming Ben for poor passes instead of commenting on Ford not playing heads up rugby.

The penalty count issue in respect of Dan Cole does seem to be a problem. A number of my friends up here commented on it during the world cup as well. He does always try to get over the ball at the ruck and sometimes I think goes for lost causes. Similarly at the scrum he seems to be being pinged too often, not always fairly which may be down to chats between officials pre and post match, I don't know. It is difficult when you get the wrong side of officialdom generally to rescue your reputation, so perhaps he just needs to take a step back sometimes.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

maybe the plan is to bring Ben and Manu on together and fully unleash the wrecking ball with 20-30 to go in Paris
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:maybe the plan is to bring Ben and Manu on together and fully unleash the wrecking ball with 20-30 to go in Paris
I hope it works better than last week with Manu. He must keep his enthusiasm under control and not 'dog-leg' the back line.

Having N. Owens in charge will be of benefit tho' IMO
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
covrich

Post by covrich »

If Manu is going to play 12 long term the dog legs have to be cut out or the line at least needs to move with him
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

He isn't going to be playing 13 for Tigers long term. Otherwise why sign Matt Toomua? What COULD happen though is Manu popping up at 12 on specific plays. I think the vision is for fluidity in positions the way Mauger coaches.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

I have been quite a critic of YBY's apparent lethargy, but in his last England game he was much quicker. Unfortunately, his accuracy, whilst improving, is still somewhat lacking, and even though I think Ford should have either dummied his kick last week or at least not kicked the ball, it didn't help having to pick up a ball from his toes.

Whether Care is any better is a moot point though.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Am I the only one who thought Farrell's kick on half time went through?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Since there wasn't a replay on French TV you can be certain it was.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

tigercaspian wrote:Am I the only one who thought Farrell's kick on half time went through?
I thought it went over too. But to be fair, the penalty should have gone the other way. Mako bought it down.

Even though as a Tigers fan, I am glad that Coley scored, I just cannot believe it was given. Absolutely shocking decision by "the world's best ref". I can't think of a more blatent block.